Theism, Atheism, Non-Theism

Blues Man

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2016
Considering the number and contentiousness of threads on these topics, I thought it might be interesting to compare these three philosophies.

It cannot be denied that theism has been a major force in human society at all levels of development. And I believe there have always been a minority that didn't believe in the gods of their times.

I personally have chosen a philosophy of non-theism. My path is not based on whether gods exist or not.

We are all pretty well acquainted with the major theistic religions and the similarities outweigh the differences and in fact the big three all claim to worship the same creator and also recognize the prophet, Abraham. So I don't really want to discuss the differences of the Abrahamic religions and would rather concentrate on theism in general including paganism.

Atheism doesn't need much introduction as it's stance is pretty clear. There are no gods.

Agnosticism as I see it is akin to non-theism in that the existence of any gods is not affirmed but the possibility of the existence of gods is not denied but that gods if they exist are thought to be unknowable and that there is also the possibility that gods do not exist. We, as people, can easily equate the unknowable with nonexistence. One thing I am unsure of regarding agnosticism is whether or not the mere existence of gods is considered important.

Non-theism is a little muddied as some non-theistic philosophies recognize that gods may exist much like agnosticism but that it also that the existence of gods is not required of anyone walking the path.

Many of you know I have studied and practiced Buddhism for many years with a healthy dose of classical Stoicism in the mix. So I do firmly believe that it doesn't matter if gods exist or not and that as Buddhism states that Right Understanding, Right thought, Right Intention, Right Speech, Right Action etc, are all steps on the path to enlightenment.

I do not believe it matters if gods exist or not and gods are certainly not necessary in order to live a righteous life.

Thoughts?

Theism - Christian. A study of history shows what Human kind is like without the understanding and practice of the teachings of Jesus Christ.

Deism: Belief in a creator, but said creator doesn't necessarily have to be the Judeo-Christian "God".
True. The Abrahamic religions all worship the same god but I did not intend to imply that all monotheistic religions worship the same god.

Theism - Christian. A study of history shows what Human kind is like without the understanding and practice of the teachings of Jesus Christ.

Not necessarily.

Human behavior hasn't changed all that much in the last 2000 years.

Considering the number and contentiousness of threads on these topics, I thought it might be interesting to compare these three philosophies.

It cannot be denied that theism has been a major force in human society at all levels of development. And I believe there have always been a minority that didn't believe in the gods of their times.

I personally have chosen a philosophy of non-theism. My path is not based on whether gods exist or not.

We are all pretty well acquainted with the major theistic religions and the similarities outweigh the differences and in fact the big three all claim to worship the same creator and also recognize the prophet, Abraham. So I don't really want to discuss the differences of the Abrahamic religions and would rather concentrate on theism in general including paganism.

Atheism doesn't need much introduction as it's stance is pretty clear. There are no gods.

Agnosticism as I see it is akin to non-theism in that the existence of any gods is not affirmed but the possibility of the existence of gods is not denied but that gods if they exist are thought to be unknowable and that there is also the possibility that gods do not exist. We, as people, can easily equate the unknowable with nonexistence. One thing I am unsure of regarding agnosticism is whether or not the mere existence of gods is considered important.

Non-theism is a little muddied as some non-theistic philosophies recognize that gods may exist much like agnosticism but that it also that the existence of gods is not required of anyone walking the path.

Many of you know I have studied and practiced Buddhism for many years with a healthy dose of classical Stoicism in the mix. So I do firmly believe that it doesn't matter if gods exist or not and that as Buddhism states that Right Understanding, Right thought, Right Intention, Right Speech, Right Action etc, are all steps on the path to enlightenment.

I do not believe it matters if gods exist or not and gods are certainly not necessary in order to live a righteous life.

Thoughts?
.....all are ridiculous terms since there is no god--no one has proven there is a god ....it's worthless---like saying you are ASanta--AEaster bunny/etc

Thoughts?
.....all are ridiculous terms since there is no god--no one has proven there is a god ....it's worthless---like saying you are ASanta--AEaster bunny/etc

I'm not attempting to prove the existence of any gods.

Deism: Belief in a creator, but said creator doesn't necessarily have to be the Judeo-Christian "God".
True. The Abrahamic religions all worship the same god but I did not intend to imply that all monotheistic religions worship the same god.
I mention this because of the non-denominational "Nature's God" referenced in the DoI.

I mention this because of the non-denominational "Nature's God" referenced in the DoI.
It's a good point. I should have been a little clearer in the OP

It's a good point. I should have been a little clearer in the OP
Just adding to a good OP. :2up:

It's clear to me that the framers were leaving a wide berth for all faiths.

Hell, even all the christian sects don't worship the same god.
That can certainly be argued.

I guess I'm asking in a round about way if Christians or theists, or deists would change their behaviors if they found out that there was no god and if atheists would change their behavior if they found there was.

As a non-theist I don't think it matters if there is actually a god, gods, creator etc. I believe that for me it would have no effect on the path I have chosen to walk.

Thoughts?

Failing to distinguish the difference between classical theism, which arguably includes deism, and the pagan religions of materialism is nonsensical. Why the hell would one believe in a created god?

Thoughts?

Failing to distinguish the difference between classical theism, which arguably includes deism, and the pagan religions of materialism is nonsensical. Why the hell would one believe in a created god?
I am referring to the belief in any gods whatsoever. I do not recognize a difference in Pagan gods or the Abrahamic god

Thoughts?
They are not philosophies. They are doctrines of different categories, and improperly compared.
Theism is an ontological doctrine that suggests that there is supernatural deity that controls reality.

Humanism is an ontological doctrine that suggests that humans define reality.

Agnosticism is an ethical doctrine that suggests that a supernatural dimension of human experience cannot be determined.

Atheism is a political doctrine that opposes theist doctrine for the basis for public policy.

Non-theism and anti-theism are silly word games.

Secularism is a political doctrine of infinite tolerance - no bias, which favors seems to favor atheism, because theist based doctrine is always biased against people who do not believe in a supernatural dimension of human experience.

Thoughts?
They are not philosophies. They are doctrines of different categories, and improperly compared.
Theism is an ontological doctrine that suggests that there is supernatural deity that controls reality.

Humanism is an ontological doctrine that suggests that humans define reality.

Agnosticism is an ethical doctrine that suggests that a supernatural dimension of human experience cannot be determined.

Atheism is a political doctrine that opposes theist doctrine for the basis for public policy.

Non-theism and anti-theism are silly word games.

Secularism is a political doctrine of infinite tolerance - no bias, which favors seems to favor atheism, because theist based doctrine is always biased against people who do not believe in a supernatural dimension of human experience.

Distinctions without differences as far as this discussion is concerned.

And if secularism is indeed defined by infinite tolerance then atheism cannot be favored because all things are tolerated equally.

What you you call the belief that it matters not whether gods do or don't exist?

I chose the term non-theist

Last edited:

Forum List

Back