They Were Wrong Then, And They're Wrong Now

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
History has a way of repeating itself. Will we let it happen again?

American Leftists Were Pol Pot's Cheerleaders
By Jeff Jacoby, Boston Globe

The death of Pol Pot, 23 years to the day after he and the Khmer Rouge seized control of Cambodia, occasioned long backward glances at one of the 20th century's most horrific genocides. It was noted everywhere that the communist reign of terror in Cambodia lasted nearly four years and that at least 1 million human beings -- by some estimates as many as 2 1/2 million -- were murdered in an orgy of executions, torture, and starvation.

"In the name of a radical utopia,'' The New York Times recalled in its long obituary, "the Khmer Rouge regime had turned most of the people into slaves. . . . Dictatorial village leaders and soldiers told the people whom to marry and how to live, and those who disobeyed were killed. [Those] who did not bend to the political mania were buried alive, or tossed into the air and speared on bayonets. Some were fed to crocodiles.'' Nearby was a photograph of human skulls -- emblem of the dreadful "killing fields'' in which the communists butchered a quarter of Cambodia's people.

But nowhere in the Times story was there a reminder that the Khmer Rouge was able to seize power only after the US Congress in 1975 cut off all aid to the embattled pro-American government of Lon Nol -- and that it did so despite frantic warnings of the bloodbath that would ensue. President Ford warned of "horror and tragedy'' if Cambodia was abandoned to the Khmer Rouge and pleaded with Congress to supply Lon Nol's army with the tools it needed to defend itself.

for full article:
http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ed...american_leftists_were_pol_pots_cheerleaders/

Oh really?

"The resolution picked up steam Wednesday after more than a half a DOZEN House Republicans said they would vote for it.

Rep. Ric Keller, R-Florida, said he approached his decision "with a great deal of angst and humility," but ultimately could not stand behind the president's plan.

"I have listened to what our most well-respected four-star generals have to say about this matter," he said. And many "said that sending more troops into Baghdad is not the answer."

Half DOZEN true republicans, voting on the democratic resolution in congress. Its not just the Dems GLOCK, its everyone, who disagrees with the funding of this "surge".

cnn.com

Oh really?

"The resolution picked up steam Wednesday after more than a half a DOZEN House Republicans said they would vote for it.

Rep. Ric Keller, R-Florida, said he approached his decision "with a great deal of angst and humility," but ultimately could not stand behind the president's plan.

"I have listened to what our most well-respected four-star generals have to say about this matter," he said. And many "said that sending more troops into Baghdad is not the answer."

Half DOZEN true republicans, voting on the democratic resolution in congress. Its not just the Dems GLOCK, its everyone, who disagrees with the funding of this "surge".

cnn.com

Its meaningless, non-binding. And it hurts troop morale. Typical liberal pap.

Its meaningless, non-binding. And it hurts troop morale. Typical liberal pap.

blah blah blah..."hurts troop morale" blah blah blah....

so what? are we to stop the solemn duty of debating the wisdom of our foreign policy for fear of bruising the ego of our fighting men? Are we to continue - like the charge of the light brigade - deeper and deeper into a no-win situation that is counterproductive to our national security because we don't want to upset those boys acting as the tip of the spear? It is specifically because we have young men and women in harm's way that the debate is that much more important.

In all my years in the navy, there were plenty of times when the politicians and the public debated the mission of the military.... that had little or no effect on my morale. I did what they national command authority told me to do until they told me to stop doing that and do something else.

I have become convinced that Liberals have sided with the enemy of these great United States.

why should I give a shit what you have become convinced of? especially when it is so far from the truth as far as I am concerned?

I have become convinced that the boneheaded bunch of morons running this country right now are leading us over the precipice and straight into HELL.

Do you care about THAT opinion?

That sounds perfectly reasonable to me. :rolleyes:

and if you ask me, the doorway that leads to that precipice, which leads to HELL, is in Iraq.

thanks a lot for waving pompoms for such an inept, incompetent moron as George Dubya Bush.

blah blah blah..."hurts troop morale" blah blah blah....

so what? are we to stop the solemn duty of debating the wisdom of our foreign policy for fear of bruising the ego of our fighting men? Are we to continue - like the charge of the light brigade - deeper and deeper into a no-win situation that is counterproductive to our national security because we don't want to upset those boys acting as the tip of the spear? It is specifically because we have young men and women in harm's way that the debate is that much more important.

In all my years in the navy, there were plenty of times when the politicians and the public debated the mission of the military.... that had little or no effect on my morale. I did what they national command authority told me to do until they told me to stop doing that and do something else.

So what??? I don't know about you, but Id prefer not to support policies which can undermine and kill those serving us in combat situations simply because a few idiots in this nation dont like the mission they are on.

Quite honestly, I am getting sick and tired of listening to liberals claim to care about the lives of people when their policies put them more in danger.

why should I give a shit what you have become convinced of? especially when it is so far from the truth as far as I am concerned?

I have become convinced that the boneheaded bunch of morons running this country right now are leading us over the precipice and straight into HELL.

