This is not true, is it? Removing confederates from Arlington?

If passed as-is, this amendment would require that the federal government desecrate the graves of 482 Confederate soldiers buried in Arlington National Cemetery. The soldiers are buried in a circle around a massive, 106-year-old monument commemorating the Confederate soldiers who died in the Civil War. Every President since Teddy Roosevelt has laid a wreath at this monument. Yes, that includes Barack H. Obama. He paid his respects to the Confederate dead buried in Arlington back in 2009.

Warren's amendment would require that the memorial be removed from the grounds of Arlington. It is impossible to do this without disturbing the grave sites around the monument…

But it actually gets worse. Elizabeth Warren's amendment is so poorly written that while it gives an exception for gravestones, it does not exempt the graves themselves. Since being buried in Arlington is considered an honor, a literal reading of Warren's bill would require these Civil War soldiers to be exhumed and moved off the premises. Just think about how small of a person someone would have to be to write an amendment in 2020 that could force the exhumation of 482 Civil War soldiers because they disagree with the cause they fought for…

Even in a best case scenario, the graves would get to stay, but Arlington wouldn't be able to advertise where they're located. No signage… no mention in the maps… no helpful directions from staff… Anyone who has ever been to Arlington looking for a specific grave knows it is next to impossible to do without help and directions. So best case, the Confederates get to stay buried, but no one would be allowed to know where they are…
Well, if you actually READ the bill, it doesn't mandate that everything simply be removed. Each monument and everything else will be looked at and debated before anything is done. But why let the facts get in the way of your white supremacist outrage?

—The Secretary of Defense shall establish a commission relating to assigning, modifying, or removing of names, symbols, displays, monuments, and paraphernalia to assets of the Department of Defense that commemorate the Confederate States of America or any person who served voluntarily with the Confederate States of America. (c) DUTIES.—The Commission shall— (1) assess the cost of renaming or removing names, symbols, displays, monuments, or paraphernalia that commemorate the Confederate States of America or any person who served voluntarily with the Confederate States of America; (2) develop procedures and criteria to assess whether an existing name, symbol, monument, display, or paraphernalia commemorates the Confederate States of America or person who served voluntarily with the Confederate States of America; (3) recommend procedures for renaming assets of the Department of Defense to prevent commemoration of the Confederate States of America or any person who served voluntarily with the Confederate States of America; (4) develop a plan to remove names, symbols, displays, monuments, or paraphernalia that commemorate the Confederate States of America or any person who served voluntarily with the Confederate States of America from assets of the Department of Defense, within the timeline established by this Act; (5) include in the plan procedures and criteria for collecting and incorporating local sensitivities associated with naming or renaming of assets of the Department of Defense.
wooow, sooooo original, a Left Winger accusing someone of being a racist, that has never been before LMAO
Liberals are stuck in a rut
Oooooh, a Right Winger avoiding an issue by making an ad hominem argument, that has never been before. How about you respond to the SUBSTANCE of my argument? How about doing that?

Just curious.....but what does Superbadbrutha think of Biden saying he looks forward to hearing from his nigg** friends on live tv? And it was with a hard R, mind you. Another slip of the tongue?We all heard it wrong? Whats your thoughts on it?

I don't care. If you're going to talk about it, don't say "the N word." I hate that. If you're going to talk about it, then say ******. ******, ******, ******. OK? I don't use that word in my everyday life. It's offensive. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. But if you have to talk about "the N word" for whatever reason, then say "******." We're not ten-year-olds.

Just curious.....but what does Superbadbrutha think of Biden saying he looks forward to hearing from his nigg** friends on live tv? And it was with a hard R, mind you. Another slip of the tongue?We all heard it wrong? Whats your thoughts on it?

I don't care. If you're going to talk about it, don't say "the N word." I hate that. If you're going to talk about it, then say ******. ******, ******, ******. OK? I don't use that word in my everyday life. It's offensive. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. But if you have to talk about "the N word" for whatever reason, then say "******." We're not ten-year-olds.

HA HA HA HA HA! I can't even post the word on this message board!

If passed as-is, this amendment would require that the federal government desecrate the graves of 482 Confederate soldiers buried in Arlington National Cemetery. The soldiers are buried in a circle around a massive, 106-year-old monument commemorating the Confederate soldiers who died in the Civil War. Every President since Teddy Roosevelt has laid a wreath at this monument. Yes, that includes Barack H. Obama. He paid his respects to the Confederate dead buried in Arlington back in 2009.

