Things we all can agree on

ShawnChris13

Nov 12, 2013
Here's a list of things that I believe we all can agree on. I think these few things at least should be the main focus we take to others in order to try to make meaningful changes in our government.

1. $174,000 is too much compensation for congressmen. A more reasonable amount of compensation should be awarded for their efforts. I propose $60,000.

2. Holding the public trust should be treated as the honor that it used to be. Politicians are being caught with cocaine, committing perjury, and various other offenses against the public trust. Politicians must be prosecuted equally under the law, as the rest of us are.

3. Commercial contributions to campaigns must come to an end. Television ads, flyers, and other forms of advertising before elections and during campaigns must be paid for by private donations or a modest stipend of government funds.

4. Open ballots. The requirements that have been set by the Republicans and Democrats to appear on a ballot are rigged so that only those two parties can afford to be placed on a ballot. The requirements must be brought down so that legitimate third parties can receive more exposure to the general public and make elections fair.

YOU can agree on those things. Don't count on anyone else agreeing.

SLAM!! -- Closed goes to the ultra-conservative mind.

She doesn't even bother to elaborate -- just SLAM!!

I think it's the notion of agreeing that is most offensive to her.

1. $174,000 is too much compensation for congressmen. A more reasonable amount of compensation should be awarded for their efforts. I propose $60,000. I can see that. at 174K they are still taking bribes, so at least we can save some cash

2. Holding the public trust should be treated as the honor that it used to be. Politicians are being caught with cocaine, committing perjury, and various other offenses against the public trust. Politicians must be prosecuted equally under the law, as the rest of us are. said that years ago. The lawmakers should have to follow the laws

3. Commercial contributions to campaigns must come to an end. Television ads, flyers, and other forms of advertising before elections and during campaigns must be paid for by private donations or a modest stipend of government funds. I can see this working, as long as unions are excluded as well. They aren't people either.

4. Open ballots. The requirements that have been set by the Republicans and Democrats to appear on a ballot are rigged so that only those two parties can afford to be placed on a ballot. The requirements must be brought down so that legitimate third parties can receive more exposure to the general public and make elections fair. pfft, yea.

Here's a list of things that I believe we all can agree on. I think these few things at least should be the main focus we take to others in order to try to make meaningful changes in our government.

1. $174,000 is too much compensation for congressmen. A more reasonable amount of compensation should be awarded for their efforts. I propose $60,000.

2. Holding the public trust should be treated as the honor that it used to be. Politicians are being caught with cocaine, committing perjury, and various other offenses against the public trust. Politicians must be prosecuted equally under the law, as the rest of us are.

3. Commercial contributions to campaigns must come to an end. Television ads, flyers, and other forms of advertising before elections and during campaigns must be paid for by private donations or a modest stipend of government funds.

4. Open ballots. The requirements that have been set by the Republicans and Democrats to appear on a ballot are rigged so that only those two parties can afford to be placed on a ballot. The requirements must be brought down so that legitimate third parties can receive more exposure to the general public and make elections fair.

Lets add term limits as well.

No one was ever supposed to earn a living at politics. They were supposed to serve and then go back to the job they held before they were elected.

Now they stay as long as they can. They vote perks for themselves and we taxpayers are stuck supporting them for the rest of their lives.

No, we can't all age on those assertions. Number
2 is the only overtly reasonable one and 4 needs to be expounded on before I can agree. The others are terrible ideas in general. Congress certainly does not need to be paid less. trying to limit political money is posing into the wind as long as you don't deal with the actual underlying problem, billions of dollars in special political favors through government giveaways and special tax consideration. Open ballots need to be expanded upon as just staying anyone should symbol be able to get on the ballot is not reasonable. You would end up with a hundred candidates.

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

So politicians should make $174,000 a year for the rest of their life? How is that justifiable? They pass laws that infringe on our rights and are rewarded with a base salary far above the average salary of any citizen? A ruling class is acceptable?

I can agree on those

Wondering if others agree on these

1)halt all these idiotic "free" trade deals for a couple of years at least

2) change the way we appoint federal judges, make it more like it was in Articles of Confederation with a random element at the end

3) increase the number of US representatives to a number closer to the one per 30,000 invisioned by the framers, there is a proposal for the California legislature that may be a model.......

1) eliminate tax-exemption of tax-exempt municipal bonds

1) no compensation for public office. you do it because you want to protect and uphold the constitution or you go home and STFU.
1.A) Insider trading - not in my world. They wouldn't even be able to legislate economically in any fashion. So they wouldn't have the information to use for insider purposes.
2) Agreed. But when you overpay a turd, they tend to show you their true colors. Most of these politicians are sociopaths that belong in a nut house, not the houses of congress.
3)I disagree. As long as a rep can not affect legislation favorable to a donor, then the donations are fine. it's when its done so that donors expect something in return where problems arise.
4) This is an issue of voters not being well informed. This problem falls squarely on gullible voters.

1)halt all these idiotic "free" trade deals for a couple of years at least

2) change the way we appoint federal judges, make it more like it was in Articles of Confederation with a random element at the end

3) increase the number of US representatives to a number closer to the one per 30,000 invisioned by the framers, there is a proposal for the California legislature that may be a model.......

1) eliminate tax-exemption of tax-exempt municipal bonds

I can agree to your first and last.

well thanks, I can see people steering away from the more structural changes in 2) and 3) cause they may seem more radical, but the historical references I give show they are not. I think they would make for a fairer society

let me ad a 5th suggestion

5) a National Initiative option such as Switzerland has......takes power away from corrupt politicians on issues the people find important.

The people find football and Snooki important. An initiative like that wouldn't work here. Unless the initiative were to raise food stamps.

I could see number 3 as a workable idea.

You would be correct.

The question is whether these have a realistic chance of happening in the near future.

agree, but I would add #5. Unions and union members are forbidden under the criminal penalty to contribute to ANY candidate or political campaign.

Forum List

Back