Do you care about THAT opinion?

Tell me, if you wanted to take the sides of our enemies, how would your actions be any different then they are now?

How many times does history need to repeat itself until you people see the danger we are trying to prevent?

and if you ask me, the doorway that leads to that precipice, which leads to HELL, is in Iraq.

thanks a lot for waving pompoms for such an inept, incompetent moron as George Dubya Bush.

Why is it those who think the President is an incompetant moron have no plan of their own? Youd think if you are so much superior to "an inept, incompetent moron" that you guys could come up with something!

Why is it those who think the President is an incompetant moron have no plan of their own? Youd think if you are so much superior to "an inept, incompetent moron" that you guys could come up with something!

why is it that the republicans continue to say that democrats do not have a plan when there have been several alternatives proposed by democrats?

Is it just tough to understand what we are saying when you have your eyes closed, your fingers in your ears and you're yelling "NANANANANANANANANANA" at the top of your lungs? I understand your difficulties.

Tell me, if you wanted to take the sides of our enemies, how would your actions be any different then they are now?

How many times does history need to repeat itself until you people see the danger we are trying to prevent?

If I wanted to take the side of the enemy, I would go to Iraq and kill Americans.... but, of course, I do NOT want to take the side of the enemy...I want to take the side of America and I want very much for us to stop wasting money and blood in Iraq and start actually fighting the war against the islamic extremists who attacked us.....

do me a big favor and do not insult my patriotism again....and I will refrain from insulting you.

why is it that the republicans continue to say that democrats do not have a plan when there have been several alternatives proposed by democrats?

Is it just tough to understand what we are saying when you have your eyes closed, your fingers in your ears and you're yelling "NANANANANANANANANANA" at the top of your lungs? I understand your difficulties.

Name one. We arent the ones repeating the same arguments over and over again without support. You guys have a plan show it.

If I wanted to take the side of the enemy, I would go to Iraq and kill Americans.... but, of course, I do NOT want to take the side of the enemy...I want to take the side of America and I want very much for us to stop wasting money and blood in Iraq and start actually fighting the war against the islamic extremists who attacked us.....

do me a big favor and do not insult my patriotism again....and I will refrain from insulting you.

Considering the policies you support the killing of Americans.

As for your second request. I call them how i see them. You see im a big proponent of free speech. Im not going to pretend you are supporting our nation when you advocate positions that end up getting our troops killing in battle encourage the destruction of this nation. Stop doing that and ill stop questioning your patriotism.

5 point plan proposed by sen. joe biden and leslie gelb.

The plan would maintain a unified Iraq by decentralizing it and giving Kurds, Shiites and Sunnis breathing room in their own regions - as provided for in the Iraqi constitution. The central government would be responsible for common interests, like border security and the distribution of oil revenues. We would secure support from the Sunnis - who have no oil -- by guaranteeing them a proportionate share (about 20 percent) of oil revenues. We would increase economic aid, ask the oil-rich Arab Gulf states to fund it and tie all assistance to the protection of minority rights and the creation of a jobs program. We would convene a regional conference to enlist the support of Iraq's neighbors and create a Contact Group of the major powers to enforce their commitments. And we would ask our military to draw up plans to responsibly withdraw most U.S. forces from Iraq by the end of 2007 - enough time for the political settlement to take hold.

theres a way better plan than the "hold off defeat until someone else takes over" plan that bush proposes

5 point plan proposed by sen. joe biden and leslie gelb.

The plan would maintain a unified Iraq by decentralizing it and giving Kurds, Shiites and Sunnis breathing room in their own regions - as provided for in the Iraqi constitution. The central government would be responsible for common interests, like border security and the distribution of oil revenues. We would secure support from the Sunnis - who have no oil -- by guaranteeing them a proportionate share (about 20 percent) of oil revenues. We would increase economic aid, ask the oil-rich Arab Gulf states to fund it and tie all assistance to the protection of minority rights and the creation of a jobs program. We would convene a regional conference to enlist the support of Iraq's neighbors and create a Contact Group of the major powers to enforce their commitments. And we would ask our military to draw up plans to responsibly withdraw most U.S. forces from Iraq by the end of 2007 - enough time for the political settlement to take hold.

Sounds reasonable except for the time line.

Considering the policies you support the killing of Americans.

As for your second request. I call them how i see them. You see im a big proponent of free speech. Im not going to pretend you are supporting our nation when you advocate positions that end up getting our troops killing in battle encourage the destruction of this nation. Stop doing that and ill stop questioning your patriotism.

I am advocating positions that end up getting our troops killed? what fucking planet do YOU live on? I was against sending our troops to Iraq from day ONE. YOUR positions of supporting this stupid counterproductive war, this stupid inept incompetent president...this assinine surge.... THOSE positions are the EXACT positions that are the PRIMARY reason our troops are being killed. NOTHING I have ever advocated has a thing to do with getting our troops killed in THIS stupid battle.

You obviously look at life through a fun house mirror.

New Topics

Forum List

Back