Warren's amendment would require that the memorial be removed from the grounds of Arlington. It is impossible to do this without disturbing the grave sites around the monument…

But it actually gets worse. Elizabeth Warren's amendment is so poorly written that while it gives an exception for gravestones, it does not exempt the graves themselves. Since being buried in Arlington is considered an honor, a literal reading of Warren's bill would require these Civil War soldiers to be exhumed and moved off the premises. Just think about how small of a person someone would have to be to write an amendment in 2020 that could force the exhumation of 482 Civil War soldiers because they disagree with the cause they fought for…

Even in a best case scenario, the graves would get to stay, but Arlington wouldn't be able to advertise where they're located. No signage… no mention in the maps… no helpful directions from staff… Anyone who has ever been to Arlington looking for a specific grave knows it is next to impossible to do without help and directions. So best case, the Confederates get to stay buried, but no one would be allowed to know where they are…
Well, if you actually READ the bill, it doesn't mandate that everything simply be removed. Each monument and everything else will be looked at and debated before anything is done. But why let the facts get in the way of your white supremacist outrage?

—The Secretary of Defense shall establish a commission relating to assigning, modifying, or removing of names, symbols, displays, monuments, and paraphernalia to assets of the Department of Defense that commemorate the Confederate States of America or any person who served voluntarily with the Confederate States of America. (c) DUTIES.—The Commission shall— (1) assess the cost of renaming or removing names, symbols, displays, monuments, or paraphernalia that commemorate the Confederate States of America or any person who served voluntarily with the Confederate States of America; (2) develop procedures and criteria to assess whether an existing name, symbol, monument, display, or paraphernalia commemorates the Confederate States of America or person who served voluntarily with the Confederate States of America; (3) recommend procedures for renaming assets of the Department of Defense to prevent commemoration of the Confederate States of America or any person who served voluntarily with the Confederate States of America; (4) develop a plan to remove names, symbols, displays, monuments, or paraphernalia that commemorate the Confederate States of America or any person who served voluntarily with the Confederate States of America from assets of the Department of Defense, within the timeline established by this Act; (5) include in the plan procedures and criteria for collecting and incorporating local sensitivities associated with naming or renaming of assets of the Department of Defense.
You’re an idiot. An indoctrinated moron.
The CSA were not traitors or seditionists. They attempted independence.
They failed, their states were reacquired by the USA and maintained statehood and historical significance in the context of the union.
You’re a brainwashed moron. You are more of a traitor than any of these CSA soldiers who fought for their states.

That is exactly what they were traitors and seditionists. Get a new excuse, that one is nothing but Grade A horseshit.
Then we should be able to dig up Black Panthers who looted, killed, destroyed...and all blacks who did nothing for their own communities and killed black children during drive bys. They are not in Arlington, but oh well. Dig up their remains and toss them in a big ditch? That ok with you? They are DEAD. Leave their remains alone.

Did you read that stupid shit before you posted it. Arlington is reserved for men of honor and those men are white, black, hispanic, Asian, etc. Traitors and seditionists shouldn't be buried in a place of honor.

Fighting for freedom should never be labeled treason by any American.

They weren't fighting for freedom numb nuts.

Actually they were fighting for their version of freedom, the freedom of the southern states to continue to impose slavery onto a people who have no such freedom to work for their own living. You seem have forgotten the "States rights" argument by the southern states which was really about the rest of the nation stay out of it.

States’ Rights & The Civil War

You can spin it anyway you like, they were traitors and seditionists and don't deserve to be honored.

Not a spin at all, as my link shows, that it was a political difference that caused the problems that nearly destroyed the union. The Southern states simply refused to give up slavery, thus made a lot of effort to preserve it, "States rights" doctrine was one of their efforts to maintain the right to maintain slavery.

