This Is NO Pet

I'd be more concerned with how that thing got into my car!

Yeah, me too,.. but I think the article said that it took place in Australia or something. They have enermous spiders down there and snakes which is enough to keep me out!

I hate snakes more than spiders, (however funnily enough I think trantulas are cute lol) but I remember one time when I encountered a wolf spider out by my front door and that image in my mind of it still gives me nightmares!

Yeah, me too,.. but I think the article said that it took place in Australia or something. They have enermous spiders down there and snakes which is enough to keep me out!

I hate snakes more than spiders, (however funnily enough I think trantulas are cute lol) but I remember one time when I encountered a wolf spider out by my front door and that image in my mind of it still gives me nightmares!
I could deal with a tarantula.

But yeah, I'm still working out some karma with spiders.

At least, not for me. I'm more of a cat and dog person.

I went through a phase when I kept tarantulas as pets.

I gave up on it because they were too short-lived for my liking. Female tarantulas can live for many years, but males have much shorter lifespans, and I kept winding up with males. It's very difficult to tell the difference between a male tarantula and a female, until a male has his last molt, at which time hooks appear on his front legs that play a part in mating. At that point, he doesn't have very long left to live, and his only goal in life is to try to find a suitable lady spider with whom to mate before he dies.

I believe that some spiders are being domesticated. So, owning a black widow is not illegal. Just don't use it as a weapon to get rid of your exes. :oops: (Then it becomes an "assault and battery" with a deadly spider.)

Also, do not ever put sodium chloride on an electrical storage device. That would be salt and battery.

I think trantulas [sic] are cute…

Ever seen a jumping spider, of the genus Phiddipus?

ZSC_9861sq1200.jpg

There was a big wolf spider that lived next to a window in the machine shop where I worked. One day I caught a fly and threw it into the web. After a while, the spider came out and grabbed the prey. I repeated this a few times and the spider quickly learned to watch my gestures and by the time any fly I tossed hit the web, the spider was on it. I wouldn't call it a pet, but we definitely established a contact, a relationship. It certainly wasn't afraid of me any more.

I went through a phase when I kept tarantulas as pets.

I gave up on it because they were too short-lived for my liking. Female tarantulas can live for many years, but males have much shorter lifespans, and I kept winding up with males. It's very difficult to tell the difference between a male tarantula and a female, until a male has his last molt, at which time hooks appear on his front legs that play a part in mating. At that point, he doesn't have very long left to live, and his only goal in life is to try to find a suitable lady spider with whom to mate before he dies.
When I was out with my dad for six months we collected up about four different spiders off the patio instead of smashing them or spraying them off with the hose. I put them in a jar out of curiosity to watch them. Call it boredom. My dad (on hospice) couldn't do much so he got really interested in the spider families that lived in the big jar. It gave him something to do feeding the spiders. Each one created its own little space in that jar and several laid eggs even. Funny thing was my mom even got into seeing that the spiders were okay because it gave dad something to do.

Learn your animals and insects.

I keep spiders around my apartment, if they are the right kind. Other ones get tossed over the railing into a bush or out in the grass.

I know what spiders eat small insects, and which ones eat larger bugs, and which ones bite humans. The ones that eat gnats and flies get to stay and get free rent. Usually though, if I find them inside, I will put them out on the patio.

Same goes for snakes and other creatures. Learn which ones are beneficial to humans and their homes, and which ones need to be moved somewhere else.

Forum List

Back