The Y2K bug, 22 years later

You stupid fuck Nazis just can't let a conspiracy theory go.....

No matter how completely debunked it is.

Buh a VIDEO store using homegrown software on a C64....
^^^ a raving lunatic who still doesn't know Y2K was not a conspiracy; but was a real issue that had to be resolved in the 90's.

And THIS is what it's all about.

You think you can support current hoaxes by rehabilitating long debunked hoaxes.

That was obvious from the start.
Y2K was an issue. Many systems and software programs depended on the correct computer date to function. We can debate the level of hysteria but people took it seriously and resolved to take care of it. Like it or not, when the calendar turned to 2000, there was little in the way of fanfare. Just like it should have been. Planning and preparation.

Yeah no.
I was a Sys Admin from 1998 - 2001. There are plenty of posts I have made saying I was a Sys Admin. I worked for the 5th largest media company (at the time) in America.
56 properties. 1,000s of servers and 10,000s of computers.
The Y2K issues were thought about in the early 90s. Like I said, software companies took care of the problem yeeeaars before 2000 in updates.
We didn't have one issue. None. 1,000s of servers, 10,000s of computers - a gazillion programs and applications. Not one problem.
I was a programmer for 20 years leading up to Y2K. The issue did come from the short date field. And not everything was fixed years before. A lot was fixed in the last couple of years. Either because of lack of budget upgrading bought systems, or because of running in-house developed systems. And a number of OS were not fixed until late, looking at you, Novell...

Y2K was an issue. Many systems and software programs depended on the correct computer date to function. We can debate the level of hysteria but people took it seriously and resolved to take care of it. Like it or not, when the calendar turned to 2000, there was little in the way of fanfare. Just like it should have been. Planning and preparation.
Y2K was a no win situation for IT. Do nothing and get blamed for shit falling apart. Do what we did and people tell you it was over-hyped.

I was a programmer for 20 years leading up to Y2K. The issue did come from the short date field. And not everything was fixed years before. A lot was fixed in the last couple of years. Either because of lack of budget upgrading bought systems, or because of running in-house developed systems. And a number of OS were not fixed until late, looking at you, Novell...
Ah... good ol' Novell Networks. IPX/SPX ... worked pretty good. Could network together both PC and Macs I believe they were the first to do that.

Yeah, planes were falling from the sky, the space station crashed to earth, All bank accounts were erased. Nuclear power plants exploded, cars stopped working, just like predicted....

Fucking moron.

There isn't a conspiracy theory you Nazi fools won't promote.

And the impact was - well - nothing at all.

Looking at you - mass hysteria media.

Oh, and you COULD have updated from Netware 2.0 to 3.12 or even 4.0

Last edited:
Y2K was a no win situation for IT. Do nothing and get blamed for shit falling apart. Do what we did and people tell you it was over-hyped.

I had no problem with it.

If you ran ancient systems, fix them. Anything past 1985 wasn't affected. In those instances where there were two digit dates, it didn't much matter. Yes, a video rental showing the wrong century is funny, but doesn't amount to anything.

None of it amounted to anything - it was a hoax. One that I'm ashamed to say was exploited by my profession to gouge clients and anyone not well educated on systems. And one exploited by the corrupt media because they are worthless fucks who thrive on panic.

Oh, and you COULD have updated from Netware 2.0 to 3.12 or even 4.0

Fruitcake, the impact was minimal because it was addressed over the course of a decade which mitigated the risk. You're demented beyond any repair.

Fruitcake, the impact was minimal because it was addressed over the course of a decade which mitigated the risk. You're demented beyond any repair.

Dumbfuck, there never was any severe danger.

OHMYGAWD, a video store calculated late fees wrong....

Fucking retard.

Forum List

Back