I see that you haven't read my post 21 where I argued that Arlington should NOT have been made into a cemetery. You also missed post 28 and post 30

=====

To sum it up:

1) Arlington was stolen from Robert Lee.
2) Arlington never should have been made into a "national Cemetery", where a mixture of dead people of all walks in life be mixed together.
3) Arlington would have made a splendid museum to expose the evils of slavery that was right next door to Washington D.C.
4) Robert Lee was elevated to a undeserved status at the expense of the true hero Ulysses Grant.
1) Lee was a traitor to his country, and that's the price he paid for it.
2) That's your (racist?) opinion.
3) It is.
4) Agree
He wasn’t a traitor. He had no desire to overthrow the US government. He was looking for independence for his state. Big difference.
Breaking up the Union isn't overthrowing the government? How do you figure?
Did the south want to take over the north?
No, but they wanted the North to let them do whatever they wanted to to their slaves. Why are you defending them? Why are you defending beatings, rape, forced family separations...
I’m not supporting any of that. I’m supporting truth, context and history. You’re a demmunist dupe suckered by history revisionism.

They failed, their states were reacquired by the USA and maintained statehood and historical significance in the context of the union.
You’re a brainwashed moron. You are more of a traitor than any of these CSA soldiers who fought for their states.

That is exactly what they were traitors and seditionists. Get a new excuse, that one is nothing but Grade A horseshit.
Then we should be able to dig up Black Panthers who looted, killed, destroyed...and all blacks who did nothing for their own communities and killed black children during drive bys. They are not in Arlington, but oh well. Dig up their remains and toss them in a big ditch? That ok with you? They are DEAD. Leave their remains alone.

Did you read that stupid shit before you posted it. Arlington is reserved for men of honor and those men are white, black, hispanic, Asian, etc. Traitors and seditionists shouldn't be buried in a place of honor.

Actually they were fighting for their version of freedom, the freedom of the southern states to continue to impose slavery onto a people who have no such freedom to work for their own living. You seem have forgotten the "States rights" argument by the southern states which was really about the rest of the nation stay out of it.

You can spin it anyway you like, they were traitors and seditionists and don't deserve to be honored.

Not a spin at all, as my link shows, that it was a political difference that caused the problems that nearly destroyed the union. The Southern states simply refused to give up slavery, thus made a lot of effort to preserve it, "States rights" doctrine was one of their efforts to maintain the right to maintain slavery.

I see that you haven't read my post 21 where I argued that Arlington should NOT have been made into a cemetery. You also missed post 28 and post 30

=====

To sum it up:

2) Arlington never should have been made into a "national Cemetery", where a mixture of dead people of all walks in life be mixed together.
3) Arlington would have made a splendid museum to expose the evils of slavery that was right next door to Washington D.C.
4) Robert Lee was elevated to a undeserved status at the expense of the true hero Ulysses Grant.
3) It is.
4) Agree
He wasn’t a traitor. He had no desire to overthrow the US government. He was looking for independence for his state. Big difference.
No, but they wanted the North to let them do whatever they wanted to to their slaves. Why are you defending them? Why are you defending beatings, rape, forced family separations...
I’m not supporting any of that. I’m supporting truth, context and history. You’re a demmunist dupe suckered by history revisionism.
You didn't answer my question: Why are you defending the South? You say that you don't support beatings, rape, or forced family separation. All those things took place under slavery. If you support slavery, then you support those things, don't you?

=====

To sum it up:

3) It is.
4) Agree
You didn't answer my question: Why are you defending the South? You say that you don't support beatings, rape, or forced family separation. All those things took place under slavery. If you support slavery, then you support those things, don't you?
I’m defending history and my country, the US, from demmunist overthrow. You’re a part of that overthrow.

=====

To sum it up:

3) It is.
4) Agree

=====

To sum it up:

3) It is.
4) Agree
I’m defending history and my country, the US, from demmunist overthrow. You’re a part of that overthrow.
You still didn't answer my question: Why are you defending THE SOUTH? The South is not the country, whatever it might be to you. And how are you defending history?

=====

To sum it up:

3) It is.
4) Agree

=====

To sum it up:

3) It is.
4) Agree
The Confederates rose up AGAINST the United States of America. Don't you get that? You're defending the opposite of our history and our country.

What about Arlington house and property that was stolen from Robert Lee?

What about it? The biggest mistake they made was not hanging Lee and all the other traitors after the war, exiling their families from the country and demonizing them in the history books.
"The biggest mistake they made was not hanging Lee and all the other traitors after the war",

Though I'm of the left I disagree about war graves, and particularly your statement above.
As I understand it Robert E Lee was offered the position leading the Union Army but declined. His reason - he was born in Virginia and his state had voted to secede from the Union. He was allowed to get on his horse and ride off across the Potomac to join his troops at Richmond, Virginia. The Union powers in office at the time did nothing to try and stop him. Indeed they could have Court Martialed him. Charged him with Treason and hung him within a few days but they didn't. How many Americans would fight against their own state, friends, family, and the town they were born in?

