They Have Matured

JakeWIlls92

Gold Member
Apr 6, 2014
Video games have matured. One of my favorite games is KOTOR. On the first part of the game you are on a city planet called Taris. Taris is a civilization that is socioeconomically divided. The rich are on the upper levels of the planet while the lower levels are poverty stricken and dominated by gangs. The elite on the pristine upper levels are indifferent to the suffering of people who live in the lower levels of Taris. Criminals are banished to the undercity that is crawling with mutants. The children of these criminals are even forbidden from entering the upper levels of Taris. Why blame descendants on the actions of their ancestors? There is racism in Taris. I have encountered an anti alien extremist who calls people alien lovers. I had my character stop kids from terrorizing an Ithorian. Can't we all admit video games are no longer for children?

10070d1312517714-taris-star-wars-knights-old-republic-wallpaper-taris-wallpaper-taris.jpg

Gorton Colu - Wookieepedia the Star Wars Wiki

Shoot, when the Nintendo system came out I was 23 and bought the first release..I am 53 now and have a Wii/Wiiu, 3DSXL and play games on PC.Plan on getting the 3DSXLL when released in November.. The graphic generation is a hell of a lot better than Pong in the 1970's or Asteroids when I owned an Atari 2600 in the early 1980's

My poor old board games are falling apart...

No one cares about you.
Ha ha. I'm just teasing. Why do you think I have posted so little in my two years here.

When ever I tire of all the stupidity and partisan bickering, I think to myself, shit, I could be playing a video game. Why am I wasting my time on here? Most days, the problem is just choosing one. Back in the 80's we just didn't have that problem.

The Dark Side is better!
I enjoyed the arcade version of Star Whores..Better than the game console version..
The Pizza Place across the street has a 60 in 1 jamma board installed in an old Centipede Cabinet. Unfortunately it doesn't have Star Wars on it. My buddy tells me it is because Star Whores is a Vector Graphics type game like Asteroids and Battlezone. None the less, I take my son down there a challenge him to games. It's one the few times I can beat him at video games. I think Gyruss is our favorite.

Kids today are used to having limited number of plays and no "continues." Us old timers know how to play when the pressure is on. :cool:

I turned to the Dark Side, got revenge on Malak, and became Dark Lord of the Sith, with Bastila as my apprentice...

But to this day...

The worst feeling I have ever felt in a videogame was when Mission refused to go Dark Side with us... I used a Jedi Mind trick on her best friend Zaalbar, forcing him to murder her... he cried out an apology as he slaughtered his best friend, against his Will...

Her corpse was just there, lying on that beautiful beach, motionless.

Mission could have ran away, like Carth, but she had the courage to remain because she thought she could save me. She trusted me, and believed there was still Good in me somewhere. She didn't believe that I had become Evil enough to take her Life. She thought she could redeem me, and help me return to the Light, and stay True to the Jedi...

Zaalbar was traumatized by what I forced him to do, but remained in service to me because of his life debt. Canderous knew his place and just respected me even more when my true identity was revealed, and earned the great honor of joining Bastila and I during our final attack aboard the Star Forge.

But Mission, Jolee, Juhani...

They all begged me to return to the Light, and to reconsider my decision to usurp the mantle of Dark Lord from Malak.

They all thought there was still hope for my redemption. They all trusted me, especially Mission... and I fucking killed them.

They were all too strong in the Light to join me, too loyal to what was right, and just, and Good.

I felt like I'd slaughtered my family.

The Dark Side, Bastila, becoming Dark Lord of the Sith... it was all worth it, but the consequences of my actions have scarred me for life.

Darth Ashtara
KOTOR O.O.O.G.

Unknown_world.jpg

Last edited:
Video games have matured. One of my favorite games is KOTOR. On the first part of the game you are on a city planet called Taris. Taris is a civilization that is socioeconomically divided. The rich are on the upper levels of the planet while the lower levels are poverty stricken and dominated by gangs. The elite on the pristine upper levels are indifferent to the suffering of people who live in the lower levels of Taris. Criminals are banished to the undercity that is crawling with mutants. The children of these criminals are even forbidden from entering the upper levels of Taris. Why blame descendants on the actions of their ancestors? There is racism in Taris. I have encountered an anti alien extremist who calls people alien lovers. I had my character stop kids from terrorizing an Ithorian. Can't we all admit video games are no longer for children?

10070d1312517714-taris-star-wars-knights-old-republic-wallpaper-taris-wallpaper-taris.jpg

Gorton Colu - Wookieepedia the Star Wars Wiki

Great line from "Wreck-It Ralph" that had me cracking up for minutes, "When did videogames become so violent and scary?!" :)

The Dark Side is better!
I enjoyed the arcade version of Star Whores..Better than the game console version..
The Pizza Place across the street has a 60 in 1 jamma board installed in an old Centipede Cabinet. Unfortunately it doesn't have Star Wars on it. My buddy tells me it is because Star Whores is a Vector Graphics type game like Asteroids and Battlezone. None the less, I take my son down there a challenge him to games. It's one the few times I can beat him at video games. I think Gyruss is our favorite.

Kids today are used to having limited number of plays and no "continues." Us old timers know how to play when the pressure is on. :cool:

You wanna claim "old school" status bub?

I lay down the gauntlet then.

Alien Isolation is being released tomorrow at midnight. It is a direct sequel to Ridley Scotts 1979 hit Alien.

No auto saves.
No weapons (of consequence?)
An Alien THAT CAN'T BE KILLED
Survival Horror at its best

Play on HARD and report back here so I may indulge in your salty tears

"Video games have matured."

No they haven't but I wonder if in 40-50 years time, nursing homes will come equipped with by then vintage games consoles to engage dementia patients.

Grow up.

Forum List

Back