There is one area in which Progressives make inroads: accountability. Trump has to meet this challenge also

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
AOC and her squad will make little inroads by selling the Green New Deal, especially post pandemic. Where they resonate and even get the attention of many in the U.S, is on accountability The world doesn't want ideologues, but, they want leaders who compromise and find the best of all ideas. This is where Trump can maximize his unpredictability and free belief system.

When AOC called out Amazon for getting major tax breaks for moving to New York, I heard the GOP mock her. I happened to agree with her. The biggest company on the planet, one that destroys so many local businesses wherever they open up shop needed $3B from taxayers to move to N.Y? That's the exact opposite of capitalism. I can support breaks for smaller businesses and strict industries, but not the largest China warehouse. Accountability of tax dollars. Government might as well had just spent the $3B locally and create their own jobs if this were the case.

So, I gave AOC credit for this (many other conservatives did not), supporting her position even as I cannot stand her general politics. You have to have principle above all else and demand proper use of government funding, she did on this issue. Now Amazon went to Manhattan anyways, fewer jobs, but not a dime spent by taxpayers. A win of sorts for AOC and her flock. At worst, it showed that taxpayers don't need to buy big CEOs.

Her position on accountability for police also resonates, she's expressed responsible funding and movement to areas that might decrease crime at the source. This issue is difficult to overcome for all parties, this why Biden probably has decided to choose a more "progressive VP", that person will do it for him and expand his voting bloc. Trump has to point to his own justice reforms and paint Biden as the legacy candidate that he is and his past support of crime bills that Trump basically had to fix by giving pardons to those excessively sentenced. It's a very difficult one for Biden to deny, Trump has to stay in that lane and pound him while promoting a more "Constitution driven" policy campaign. Along with protecting U.S jobs from China, there is mass appeal for this by all political persuasions.

The endorsement from Bolton to Biden is also a God send for Trumps campaign as progressives and Independents will take note of that. Trump can claim votes from some progressives that Biden is trying to juggle support from along with the traditional Dems. Since Trump is not fixated on particular agendas and more on "making the best decision for each issue", it puts him in a place that allows him to outreach far broader than any GOP before him. He need not reject all Progressives, why do that? A good % of Bernie voters chose Trump in 2016. You can grab many of them, without having to become them. Just cut out vital policies re: accountability, civil liberties for all etc. It's a win/win for everyone. Progress, and votes.

AOC and her squad will make little inroads by selling the Green New Deal, especially post pandemic. Where they resonate and even get the attention of many in the U.S, is on accountability The world doesn't want ideologues, but, they want leaders who compromise and find the best of all ideas. This is where Trump can maximize his unpredictability and free belief system.

When AOC called out Amazon for getting major tax breaks for moving to New York, I heard the GOP mock her. I happened to agree with her. The biggest company on the planet, one that destroys so many local businesses wherever they open up shop needed $3B from taxayers to move to N.Y? That's the exact opposite of capitalism. I can support breaks for smaller businesses and strict industries, but not the largest China warehouse. Accountability of tax dollars. Government might as well had just spent the $3B locally and create their own jobs if this were the case.

So, I gave AOC credit for this (many other conservatives did not), supporting her position even as I cannot stand her general politics. You have to have principle above all else and demand proper use of government funding, she did on this issue. Now Amazon went to Manhattan anyways, fewer jobs, but not a dime spent by taxpayers. A win of sorts for AOC and her flock. At worst, it showed that taxpayers don't need to buy big CEOs.

Her position on accountability for police also resonates, she's expressed responsible funding and movement to areas that might decrease crime at the source. This issue is difficult to overcome for all parties, this why Biden probably has decided to choose a more "progressive VP", that person will do it for him and expand his voting bloc. Trump has to point to his own justice reforms and paint Biden as the legacy candidate that he is and his past support of crime bills that Trump basically had to fix by giving pardons to those excessively sentenced. It's a very difficult one for Biden to deny, Trump has to stay in that lane and pound him while promoting a more "Constitution driven" policy campaign. Along with protecting U.S jobs from China, there is mass appeal for this by all political persuasions.

The endorsement from Bolton to Biden is also a God send for Trumps campaign as progressives and Independents will take note of that. Trump can claim votes from some progressives that Biden is trying to juggle support from along with the traditional Dems. Since Trump is not fixated on particular agendas and more on "making the best decision for each issue", it puts him in a place that allows him to outreach far broader than any GOP before him. He need not reject all Progressives, why do that? A good % of Bernie voters chose Trump in 2016. You can grab many of them, without having to become them. Just cut out vital policies re: accountability, civil liberties for all etc. It's a win/win for everyone. Progress, and votes.
Very stupid post.
1. The Amazon deal in NYC was NOT based on a $3b cash handout from NYC to Amazon.
They were future tax breaks to offset the cost of cleaning up blight, adding 25,000 good permanent jobs, and building the new HQ2 complex for $5b.
2. Losing HQ2 actually cost NY $27b. So how fucking stupid was that?????????

Her position on accountability for police also resonates,
There is nothing new or exciting about the left wanting to defund the police

its the same old rehab vs punishment argument society has been having for 150 years

AOC wants to blame everyone except the criminals

Very stupid post.
1. The Amazon deal in NYC was NOT based on a $3b cash handout from NYC to Amazon.
They were future tax breaks to offset the cost of cleaning up blight, adding 25,000 good permanent jobs, and building the new HQ2 complex for $5b.
2. Losing HQ2 actually cost NY $27b. So how fucking stupid was that?????????

A company decides to come to you city or they don't. Why is a company with $280B in revenue needing tax breaks? Come or don't. Don't come with your hand open.

Amazon paid $162M in federal taxes, or a 1.2% rate. How much is the postal service losing to deliver their goods? How many industries and jobs lost when they open up shop?

I'm all for low taxes and allowing companies to prosper. You can bet that the resentment of people paying so much income tax direct from their pay while massive corporations avoid it, is going to start driving the politics. Defending tax breaks for Amazon is not the hill to die on.

Amazon paid a 1.2% tax rate on $13,285,000,000 in profit for 2019.

Forum List

Back