This is the thing about white people...

I think you all need to stop this race baiting claptrap, look at individual people instead of whole races of people based on the actions of a relative handful of people. If a person treats me with dignity and respect I'll reciprocate that same dignity and respect. If he doesn't thats a different story and I will not tag everyone that belongs to his race as racist.

I do not see why your question is relevant. I'm pointing out that blacks also held slaves and that white women, married to the plantation owners were every bit as much at the mercy of the plantation owner as the slaves were, think about it, would you want your husband having sex with the help, slaves or not? 5% of the population of this country held slaves, some of that 5% were free blacks.

Of course we care about Haiti but I for one, care more about our own country. Then again, I know a lot of poor people and I do my best to help. I give out lunches to the homeless once a week. I've taken in a disabled man who can't afford an apartment and can't live on his own and his mother, well, she wasn't doing what was best for him and when he came to us her first complaint was the loss of his rent money...she didn't even bother coming to find out where he was going and what kind of a home it was.

I've taken in homeless men, one of them was black. Of course I'm sure the blacks on this board will find a way to turn that into a racist remark as well.

This is an example of black children in the 60's who were not afforded the same education as you and your white friends. Don't forget that we got second hand school material and when it came to learning about our own history it was very limited. Not our fault!! So whose fault was it?

Huh? The black man I took in is 22, hardly someone who is a victim of 60's education.

I had schoolbooks that were 2nd, 3rd, and 33rd hand, I hardly see how that leads to a 2nd class education. My brother in law is black, he was educated in the 40's and 50's. He's only a few months younger than my mother would be if she were still alive today and she was born in 1929. He got a college education. Now, he lives in a very nice house and has had a very good income most of his life, again, hardly the victim of a 2nd class education. He has it much better than the young black man we took in, at least in his day there were jobs....

My parents had something at home called "encyclopedias" yeah they were second hand, but they had information in them and we used them in our school reports. Plus the library was free. If you got a 2nd class education, you have no one to blame but yourself, once you learn to read, the world is open for you and you can learn anything you want. My grandfather was a self educated man and I've learned a lot more since I got out of school than I ever learned in school.

BTW, I went to junior high and high school with blacks in the 70's. How is it my education was any better than theirs? We went to the same school, we got the same books.

If you want to learn about your own history, go to a LIBRARY...they've always been available in this country and they've always been free, to EVERYBODY!!! And if they don't have the books you are looking for in that particular library, they can order it from other libraries.

Good grief, when did you become a victim?

What a load of hot air, you need to wake up and stop being naive or either you need to lay off the apologist act. Are you making the case that separate but equal was a good thing that blacks failed to take advantage of? If thats the direction you're headed you need to take the blinders off.

What a load of hot air, you need to wake up and stop being naive or either you need to lay off the apologist act. Are you making the case that separate but equal was a good thing that blacks failed to take advantage of? If thats the direction you're headed you need to take the blinders off.

no, however, I think busing was the worst idea ever. We needed to make the neighborhoods interracial and that way the schools would be interracial. I live in a neighborhood with people of all races. I have a family with people of all races. We have a black president and yet we still hear blacks complaining about how unfair everything is for them.

Sooner or later YOU are responsible for YOU. You can no longer blame schools in the 60's. This is 2010, FIFTY years later. Things have changed. Get OVER it.

So, I shouldn't voice my opinion when I read something that I don't like? Just because the other person is outdated doesn't make me, at the same time I have a right to say what's on my mind just like you and everyone else on this board. By the way, do you look at Young & the Restless?

Forum List

Back