There should be more restrictions on what poor people can buy with food stamps.

I support universal healthcare. I also think we should be desperately fighting to lower the cost of education for young people. Oh, and I'm pro-choice. Am I still a right wing clown, or are you just a partisan moron?
Am I still a right wing clown, or are you just a partisan moron?

No, you're just a nonpartisan, condescending, naive, state worshiping clown.

Feel better now?

I’ve been saying the exact same thing for a while now.

I see no reason for the government to supply people with free Skittles, Pepsi, and Cheetos.

The left and right will disagree on the value of food stamps in general, but I think this is something that both sides should easily agree on.

The left argues that we need to help people in need. The right argues that we create dependency by giving things out. If we eliminate junk food from their food stamps, we make that population healthier and we give them an incentive to get off food stamps. That’s a win-win.

We’ll only provide you with basic sustenance: bread, cheese, milk, eggs, water, meat, rice, beans, fruits, vegetables, etc. And you can’t have that Snickers bar unless you use your OWN money.

I used to work in a grocery store. This would be incredibly easy to implement. It would just take a few strokes on the computer to indicate what can be purchased with food stamps. The system is already in place, people can’t buy a lot of things with food stamps, we just need to add all junk food to that.
Good post. Thank you for contributing.

Doesn't matter....People with SNAP cards regularly do shopping for others, and take cash reimbursements at a discount from their "customers"

What bliss ninnies like the OP fail to realize, is that there are more ways to get around their "reforms" than they're capable of imagining.
There is an economy within the economy of the United States using government program benefits. not unlike a black underground market or bartering. Which in itself may increase hugely if things keep going this way.

You live in one of the best countries on Earth. You're likely one of the most comfortable people that has ever lived when comparing your life to everybody else around the world and to those that came before you. Show a little gratitude. It's really not that bad here.
Agreed. But we have plenty of idiots trying to make it worse.

Oh spare us the liberaoidal "they'll be starving in the streets" pablum, faux lolbertarian.
You probably said the same thing about COVID in the early days. And then there was a person released from the ER in NYC (because they were overcrowded) and sent home with a prescription, who fell down dead a few blocks away.

Agreed. But we lots of idiots trying to make it worse.
It's not going to get worse in a seriously meaningful way. For the time being we'll continue to just shuffle shit around every 4 years and fight about it. Ever advancing technology is going to completely change the game soon I think.

If I'm going to be buying dinner for the poor I think I should have a say in what's acceptable to buy and what's not. I'm not saying they shouldn't be able to buy steak or anything nice, but I do think they shouldn't be able to buy a bunch of chips, soda and candy. There's an obesity epidemic in the country, particularly among the poor, and I don't want my money to make it worse. With my taxed income I want people to be buying healthy foods that help facilitate healthy lifestyles. If people are really in such rough shape that they need that kind of help they should be more than happy to just buy the things they actually need with it.
You whine about the vaccine, and then whine about healthy choices. What a silly goober you are.

I’ve been saying the exact same thing for a while now.

I see no reason for the government to supply people with free Skittles, Pepsi, and Cheetos.

The left and right will disagree on the value of food stamps in general, but I think this is something that both sides should easily agree on.

The left argues that we need to help people in need. The right argues that we create dependency by giving things out. If we eliminate junk food from their food stamps, we make that population healthier and we give them an incentive to get off food stamps. That’s a win-win.

We’ll only provide you with basic sustenance: bread, cheese, milk, eggs, water, meat, rice, beans, fruits, vegetables, etc. And you can’t have that Snickers bar unless you use your OWN money.

I used to work in a grocery store. This would be incredibly easy to implement. It would just take a few strokes on the computer to indicate what can be purchased with food stamps. The system is already in place, people can’t buy a lot of things with food stamps, we just need to add all junk food to that.

There is no reason why you have a Food Stamp program at all. If you raised the minimum wage to $15 per hour, the workers could afford to give up their $130 a month stipend which the governments collects in taxes, then applies a means test to, and then distributes back to the workers' bank accounts, thus cutting out all of the tax dollars needed to fund the program, and all of the government workers collecting the taxes, deciding who qualifies and distributing the money.

Employers can claim the increase in wages as a business expense, so with a 28% tax rate, every dollar of that raise, only costs the company $0.78, while every $1 in government support costs the taxpayers $1.50 to collect and re-distribute. It's a win/win for everyone. Reduces taxes, reduces social spending, shrinks the size of government - the conservative trifecta!!

You live in one of the best countries on Earth. You're likely one of the most comfortable people that has ever lived when comparing your life to everybody else around the world and to those that came before you. Show a little gratitude. It's really not that bad here.
Get this shit....The bliss ninny dweeb rationalizing waving a gun in peoples' faces to operate a state-run "charity" scam is telling others to show gratitude?!?

Ho-lee-fuck! :auiqs.jpg:

You whine about the vaccine, and then whine about healthy choices. What a silly goober you are.
I'm vaccinated too. I know, I know! It's so confusing the way my perspective can vary depending on context. Maybe you should go watch CNN or something.

The majority of those on WIC are infants and toddlers, the majority of people on EBT are elderly, disabled and children, 80%...
But it is the parents of the infants and toddlers who decide how to spend OUR money. I agree there should be restrictions on what welfare recipients buy: milk, formula, and baby food for the infants, and for older children: chicken, ground beef, inexpensive cuts of fish, veggies, fruit, bread, peanut butter and jelly, eggs and cheese. And only generic brands of canned foods.

What‘s wrong with that?

It's not going to get worse in a seriously meaningful way. For the time being we'll continue to just shuffle shit around every 4 years and fight about it. Ever advancing technology is going to completely change the game soon I think.
It won't get worse from your pov, because you're a statist. And statism is trending.

There is no reason why you have a Food Stamp program at all. If you raised the minimum wage to $15 per hour...
I don't see a bipartisan agreement on that. And even then, I still think you would need a food stamp program as there will still be people without a job.

In short, I don't think this is practical at this moment.

Eliminating junk food from food stamps is something that both sides can agree to right now.

Grown people that cannot take care of themselves should not be upset when the grown people that are taking care of themselves and them have opinions about how welfare funds should be used.
There are millions of people recieving food stamps who work for a living but receive a low wage & struggle to make ends meet. And that includes U.S. military personnel, idiot. So, you wanna tell some U.S. Marine what they can buy?

Go ahead tough guy, let's see how long it takes before your teeth are knocked out of your big mouth, ahole.

You probably said the same thing about COVID in the early days. And then there was a person released from the ER in NYC (because they were overcrowded) and sent home with a prescription, who fell down dead a few blocks away.
ImpressiveStoopit.jpg

Employers can claim the increase in wages as a business expense, so with a 28% tax rate, every dollar of that raise, only costs the company $0.78, while every $1 in government support costs the taxpayers $1.50 to collect and re-distribute. It's a win/win for everyone. Reduces taxes, reduces social spending, shrinks the size of government - the conservative trifecta!!
Conservatives don't believe in a minimum wage. That employers should be able to hire at the cheapest wage they can get away with, even if they rely on illegal aliens to set that wage ceiling.

Forum List

Back