"These Are The Lies You Were Taught About Electricity"

Grumblenuts

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2017
Or so says Veritasium in this YouTube video:

Though I seldom completely agree with him, this instance being no exception, I can't help loving his style and I commend him for at least lamely attacking how this area of physics is so poorly taught or glossed over as the case may be. Just to reiterate, he's claiming that electrical energy does not flow through wires. Whether AC or DC, the work gets accomplished all around the wires and in between, entirely through field interactions, and not through any movement of particulate "electrons."

Comments?

Though I seldom completely agree with him, this instance being no exception, I can't help loving his style and I commend him for at least lamely attacking how this area of physics is so poorly taught or glossed over as the case may be. Just to reiterate, he's claiming that electrical energy does not flow through wires. Whether AC or DC, the work gets accomplished all around the wires and in between, entirely through field interactions, and not through any movement of particulate "electrons."

Comments?

AC flows through wire. DC flows on the outside of wire.

Comments?

Too long winded

He could rap up the entire video in half a minute

But he drags it out much longer because he’s a stage hog who loves the sound of his own voice

I was told that electricity is fun. They lied.

1638031048899.png

Comments?

This is a problem with the duality of electrons as both a particle and a wave. The Poynting vector works for waves, but not for particles, hence explains light propagation, but not electrical propagation, which deals with electrons as particles, since wires have resistance, and free space doesn't.

AC flows through wire. DC flows on the outside of wire.
You have it backwards. You're thinking of the skin effect.

skin effect, in electricity, the tendency of alternating high-frequency currents to crowd toward the surface of a conducting material. This phenomenon restricts the current to a small part of the total cross-sectional area and so has the effect of increasing the resistance of the conductor.

skin-effect.jpg

skin effect, in electricity, the tendency of alternating high-frequency currents to crowd toward the surface of a conducting material. This phenomenon restricts the current to a small part of the total cross-sectional area and so has the effect of increasing the resistance of the conductor.

skin-effect.jpg

skin-effect.jpg
Say, for simplicity and the sake of argument here, we accept that current is analogous to electrical energy transfer or "flow." Now that we're on topic, why is it not possible for the same sort of "crowding" effect depicted to occur outside of the wires or so-called "conductors"? Why do we use wave guides?

Last edited:
When he made the point of there being no physical connection from the generating source to your house, I knew he was just peddling his utube account.

This is a wave. The movement of electrons is another Newtonian fake, the current moves at the speed of light.

Forum List

Back