This abandoned East African city once controlled the medieval gold trade

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Spectacular ruins cluster on the island of Kilwa Kisiwani, more than a mile from the coast of modern-day Tanzania. The remnants of a palace and a great mosque, built partly of coral stone, are reminders of the time when the gold trade of east Africa flowed through this tiny island.
During its medieval heyday, Kilwa was the principal port in a string of coastal trading cities that formed along what became known as the Swahili Coast. Swahili is derived from an Arabic word meaning “coastal dweller” and became the name for the regional language.
That's an interesting bit of history.

Spectacular ruins cluster on the island of Kilwa Kisiwani, more than a mile from the coast of modern-day Tanzania. The remnants of a palace and a great mosque, built partly of coral stone, are reminders of the time when the gold trade of east Africa flowed through this tiny island.
During its medieval heyday, Kilwa was the principal port in a string of coastal trading cities that formed along what became known as the Swahili Coast. Swahili is derived from an Arabic word meaning “coastal dweller” and became the name for the regional language.
Can't read it. It gets greyed out and demands I subscribe. Why would I subscribe? From the little I see, its an Arab or Iranian outpost deep in barbaric Africa. Who cares

Can't read it. It gets greyed out and demands I subscribe. Why would I subscribe? From the little I see, its an Arab or Iranian outpost deep in barbaric Africa. Who cares
That's weird. It's National Geographic. I can see it for free. Unless they have a limited amount of articles you can read and you have read them.

I get the fact that you wouldn't care but this it is in the section on Africa.......

Just saying.

That's weird. It's National Geographic. I can see it for free. Unless they have a limited amount of articles you can read and you have read them.

I get the fact that you wouldn't care but this it is in the section on Africa.......

Just saying.
We all know Arabs ruled that part of the world at that time. They are of no importance to the world

Here's how it looks after 2 seconds

Screenshot-20200905-205752-Chrome.jpg

Forum List

Back