Lincoln had no intention of freeing the slaves before the war started. It was just a tactic to cause maximum disruption once Sherman had pushed deep into Georgia.

As for pulling down statues, I think each must be looked at on their own merits or lack of as the case may be.
Confederate statues definitely not. The southern states and industrial northern states had grown apart. I fail to understand why the founding fathers didn't write a right to secede from the Union into The Constitution. Who would sign into a club you can't leave. In fact, I can't see how denying the right to secede is legal.
Very few of those rebel soldiers had slaves, they were simply fighting for the right of their state to determine their own future. The Civil War was a major part of US history and shaped the country into what it is today. Erasing your own history isn't a good idea for any country.

I have no objection to the removal of Edward Colson. He was a slave trader and that's it.
He wasn't known for anything else. All Bristols fine buildings however should have a plaque stating how much each cost to build them and where the money came from - slave trade in Jamaica.

Statues and memorials are important. Why else would you have them at Auschwitz, Belson, Dachau, etc These graveyards let the world and particularly the young know what happened there. An introduction for further study.

So as I see it, it is all about education to ensure some aspects of a nation's history are not repeated.

What about Arlington house and property that was stolen from Robert Lee?

What about it? The biggest mistake they made was not hanging Lee and all the other traitors after the war, exiling their families from the country and demonizing them in the history books.
"The biggest mistake they made was not hanging Lee and all the other traitors after the war",

Though I'm of the left I disagree about war graves, and particularly your statement above.
As I understand it Robert E Lee was offered the position leading the Union Army but declined. His reason - he was born in Virginia and his state had voted to secede from the Union. He was allowed to get on his horse and ride off across the Potomac to join his troops at Richmond, Virginia. The Union powers in office at the time did nothing to try and stop him. Indeed they could have Court Martialed him. Charged him with Treason and hung him within a few days but they didn't. How many Americans would fight against their own state, friends, family, and the town they were born in?

Lincoln had no intention of freeing the slaves before the war started. It was just a tactic to cause maximum disruption once Sherman had pushed deep into Georgia.

As for pulling down statues, I think each must be looked at on their own merits or lack of as the case may be.
Confederate statues definitely not. The southern states and industrial northern states had grown apart. I fail to understand why the founding fathers didn't write a right to secede from the Union into The Constitution. Who would sign into a club you can't leave. In fact, I can't see how denying the right to secede is legal.
Very few of those rebel soldiers had slaves, they were simply fighting for the right of their state to determine their own future. The Civil War was a major part of US history and shaped the country into what it is today. Erasing your own history isn't a good idea for any country.

I have no objection to the removal of Edward Colson. He was a slave trader and that's it.
He wasn't known for anything else. All Bristols fine buildings however should have a plaque stating how much each cost to build them and where the money came from - slave trade in Jamaica.

Statues and memorials are important. Why else would you have them at Auschwitz, Belson, Dachau, etc These graveyards let the world and particularly the young know what happened there. An introduction for further study.

So as I see it, it is all about education to ensure some aspects of a nation's history are not repeated.
I mostly agree with you. I don't think that hanging Lee would have accomplished much. But I think that the reason the Founders didn't write a right to secede from the Union into the Constitution is because they didn't want that to happen. Look at what just occurred: Republicans let Trump off the hook simply because they claimed that he couldn't be found guilty because he was out of office. That was a very narrow reading of the Constitution.

As far as the main thrust of this thread, I don't see any reason to honor people who rebelled against the United States, no matter what their reasons were.

why is it that communists and nazis like to rewrite history?

This is where you are confused. the people who rewrote the history were the Lost Cause revisionists.

You see, this funny thing happened. The way the Plantation owners got the dumb white trash to go out there and die for their right to own slaves was by terrorizing them into the prospect of what freed slaves would do.

When that didn't happen, they set about the task of rewriting history that the civil war was about "States Rights" and "Economic oppression from the North". They kind of got away with it because Hollywood was willing to romanticize the South with movies like Gone with the Wind.

Too many, and that was the problem. Buchanan is our worst president because he sat there and let it happen.

