This Happened Right Outside Of My Job

uptownlivin90

Rebelious Youngin
Oct 16, 2009
Maryland
So I get off from work at Bolling Air Force Base (I currently work as a civilian) at about 7 last night and decide to stop and get some pizza in Southeast DC near this old Italian pizza place a few blocks away, before I pick my nephew up from basketball practice. I'm standing outside of the place waiting for my two pizzas, talking to a few dudes I know from the neighborhood and no less then about three blocks away shots ring out, clear as day. Two gunmen apparently shot into a crowd full of people and killed 4 people and wounded 5. Luckily no children were hit. All I can say is I pray for those families who were effected and I'm glad I live in the suburbs.

Gunman sprays DC crowd, killing 4 and wounding 5

By NAFEESA SYEED (AP) – 9 hours ago

WASHINGTON — A gunman sprayed bullets from a moving vehicle into a crowd in southeastern Washington, killing four and wounding at least five others, before leading police on a chase into neighboring Maryland.

Three people were arrested in the drive-by shooting Tuesday. The D.C. councilman who represents the area said a dispute between groups in the neighborhood apparently caused the shooting.

The Associated Press: Gunman sprays DC crowd, killing 4 and wounding 5

So I get off from work at Bolling Air Force Base (I currently work as a civilian) at about 7 last night and decide to stop and get some pizza in Southeast DC near this old Italian pizza place a few blocks away, before I pick my nephew up from basketball practice. I'm standing outside of the place waiting for my two pizzas, talking to a few dudes I know from the neighborhood and no less then about three blocks away shots ring out, clear as day. Two gunmen apparently shot into a crowd full of people and killed 4 people and wounded 5. Luckily no children were hit. All I can say is I pray for those families who were effected and I'm glad I live in the suburbs.

WASHINGTON — A gunman sprayed bullets from a moving vehicle into a crowd in southeastern Washington, killing four and wounding at least five others, before leading police on a chase into neighboring Maryland.

Three people were arrested in the drive-by shooting Tuesday. The D.C. councilman who represents the area said a dispute between groups in the neighborhood apparently caused the shooting.

I wouldn't feel so safe in the surrounding suburbs if i were you. :eusa_whistle:
before leading police on a chase into neighboring Maryland.

You have absolutely nothing to worry about. The appelate court just over ruled the supreme court. (Still laughing) the gun ban remains. youre safe dude. LOL

Damn, glad you weren't closer.

One time I was going to a show in NYC and got on a line to get in and realized that I was in the wrong line, as the people in the line obviously weren't going to the show I was going to. Apparently a short while afterwards someone shot at the crowd on the line I was in, killing a couple of people.

Tragic tragic event. But the question begs to be asked.. I thought DC was a gun free zone?

I wouldn't feel so safe in the surrounding suburbs if i were you. :eusa_whistle:

True. I travel on the same interstate the chase occurred on to get home. Damn shame. I live pretty far from the city though, about 30 miles south so I'm not usually that concerned. It's my nephews I'm more concerned about, they live right on the DC/Maryland line which isn't the best place to live. The craziness has to stop. Truth be told I'm wondering if Obama's going to address this, the neighborhood it happened in is just a few miles from the White House.

Ummm ... dude ... WHO stops in SE DC at 7 PM? I'm a jarhead and was smart enough to know better.

Tragic tragic event. But the question begs to be asked.. I thought DC was a gun free zone?

Exactly. The gun ban in the city hasn't worked, it's ridiculous, DC is as "gun free" as it is "people getting shot free", obviously they need to stop this silly ban and start focusing on real solutions, like ending the drug war and bringing in more jobs. The ban has done FAR more harm than good to the city (in fact it's done no good to the city), and I'm waiting for the idiots that have been running the city into the ground to realize it. I just wish people would get it threw their heads: PROHIBITION DOESN'T WORK.

Ummm ... dude ... WHO stops in SE DC at 7 PM? I'm a jarhead and was smart enough to know better.

I used to live a few blocks from the neighborhood, so I'm real familiar with the area and most of the people. The pizza place is my mom's favorite so I stop there on my way home from work every once and a while.

True. I travel on the same interstate the chase occurred on to get home. Damn shame. I live pretty far from the city though, about 30 miles south so I'm not usually that concerned. It's my nephews I'm more concerned about, they live right on the DC/Maryland line which isn't the best place to live. The craziness has to stop. Truth be told I'm wondering if Obama's going to address this, the neighborhood it happened in is just a few miles from the White House.
No President has ever tamed DC

Lincoln got assassinated in DC.

DC sucks

Exactly. The gun ban in the city hasn't worked, it's ridiculous, DC is as "gun free" as it is "people getting shot free", obviously they need to stop this silly ban and start focusing on real solutions, like ending the drug war and bringing in more jobs. The ban has done FAR more harm than good to the city (in fact it's done no good to the city), and I'm waiting for the idiots that have been running the city into the ground to realize it. I just wish people would get it threw their heads: PROHIBITION DOESN'T WORK.

