Then & Now - political evolutions and contradictions

Amelia

Rookie
Feb 14, 2011
Packerland!
I still see a place for unions - even in some portions of the the public sector. For example, police officers need advocates so that when they make life and death decisions in a split second and something goes wrong, they don't get thrown under the bus by city mayors who are looking for someone to take the fall.

Nevertheless, the heydey of unions is over. Yes they brought about many reforms. However most of the reforms they fought about have been codified into law. So there isn't the driving need there once was. Further, now there's a lot of corruption as union leaders seek to consolidate power as their ranks diminish.

Wow ... that was a controversial way to start this thread. Whooops. Anyway, what I'm inviting is examples of groups, movements, ideas, etc. which may have had a need once but whose time has possibly past ... or who might be now contradicting what they fought for in the past.

For example of a contradiction:

In the past, progressives gave us the secret ballot.

In the present, progressives want unions to be organized by means of card check.

Last edited:
  • Banned
bump once. I'm sure there are some better examples out there than I can think of. But I knew I posted this too late last night. :lol:

New Topics

Forum List

Back