They gave voters the actual buget and guess what they opted to do?

• Banned
U.S. Budget: The Public's Priorities
U.S. Public Would Significantly Alter Bush Administration’s Budget

Full Report
Questionnaire

March 07, 2005
A new poll finds that the American public would significantly alter the Bush administration’s recently proposed federal budget. Presented a breakdown of the major areas of the proposed discretionary budget and given the opportunity to redistribute it, respondents made major changes.

The most dramatic changes were deep cuts in defense spending, a significant reallocation toward deficit reduction, and increases in spending on education, job training, reducing reliance on oil, and veterans. These changes were favored by both Republicans and Democrats, though the changes were generally greater for Democrats.

Sixty-one percent of respondents redirected some funds to reducing the budget deficit, with the mean respondent reallocating $36 billion (Democrats $39.4 billion, Republicans $29.6 billion), though they were not told anything about the size of the deficit.

Defense spending received the deepest cut, being cut on average 31percent—equivalent to $133.8 billion—with 65 percent of respondents cutting. The second largest area to be cut was the supplemental for Iraq and Afghanistan, which suffered an average cut of $29.6 billion or 35 percent, with two out of three respondents cutting. Also cut were transportation (cut $12.6 billion or 18 percent), federal administration of justice ($8.7 billion or 21 percent), and space research and science ($1.2 billion or 5 percent). Majorities of 53-58 percent of respondents favored cuts in each of these cases.

The largest increases were for social spending. Spending on human capital was especially popular including education which was increased $26.8 billion (39%) and job training and employment which was up $19 billion or a remarkable 263%. Medical research was upped on average $15.5 billion (53%). Veterans benefits were raised 40 percent or $12.5 billion and housing went up 31 percent or $9.3 billion. In most cases clear majorities favored increases (education 57%, job training 67%, medical research 57%, veteran’s benefits 63%), though only 43 percent of respondents favored increases for housing.

In percentage terms, by far the largest increase was for conserving and developing renewable energy - an extraordinary 1090 percent or $24 billion—which also had the highest percentage of respondents (70%) favoring an increase. The environment and natural resources received a more modest increase of 32% or $9 billion, with 42 percent of respondents favoring increases.

• Banned
clear majorities favored increases education 57%, job training 67%, medical research 57%, veteran’s benefits 63%

when people look at the issues with R and D labels on them and truely show their priorities they act very Dem.

all parties included

• Banned
If anything the American public is More likely to lean Dem now than in 05 by the way.

Think about the public mood in 05 was like and contrast it to now

• Banned
Its a link to the study ,in the study is these findings.
the study is a pdf file and the finding part only is cut and pastable.

Now if you are willing to truely examine it you will find that all I say is completely true.

Now I will go get you a link to just the findings page I copied and pasted.

The methodology sounds weird, but I'll check more when home:

http://www.knowledgenetworks.com/ganp/
Online survey capabilities. Representative, probability-based sampling. That combination is what brings researchers throughout the government sector and the academic community to Knowledge Networks. Our ability to harness new technology without compromising methodology makes KnowledgePanelSM the only online survey source that meets the standard of federal and peer review.

Our surveys utilize the web-enabled KnowledgePanelSM, a probability-based Panel designed to be representative of the U.S. population. Initially, participants are chosen scientifically by a random selection of telephone numbers. Persons in selected households are then invited by telephone to participate in the web-enabled Panel. Those who agree to participate, who are not already on the Internet, are sent an Internet appliance and receive an Internet service connection provided by Knowledge Networks. People who already have computers and Internet service are permitted to participate using their own equipment. Panelists then receive unique log-in information for accessing surveys online, and then are sent emails three to four times a month inviting them to participate in research.

Both the KN staff and investigators who use KnowledgePanelSM actively research this panel method itself and answer important social and public policy questions with their publications. For examples and references to such work, please review our Project Descriptions and the regularly-updated KN Bibliography.

Our customers – who include researchers from government, academia, and the non-profit community – share a common need: they have important questions to answer, and they need to have their work withstand scrutiny. The staff at Knowledge Networks stands ready to meet those needs. We bring a wealth of experience in all phases of research: survey design, data collection, analysis, and execution of innovative projects such as custom panels, instant polls, media testing, and online discussions.

Do they have access to people with no phones? Unlisted numbers? That only use cell phones?

Since a computer is required do they provide one to EVERYONE that doesn't have one? or do they simply drop those "random" samples that are not in a place to reach a computer?

What do they do with the portion of the "random" sample that want to participate BUT won't accept "programs" from the research/poll group?

I notice also there is no actual information on how they achieve this "random" nationwide sample. Other than you are required to have a phone number they can access to even be considered.

Do they ask their sample what their voting habits are? What party they belong to? If they are even registered to vote? Do they ask nationality, ethnicity questions? Is the "sample" broken down in any manner other than "those that have phones with numbers we can find"?

The poll was conducted Feb. 18-25, 2005, with a nationwide sample of 1,182 American adults. The margin of error was 2.9-4.1%, depending on whether the question went to the full sample or part of the sample. The poll was fielded by Knowledge Networks using its nationwide panel, which is randomly selected from the entire adult population and subsequently provided Internet access. For more information about this methodology, go to www.knowledgenetworks.com/ganp.

The poll was conducted Feb. 18-25, 2005, with a nationwide sample of 1,182 American adults. The margin of error was 2.9-4.1%, depending on whether the question went to the full sample or part of the sample. The poll was fielded by Knowledge Networks using its nationwide panel, which is randomly selected from the entire adult population and subsequently provided Internet access. For more information about this methodology, go to www.knowledgenetworks.com/ganp.

Right, which is where I found the methodology, which is why I already posted that.

this is a completely trustable entity.

They are well respected and asociated with the University of Maryland.

I know you will not accept these facts.

You never do seem to accept ay facts you dont like.

Once again the posted methodology appears to ONLY concern first people with listed phone numbers and second with either computers or access to public computers on the net. It requires people to HAVE access to the Internet.

That alone limits the so called nationwide poll. Further it does not tell us if they do any research on personal information for codifying how "random" the sample really is.

this is a completely trustable entity.

They are well respected and asociated with the University of Maryland.

I know you will not accept these facts.

You never do seem to accept ay facts you dont like.

Quite untrue, ask MM. While quite difficult, I haven't a problem admitting when I find I was wrong. In this case, I doubt it. I've helped write, conduct, and analyze polls when in college for sociology degree. Between the graduate level stats that degree and political science degree required, my ability to recognize generalized validity is quite high.

You however just see those results and go orgasmic. Enjoy.

Forum List

Back