Emphasis mine.

What? Losing jobs in DC? Boo fucking hoo. So is the rest of the country. How about Obama deal with all of it, instead of DC?

Christ on a bike, Uptown. Why do you think DC is so damned special. Place is a cess pit. Millions of Americans are out of work - across the country - DC is not special just cuz POTUS happens to be there.... for 4 years.

I wouldn't stop in SE for much of anything, let alone a pizza. The ONLY time I enter THAT quadrant is on The Hill. South of the Anacostia? Not on a bet.

Emphasis mine.

What? Losing jobs in DC? Boo fucking hoo. So is the rest of the country. How about Obama deal with all of it, instead of DC?

Christ on a bike, Uptown. Why do you think DC is so damned special. Place is a cess pit. Millions of Americans are out of work - across the country - DC is not special just cuz POTUS happens to be there.... for 4 years.

Is this serious? You do realize I was talking about Mayor Fenty and the local city government when I was giving criticism about how the CITY is being run right? Or did you miss the part about the "idiots running the city"?

Honestly, get an f-ing life.

The only thing I want Obama to address is that there were nine people shot at and four people killed a few miles away from his house. Urban violence is something most presidents just kind of run away from, rather than addressing. Being that Obama is the big bad community leader from inner city Chicago I've been waiting for him to actually deal with it. He had opportunity after opportunity go by last summer like when a cookout in Baltimore City got completely gunned down and twelve people got shot including a pregnant woman and a two year old. Then the Derrion Albert case in which Obama made a statement and we never saw any action or hint of solution.

Nobody said DC was special. DC has it's own problems it's got to work out. However urban violence in general is something I'd like to see Obama at least attempt to deal with.

Emphasis mine.

Is this serious? You do realize I was talking about Mayor Fenty and the local city government when I was giving criticism about how the CITY is being run right? Or did you miss the part about the "idiots running the city"?

The only thing I want Obama to address is that there were nine people shot at and four people killed a few miles away from his house. Urban violence is something most presidents just kind of run away from, rather than addressing. Being that Obama is the big bad community leader from inner city Chicago I've been waiting for him to actually deal with it. He had opportunity after opportunity go by last summer like when a cookout in Baltimore City got completely gunned down and twelve people got shot including a pregnant woman and a two year old. Then the Derrion Albert case in which Obama made a statement and we never saw any action or hint of solution.

Nobody said DC was special. DC has it's own problems it's got to work out. However urban violence in general is something I'd like to see Obama at least attempt to deal with.
I don't want Obama to deal with it. The federal government is intrusive enough (although the District is a special case where the feds actually DO have jurisdiction). Good mayors make a world of difference. Fenty is not an effective mayor, but he is what the people elected. Go figure.

Emphasis mine.

I don't want Obama to deal with it. The federal government is intrusive enough (although the District is a special case where the feds actually DO have jurisdiction). Good mayors make a world of difference. Fenty is not an effective mayor, but he is what the people elected. Go figure.
In my opinion I'd agree with you. One of my biggest examples is the way the war on drugs is fought and how the federal government has been using it to choke the life out of major cities. Same with education which I believe should be a state issue. My experience living in major cities is this, there's really not much a mayor can do to bring down violent crime for to long. Cory Booker had some success in Newark. Indianapolis has seen some good mayors. I'm sure there are a few more good exceptions but for the most part a lot of this senseless violence has it's roots in the War on Drugs, and it forces mayors to have to spend city money on these cameras that are all over the place in Maryland now, and things of that nature. I have no clue how Baltimore City can afford to put almost every street corner under 24 hour surveillance but they're trying. It's one big weird matrix when it comes to running the inner city. It almost seems hopeless, and yes federal government interference has a lot to do with it, but nobody seems to get that.

One of the big reasons why I never registered republican is because though they have some good ideas, they never have been able to translate those ideas into an urban platform. Most "conservative" parties don't. I'm very socially libertarian and fiscally conservative pro-tax cuts, pro-choice, pro-gun, pro-business, anti-prohibition, etc. It's largely because of my URBAN background that I'm like this. Maybe somebody on the right should sit down and really begin to focus on how they can translate their message effectively to urban needs and concerns.

Emphasis mine.

So what do you suggest Obama do about gun violence? As soon as anyone opens his mouth about gun control, all hell breaks lose. Is there something he's supposed to be doing, personally, about gangs? Maybe he needs to find a phone booth and change into his SUPERPREZ costume and roam the streets in a big badass Hummer with automatics attached to the hood. So that's my suggestion. Anybody else got one?

Forum List

Back