There should be more restrictions on what poor people can buy with food stamps.

Not the same. People who buy groceries with their own earnings can decide how to spend it. People who buy groceries using other people’s money shouldn’t expect to spend it on junk.
How do you know it's "other people's money"? How do you know it's not theirs? Most welfare recipients are on state support temporarily, and pay far more in taxes, over a lifetime, than they ever receive in welfare.

It’s a form of charity to the recipient.
No, it's not. Charity is voluntary, and at the discretion of the person donating the money.
This sense of entitlement is going to be our downfall.
It's the people who vote for these programs, and then think the programs entitle them to lord it over others, who will be our downfall. Your attitude is a recipe for totalitarian government.

Last edited:
How do you know it's "other people's money"? How do you know it's not theirs? Most welfare recipients are on state support temporarily, and pay far more in taxes, over a lifetime, than they ever receive in welfare.
We are talking about FOOD STAMPS and what they purchase with it. That is other people’s money.

No, it's not. Charity is voluntary, and at the discretion of the person donating the money.

It's the people who vote for these programs, and then think the programs entitlement them to lord it over others, who will be our downfall. Your attitude is a recipe for totalitarian government.
Your attitude that people should be given other people’s money with the freedom to spend it however they want will be the downfall.

Welfare is a form of charity from the perspective of the recipient.

Oh, but they do. Our local news sued for the data and had a pile, and I mean a pile of papers stacked on a desk showing the numbers (not names) of cards used at liquor stores and strip clubs.
I don't lie. You are wrong...
Did anyone suggest the liquor stores and strip clubs be shut down for violating the law?

EBT is cash assistance from the state government. You can't use an EBT to buy alcohol. ... If a store is allowing EBT purchases of prohibited items, the owner could be fined and face losing their ability to sell alcohol or lottery tickets.

While Home Economics was a popular class available throughout the 1900's that taught students essential life skills, such as cooking, cleaning, household management and finance, it now rarely shows up in classroom curriculums.
Is that true? no more home ech.

We are talking about FOOD STAMPS and what they purchase with it. That is other people’s money.
Nope. Welfare services are programs that we all pay for via taxes - even the person you claim is using "other people's money" pays taxes for this service. They are forced to by statists like you. And then you want to make them jump through hoops when they try to get some of their money back.

Now now Meaner Gene, I know you saw the rest of my post so don’t play the fool like you’re good at doing!
The whole start of your post described the poor making use of resources readily available in middle class neighborhoods, but usually lacking or even non-existant where they live.

So the rest of your post was built on a faulty foundation.

If I'm going to be buying dinner for the poor I think I should have a say in what's acceptable to buy and what's not. I'm not saying they shouldn't be able to buy steak or anything nice, but I do think they shouldn't be able to buy a bunch of chips, soda and candy. There's an obesity epidemic in the country, particularly among the poor, and I don't want my money to make it worse. With my taxed income I want people to be buying healthy foods that help facilitate healthy lifestyles. If people are really in such rough shape that they need that kind of help they should be more than happy to just buy the things they actually need with it.
It's ironic that the "poor" suffer from obesity at a higher rate than anyone else. While mostly lefties concern themselves with cliches like "children go to bed hungry" the same kids blow up to 200 pounds.

If I'm going to be buying dinner for the poor I think I should have a say in what's acceptable to buy and what's not. I'm not saying they shouldn't be able to buy steak or anything nice, but I do think they shouldn't be able to buy a bunch of chips, soda and candy. There's an obesity epidemic in the country, particularly among the poor, and I don't want my money to make it worse. With my taxed income I want people to be buying healthy foods that help facilitate healthy lifestyles. If people are really in such rough shape that they need that kind of help they should be more than happy to just buy the things they actually need with it.

Who are you to say that I shouldn't enjoy my 20 year old Romanian cave aged cheese with a glass of caymus?

Your attitude that people should be given other people’s money with the freedom to spend it however they want will be the downfall.
That's not my attitude. It's not other people's money. We talked about that.
Welfare is a form of charity from the perspective of the recipient.
No it's not. It's a social program they have, and will, pay for their entire life. Your "other people's money" schtick is a conceit invented by statists to justify intrusive government - "you didn't build that".

Maybe its just me would rather spend part of my tax dollar feeding CHILDERN and adults than buying useless fighter jets for a military that has not been able to pass an audit for the last 4 years.

Not always. Somebody recently laid off, is getting his own tax money back.
It's actually the case that the majority of welfare recipients are on it for less than three years in their lifetime and pay far more in taxes than they receive in benefits. The whole thing is just an excuse for social engineering schemes - typical "we know better" shit.

Your desire for healthy foods for poor people often depends on access to healthier foods which often isn’t accessible.

New Topics

Forum List

Back