There was an election last night, in FL-13

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
601px-Map_of_Florida_highlighting_Pinellas_County.svg.png

It was a primary among Republicans to take on Alex Sink (D) in the main election in March.

Here the AP link:

News from The Associated Press

Jolly David (R) won easily, with 45%, over two other competitors.

Since Alex Sink was the only Democratic candidate to declare, no primary was held on the Democratic side. Pretty standard fare.

The election is to fill the seat held by Bill Young (R), a longstanding member of the House of Representatives, who passed away in October of 2013. The election in March is to fill this seat until the general election in November, 2014. So, whoever gets the job will have a short first term, or a short tem, depending.

Here is the district:

Florida's 13th congressional district - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's really not that competitive of a district. Republicans have held the seat here since 1983. But while this district went for John McCain by 5 points in 2008, it went for President Obama by 1 point in 2012. It is one of the few CDs to actually swing toward the Democrats in 2012. That still doesn't say much, for there is no real direct correlation between presidential and congressional politics at the district level. Nonetheless, it is interesting information. Pinellas County is a very affluent county in FL.

Here is David Jolly's website. You can find his bio there:

David Jolly for Congress

Here is Alex Sink's website. You can find her bio there:

Alex Sink for Congress

In the last 3 congressional elections in the district, between 267,000 and 368,000 voters have cast votes. That is a pretty amazing disparity. In 2012, 329,000 cast votes. It will be interesting to see what turnout is for a "place-holder" election.

No polling that I know of to date. But the electoral history of this District indicates:

Advantage GOP.

Should be an interesting race to watch. I will be posting FL-13 polling data as it comes out.

Last edited:
Pardon my ignorance - so whoever wins goes to Washington?

I ask because civics class was forty years ago, and I don't remember if we have reps at state level.

• Banned
The winner in March goes to Washington until January of 2015. If it ends up that the winner of the election in March is also on the ballot for the standard primary, wins that primary and also wins the GE in November, then he gets to keep his seat from 2015-2017.

We are looking at two casts of characters here - indeed, a little confusing.

If the people of that district are dumb enough to vote her in, they deserve what happens to them. She ran against Rick Scott for governor and we floridians dodged a bullet there.

Forum List

Back