Not quite. Lincoln was a dyed in the wool abolitionist. The whole reason the South Seceded was because he was an abolitionist. But he was realistic enough to realize you couldn't abolish slavery without an amendment, and the only way you could do that was after the South was defeated and their rights as states were suspended.

Two points here. First, if the South had seceded, it would have very quickly fallen to be a protectorate of one of the European Powers. In fact, the US would not have endured had they lost the civil war or states could just leave whenever they wanted.

Yes, very few Confederate soldiers had slaves. the way they got the poor dumb white trash to go catch bullets for them was by putting the fear that freed slaves would take their land and fuck their women.

Third point- no one is saying "erase history". No one is saying, "let's remove all mention of the Civil War and all pretend THAT didn't happen." No, we need to know about that history, but we need to put it in the right context, because we are still paying for it today.

I'm not even sure who that is, but let's look at the other figures. Lee killed hundreds of thousands of people in a war that he knew was a bad idea. Nathan Forrest was a slave trader before the war, a war CRIMINAL during the war and after the war, he founded the terrorist KKK. There should not be a statue of that man anywhere in the country.

Okay, here's the thing. What we don't have outside of Auschwitz is a heroic statue of Adolf Hitler riding a horse.

These places are preserved, but they aren't preserved as tributes to the Nazis, Wehrmacht or SS. they are preserved as places recording the horror of what was done.

Same thing with the Confederacy. No heroic statues of Lee, Davis or Forrest. What we should remember about the Confederacy is that some people used racism and fear to tear the country apart and caused unprecedented human misery.

=====

To sum it up:

3) It is.
4) Agree
Did ya miss mis question, supa?

You know....I really don't have a problem with discussions on removing the Confederate flag, monuments, or changing the names of schools, and buildings....let's discuss these things.....

but messing with the dead? That's a bridge to far...not surprised however that the left is doing this though.....

It should be noted that the Cherokee Nation sided and fought with the Confederates.....the same Cherokee that Sen Warren claims to be a part of. I hope she cancels herself from the US Senate because of her ties to the Confederate army

They were Pardoned; all Americans now!!

Greg

They still don't deserve to be honored.

Negroes still have no appreciation of the charity White Americans have given blacks....both yankees and southerners.

The best think that ever happened to the Africans but the worst thing for America was them being brought over here.

They are now being used as useful idiots by the democrats to further divide America and to fundamentally change it to the point where we will be so weakened we will not be able to defend ourselves from adversaries who are tooling up to take us down as we speak.

Racist propaganda at it's best. Now watch not one right winger will attack this hate speech, why is that?
I have a question of my own for ya. Not one black person has attacked hate speech from blm towards left wingers. Why is that?

Give me a few examples.

=====

To sum it up:

3) It is.
4) Agree
Did ya miss mis question, supa?

Nope. I asked you to give me some examples

=====

To sum it up:

3) It is.
4) Agree

=====

To sum it up:

3) It is.
4) Agree
You still didn't answer my question: Why are you defending THE SOUTH? The South is not the country, whatever it might be to you. And how are you defending history?
History is important, retard. I’m defending the preservation and context of history.
Who dropped you on your head?

=====

To sum it up:

3) It is.
4) Agree

=====

To sum it up:

3) It is.
4) Agree
The Confederates rose up AGAINST the United States of America. Don't you get that? You're defending the opposite of our history and our country.
Again, you’re a retard. The south seceded, the north refused to recognize that secession and then fought to reclaim the south. The north were the aggressors.

=====

To sum it up:

3) It is.
4) Agree

=====

To sum it up:

3) It is.
4) Agree
Again, you’re a retard. The south seceded, the north refused to recognize that secession and then fought to reclaim the south. The north were the aggressors.

That's called Treason, what do you think would happen today if SC decided to break off from the US.

They were Pardoned; all Americans now!!

Greg

They still don't deserve to be honored.

Negroes still have no appreciation of the charity White Americans have given blacks....both yankees and southerners.

The best think that ever happened to the Africans but the worst thing for America was them being brought over here.

They are now being used as useful idiots by the democrats to further divide America and to fundamentally change it to the point where we will be so weakened we will not be able to defend ourselves from adversaries who are tooling up to take us down as we speak.

Racist propaganda at it's best. Now watch not one right winger will attack this hate speech, why is that?
I have a question of my own for ya. Not one black person has attacked hate speech from blm towards left wingers. Why is that?

Give me a few examples.
The vid isn't enough?

Forum List

Back