thinking about buying a Suburu station wagon

pismoe

Platinum Member
May 17, 2014
guess they are either the Forester or Outback and then there is a smaller station wagon . Anyone have any advice on Suburu . I want the station wagon , small SUV style. I've had Hondas and Toyotas these last 10 years and currently drive a Honda Fit and have an 89 longbed Nissan pickup that I drive sparingly . Guess that I'm wide open to any suggestion or advice on brand . Have only been looking on the internet and the Nissan Rogue looks pretty nice for maybe 23 thousand . Yep , any advice , info would be appreciated !! The Suburus look good but I have no experience at all with them . Cheaper with quality is best and any advice on any brand is what I'd like . Thank You !!

guess they are either the Forester or Outback and then there is a smaller station wagon . Anyone have any advice on Suburu . I want the station wagon , small SUV style. I've had Hondas and Toyotas these last 10 years and currently drive a Honda Fit and have an 89 longbed Nissan pickup that I drive sparingly . Guess that I'm wide open to any suggestion or advice on brand . Have only been looking on the internet and the Nissan Rogue looks pretty nice for maybe 23 thousand . Yep , any advice , info would be appreciated !! The Suburus look good but I have no experience at all with them . Cheaper with quality is best and any advice on any brand is what I'd like . Thank You !!
pismoe , I've had Toyota Siennas for years but I am going car shopping in a couple months and I've got my sights set on a Suburu Forrester. It has plenty of cargo space, a quiet comfortable ride, top rated safety features and excellent gas mileage. I have a buddy who won't buy any other brand and I have ridden with him on cross country trips for about 10 years.

well I like the Suburus 'Hossfly' , I want a stripper if that can be had . Only exception is some mudflaps and the paint protection and aftermarket alloy wheels . I think that all 3 models can be had for under 25 thousand for as close as you can get to a stripped version . Out here there are lots of Suburus running around as 4 wheelers and that's the direction I would go . Also thinking used . Course that Nissan Rogue goes a bit cheaper and I've had excellent service with my 89 Nissan longbed pickup , auto , v6 . The new car would replace the 2011 Honda Fit . Thanks for your reply Hossfly !!

I just want to get rid of it . Might change my mind , nothing wrong with it except that stupid 'tpms' . Gets about 26 in town and 33 on the highway and I'm just looking for a new hobby , light 4 wheeling a Suburu or similar when we go camping .

Subaru builds some damn fine cars, but the honest truth is you can say that about any major brand out there today. I am in love with the WRX Sti, but refused to pay that much for so little vehicle so went with a Focus ST instead.

I know several people who own Subarus with no more bad things to say them then any other brand.

Last edited:
I live in the snow country of New England and many people swear by Subaru and say the engines are bullet proof.

The new Crosstrek model seems to be quite popular. .... :cool:

thanks Gents , yeah , I'm thinking the Crosstrek might be the way to go but I also like the cheapest of the other 2 . I see prices of about 23 for a Crosstrek with few amenities . Course I also like the others but the others seem to be bigger . Oh well , have to hit the showrooms one of these days .

You absolutely cannot go wrong with a Subaru.

If you are thinking about a Crosstrek look closely at the interior dimensions; you may be disappointed. My son bought one thinking it would be a good stuff-hauler, but the cargo area is not really big enough to carry anything of any size. Just keep that in mind.

I personally like the look of the Outback better than a Forester, but that's personal taste.

Forester Touring Model: American Abacus

You know, Subaru featured the very beautiful Bar Rafaeli as its advertisement supermodel spokeswoman. They've quietly become a great automobile market contender.

The 2015 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring comes with great accessories and boasts good mileage. The design and interior are nice too.

The Forester helps Subaru compete with the station-wagon designs offered by the likes of Volkswagen.

I'd go with a Subaru or a Volkswagen rather than a Toyota, simply because recent resale values and ratings make their models a better buy for Americans.

:afro:

yeah Gents , good morning and thanks for the info !! I like the Subaru but probably the lower cost edition Forester or Outback . Volkswagens are also nice but I hear that they are also maintenance intensive and expensive to fix or repair !!

If it means anything to the OP, Subaru is consistently ranked one of the best cars by Consumer Reports.

Don't worry about repair costs. Unlike BMW, it won't need any. It can cost a million bucks to repair but if it never breaks, then its irrelevant.

i have driven subbies since 1986....only car i will have....i like the outback....longer and lower ...hubby loves his forrester....the first one was the only new one....i buy older models and let others take the depreciation hit...as for the repairs....you gonna ride you gonna pay

i have driven subbies since 1986....only car i will have....i like the outback....longer and lower ...hubby loves his forrester....the first one was the only new one....i buy older models and let others take the depreciation hit...as for the repairs....you gonna ride you gonna pay
I got my new Forrester on May 21st. All the bells and whistles and I couldn't be more satisfied.

We have a guy that works for us and he absolutely loves his. And CR rated it a best buy. Said its handling and quiet ride far outperform the Mercedes GLA series.

A flashing red light in my mind tells me to stay out of this thread. I leased a Subaru during the early 2000's. I hated the damned thing. Short of leg room on drivers side. i am 5'10" tall and at the time about 250 lbs in my 60's. On a windy day on the Interstate, it was hell on wandering with the wind. Subaru swore to be damned, 4 wheel alignment was out of specs, from the factory. That did not cure the problem. The car is simply a wind sail. Engine is smooth but lacks acceleration and passing authority when driving at Internet speeds. Braking was fine as was snow ability. Long trips were tiring as it not a travel vehicle. That was the only Japanese automobile I will ever own, period. Owned a Nissan pick up. Same room complaint, underpowered and tinny. Sorry I could not go along with the other folks. Oh, the Subaru, is not a high altitude vehicle in that it heats up to the point that coolant flows back into the recovery tank and stinks like, well, hot anti freeze, which the heater blower fan is ready to pick up and blow on your face. The smell, not the coolant. The coolant is all over the engine compartment and under carriage. This was a new Subaru with under ten miles on the odometer.

A flashing red light in my mind tells me to stay out of this thread. I leased a Subaru during the early 2000's. I hated the damned thing. Short of leg room on drivers side. i am 5'10" tall and at the time about 250 lbs in my 60's. On a windy day on the Interstate, it was hell on wandering with the wind. Subaru swore to be damned, 4 wheel alignment was out of specs, from the factory. That did not cure the problem. The car is simply a wind sail. Engine is smooth but lacks acceleration and passing authority when driving at Internet speeds. Braking was fine as was snow ability. Long trips were tiring as it not a travel vehicle. That was the only Japanese automobile I will ever own, period. Owned a Nissan pick up. Same room complaint, underpowered and tinny. Sorry I could not go along with the other folks. Oh, the Subaru, is not a high altitude vehicle in that it heats up to the point that coolant flows back into the recovery tank and stinks like, well, hot anti freeze, which the heater blower fan is ready to pick up and blow on your face. The smell, not the coolant. The coolant is all over the engine compartment and under carriage. This was a new Subaru with under ten miles on the odometer.
I bought a Subaru Forrester 6 weeks ago and I couldn't be more pleased.

Forum List

Back