This eclipse deal is turning into a dud

tyroneweaver

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2012
Burley, Idaho
I live in the total area and businesses so far are reporting only slightly above average.
Could be lots of free pizza in Sun Valley
One of our favorite czmp sites is right on the red line and there only 5 campers there
I'll watch from the golf course

Complete opposite of that here in Cherokee Appalachia. Place is overrun with tourists. Never seen so many cops on the roads too. Even today people are lined up in rows of cars parked along the Cherohala Skyway, where the exact center passes over.

We'll be looking from there, at a peak about 5400 feet, where it's also of course cooler.

But lotsa people, from Connecticut and NY and Maryland and elsewhere, counting by license plates. I'm thinking we should ride up there and sell snacks and ice cream. We'd clean up.

I live in the total area and businesses so far are reporting only slightly above average.
One of our favorite czmp sites is right on the red line and there only 5 campers there

I'm in the total area in Tenn, and our motels/camp sites are packed. It's probably because we have more people within a day's drive than you do. Nashville can handle an extra 250,000 folks. But some of the little towns in Tenn Kentucky are going to extremes to bring in extra cell towers, supplies, port-a-johns, etc. Most of the small towns have accommodations totally sold out for the 1st time in their history.

25% chance of cloud cover. That'll wreck your Eclipse day if you paid $550 a night to sleep in someone's barn for 2 day.. :biggrin:

I'm in the total area in Tenn, and our motels/camp sites are packed. It's probably because we have more people within a day's drive than you do. Nashville can handle an extra 250,000 folks. But some of the little towns in Tenn Kentucky are going to extremes to bring in extra cell towers, supplies, port-a-johns, etc. Most of the small towns have accommodations totally sold out for the 1st time in their history.

25% chance of cloud cover. That'll wreck your Eclipse day if you paid $550 a night to sleep in someone's barn for 2 day.. :biggrin:

"Extra cell towers"? :wtf:

Dafuck do you need a cell tower during an eclipse for? Weird.

Tourists are like the plague

It's not like in the 1950s or 1960s

now it's like a tsunami of ....them

polluting everything

I stay clear of multitudes .....way clear of them

Volume !!! Can't even get thru to emergency services on the dinky repeaters and towers that cover some of the rural area with more than normal traffic. They just "truck them in".

Besides --- anyone under 40 probably can't find their way back home without cell service for their Navi apps.. Would panic and riot if they could not stream live onto their FaceBook pages. :laugh:

Get with the future Pogo. No cell service == societal collapse and helpless people !!!! :eusa_dance:

Volume !!! Can't even get thru to emergency services on the dinky repeaters and towers that cover some of the rural area with more than normal traffic. They just "truck them in".

Besides --- anyone under 40 probably can't find their way back home without cell service for their Navi apps.. Would panic and riot if they could not stream live onto their FaceBook pages. :laugh:

Get with the future Pogo. No cell service == societal collapse and helpless people !!!! :eusa_dance:

"Navi apps" --- good god what needy drones.

My GPS has no need for cell towers. It runs the old fashioned way --- referennce points from a floating space junkyard. But a very efficient one. And no towers needed.

Tourists are like the plague

It's not like in the 1950s or 1960s

now it's like a tsunami of ....them

polluting everything

I stay clear of multitudes .....way clear of them

-- And some, I assume, are good people....

"Navi apps" --- good god what needy drones.

My GPS has no need for cell towers. It runs the old fashioned way --- referennce points from a floating space junkyard. But a very efficient one. And no towers needed.

Oh that's fine if you want your road map to consist of raw GPS coordinates. To see where you ARE on the Planet with a map requires cell service.. Just saying..

Here in Oregon, pretty much all areas including the totality zone throughout the state, are reporting much smaller crowds than forecasted.

New Topics

Forum List

Back