Theories of Violent Crime Rise in America

350 million guns

Doesn't add up......

27 years of increased gun ownership...

Gun murder down 49%

Gun crime down 75%...

If more guns = more gun crime, than that 27 years shows it isn't true.

Over the last 27 years, up to the year 2015, we went from 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s and 4.7 million people carrying guns for self defense in 1997...to close to 400-600 million guns in private hands and over 19.4 million people carrying guns for self defense in 2019...guess what happened...

New Concealed Carry Report For 2020: 19.48 Million Permit Holders, 820,000 More Than Last Year despite many states shutting down issuing permits because of the Coronavirus - Crime Prevention Research Center

-- gun murder down 49%

--gun crime down 75%

--violent crime down 72%

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.

This means that access to guns does not create gun crime........

Why do our democrat party controlled cities have gun crime problems?

1) the democrat party keeps releasing violent gun offenders...they have created a revolving door for criminals who use guns, and will release even the most serious gun offenders over and over again....why? Probably because they realise that normal people don't use their guns for crime, so if they want to push gun control, they need criminals to shoot people.....so they keep releasing them....

2) The democrat party keeps attacking the police.....driving the officers into not doing pro-active policing, cutting detective forces so that murders go unsolved..........

Different issue

Decline of the nuclear family is a sociological problem correlated to the loss of manufacturing jobs in urban areas
When a government program encourages more out of wedlock children with the absence of a male head of household, that usurps job losses.

When a government program encourages more out of wedlock children with the absence of a male head of household, that usurps job losses.
You are putting the cart before the horse

Families struggled because of the loss of earning from the family breadwinner before the Government stepped in to help them

Families struggled because of the loss of earning from the family breadwinner before the Government stepped in to help them
So that was the first time (1960s) that families struggled because of the loss of the family breadwinner? It didn’t happen in the 20s? 30s? You have now shifted the cause to the loss of the family breadwinner. Before, it was because manufacturing jobs left the cities. You say both events as causes as if they had never happened in US History. Again, Great Society and Civil Rights Legislation passed, yet gun violence skyrocketed but it was not the first time jobs left. Why did gun violence skyrocket?

why would that cause people to have children out of wedlock exactly? Having less money to support children doesnt seem like a driver to have more of them. I also dont understand why you would think that would cause people to not get married who otherwise would.

I can’t find a more recent chart of mass shootings. But they just go up exponentially as the chart continues. But there is one common theme among the timeline charts compiled out there - they only go back to the 1960’s. For good reason - mass shootings of strangers began in the 1960’s. I’m not talking about what family members and gangs have done, they go back to the days BC. I’m talking about walking into a room of strangers or slight acquaintances like coworkers and just murder them.
View attachment 581036
Americans have always owned guns. My father and his friends took rifles to school to go rabbit hunting afterwards. Machine guns and even cannons were owned by citizens through much of American history.

So what changed during the 1960’s to start this upward trend?

I’ll offer a theory as to what occurred. If you don’t like it, fine. But offer your own theory as to the catalyst that started this.

1. Decline in morality
The narcissistic ‘Me’ era was being born in the 60’s. It’s all about me. Christianity was removed from schools in 1962. Instead of sitting on the porch talking to neighbors we started sitting in front of the boob tube. Drug use was rising for the first time in America. We chuckle at ‘Sex, Drugs and Rock n Roll’ but there’s a lot to it. Sex outside of marriage and drugs are huge addictions that cause good people to do a lot of stupid things throughout history. Christianity has been on the decline since the 60’s and being replaced by every other religion.

2. Criminal behavior being idolized
In the 60’s Hollywood began a transition from movies with a moral theme to darker themed movies that now in the past few decades idolizes violent crime. Many of the mass shootings in the past few decades have been copycat I want my face to be remembered too crimes of insanity.

3. Soft on crime
The movement to eliminate the death penalty went into overdrive in the 60’s. We made it clear to everyone that no matter how horrific your actions are, we will just lock you up and give you 3 hot meals a day and you can be the cell block hero who killed all those people. Then we started to release violent felons from prison early with no justification. Right now the average time served for first degree murder is just 10 years. 68% of felons on parole will be rearrested within 3 years, 77% after 5 years. And that’s just the ones caught.

4. Illegal drug use
Illegal drug use kicked into full swing in the 60’s. Illiterate people say drugs don’t hurt anyone. Fact is drugs literally eat your body from the inside out, including your brain. And once it’s talons have sunk into you, it’s a one way road. Many children born to drug addicts have mental issues, including a lack of empathy towards others. They’d just as much get entertained watching you slowly die from being shot as they would anything else.

It might have something to do with the fact that there is no legal definition of mass shooting

It might have something to do with the fact that there is no legal definition of mass shooting

True, but we do have records of events like school and work shootings. And we’ve gone from extremely rare 50 years ago to now a monthly occurrence.

why would that cause people to have children out of wedlock exactly? Having less money to support children doesnt seem like a driver to have more of them. I also dont understand why you would think that would cause people to not get married who otherwise would.
When the breadwinner had a good paying job, they got married

When the breadwinner has no job prospects they do not marry.

Forum List

Back