There should be more restrictions on what poor people can buy with food stamps.

I hope this clears up SNAP purchases (EBT)

You cannot buy hot food from the deli or prepared foods like mac n cheese, chicken or sandwiches, stuff from the salad bar or anything that is to be consumed at the premises. You can, however, buy deli meats and cheeses and cold uncooked items from the deli with your EBT card.

But there are some quirks in the system on what you can buy. For instance, you cannot buy a hot rotisserie chicken, fresh out of the rotisserie. But once they put that rotisserie chicken into the cold display case, its eligible to be purchased on food stamps. The same with, say, a sandwich.
There was obviously some major brain power going on with that decision!

Things you CAN buy using EBT / SNAP:
  • Breads and cereals
  • Fruits and vegetables
  • Meats, fish and poultry
  • Dairy products
  • Seeds and plants that produce food such as tomato seeds
  • Bottled water and non-alcoholic beverages

Things you CANNOT buy using EBT / SNAP:
  • Beer, wine, liquor, cigarettes or tobacco
  • Any nonfood items, such as: pet foods, soaps, paper products and household supplies
  • Vitamins and medicines
  • Food that will be eaten in the store
  • Hot foods or foods that are already prepared
This is another confusing aspect for me toilet paper- since that is a paper product correct? Soap. Good grief.

Rank Name Net worth in billion US$
1 Elon Musk 188.6
2 Jeff Bezos 187
3 Bill Gates 129
4 Mark Zuckerberg 105

No one gets to be billionaires without political pull in this country. This has always been the case. You pay to play past a certain level, always has been that way.

As they say, read the title. Why do you think they call them food stamps?
I assumed that was old language, as in dated, and generational definition changes would have targeted basic needs better. Another aspect that is a meth addict would generally be hard up to try to sell toilet paper…. well not in a pandemic they could get high dollar. Maybe that’s why they’re keeping it off the list ha. The bottom line is placing the kids needs above the adults if the choice is between soap and junk food. I’m biased. To ensure the kids have access to basic needs include toothpaste, toothbrush, shampoo, and soap. Apparently, not in the minds of “food stamp” regulators.

If I'm going to be buying dinner for the poor I think I should have a say in what's acceptable to buy and what's not. I'm not saying they shouldn't be able to buy steak or anything nice, but I do think they shouldn't be able to buy a bunch of chips, soda and candy. There's an obesity epidemic in the country, particularly among the poor, and I don't want my money to make it worse. With my taxed income I want people to be buying healthy foods that help facilitate healthy lifestyles. If people are really in such rough shape that they need that kind of help they should be more than happy to just buy the things they actually need with it.
Great to hear from a "I pulled myself up by my bootstraps" idiot who has it all, is convinced he/she earned it all by him/herself with absolutely no help from anyone else, and resents anyone who can't live up to his/her standards. Sad, so sad. Bigly!!!

Great to hear from a "I pulled myself up by my bootstraps" idiot who has it all, is convinced he/she earned it all by him/herself with absolutely no help from anyone else, and resents anyone who can't live up to his/her standards. Sad, so sad. Bigly!!!
You got all that just from me not wanting food assistance to cover mountains of candy and soda?

Leave it alone.

Such tracking is more trouble than it's worth.
Considering that you are the cafeteria centrist I will take that into account. I already know you’re right about what happens with govt changes. I don’t even have to look for past attempts to improve and the inept oversight committees they’ve had to mess with things. So yeah, probably they are as close as they’ll ever be to getting it “right”. Ineptitude still isn’t acceptable, but improving would involve shrinking federal waste of worthless oversight for tasks that could be achieved by high school kids.

The main thing is, if the freeloaders sign up for welfare, we OWN their asses!

The main thing is, if the freeloaders sign up for welfare, we OWN their asses!
A lot of military families are on welfare. So that's double the number of asses.

About 23,000 military families rely on food stamps, according to Census figures.

For those of you excited about cracking down on welfare recipients, should we apply the same logic to other issues?

Take public education. If families are going to take advantage of state charity, "free" education paid for with other people's money, shouldn't we have a say in how they raise their kids? I propose that anyone sending their kids to public schools must allow the school district to install cameras in their homes, to monitor them and make sure they're not squandering our investment.

Last edited:
For those of you excited about cracking down on welfare recipients, should we apply the same logic to other issues?

Take public education. If families are going to take advantage of state charity, "free" education paid for with other people's money, shouldn't we have a say in how they raise their kids? I propose that anyone sending their kids to public schools must allow the school district to install cameras in their homes, to monitor them and make sure they're not squandering our investment.
I have a better solution. Put the crack pipe down there, Hunter!

Take public education. If families are going to take advantage of state charity, "free" education paid for with other people's money, shouldn't we have a say in how they raise their kids?
I say if a kid misbehaves in school, he should serve detention. But after the third strike they should make the parents serve detention.

Have you been rereading Orwell’s 1984 by chance? Scary premonition that one, just had premature timeframe.

I can't even follow that logic. For one, most if not all people that have kids in school also pay for those schools. Secondly, at least in my state, most of the funding comes from the city or town. The state may kick in some, but nothing compared to what the locals pay for their schools.

Sounds to me like you've never been in the checkout line with these food stamp people. It happens to me all the time, and taxpayers get sick of what we see almost on a consistent basis.

Things you CAN buy using EBT / SNAP:
  • Breads and cereals
  • Fruits and vegetables
  • Meats, fish and poultry
  • Dairy products
  • Seeds and plants that produce food such as tomato seeds
  • Bottled water and non-alcoholic beverages

Things you CANNOT buy using EBT / SNAP:
  • Beer, wine, liquor, cigarettes or tobacco
  • Any nonfood items, such as: pet foods, soaps, paper products and household supplies
  • Vitamins and medicines
  • Food that will be eaten in the store
  • Hot foods or foods that are already prepared

This is correct. I see them all the time in my store. They plop a cart of food on the conveyor belt. At the end the cash register separates the food stamp items from the non-food stamp items. They pay for their SNAP's items with the card, and then whip out a wad of cash for all that dog food, cat litter, greeting cards, perfume, and then they run to the head cashier to buy lottery tickets.

Forum List

Back