The XL Pipeline

Tom Sweetnam

Platinum Member
Aug 27, 2014
8000' up in the san juan mountain foothills
Interesting debate on C-Span today regarding the best way to transport petroleum. The petroleum train explosion in West Virginia brings train safety in the US to the fore, especially when transporting highly volatile substances like shale crude (much more explosive than refined gasoline because of gasses still extant that aren't extracted until the raw crude is refined).

Naturally, obstructionist left loons are scrambling in damage control mode trying to explain away the common sense of SAFE petroleum transportation: pipelines...like the XL. They're much happier with train explosions like the one in West Virginia

Photos: petroleum train explosions (they're hundreds of such photos on Google; these two happened in North Dakota and Quebec).

train-oil-fireball-explosion-casselton-north-dakota-dec2013_phmsa_1000.jpg

petroleum train explosion quebec.jpg

That's because the left lies, its not about safety its about their hatred of corporations making profits off fossil fuels.

How much Bakken product will go to Virginia via the XL pipeline.

Do you think a Canadian owned Pipeline running through the US should be allowed to keep our American oil producers from using it, giving preference to Canadian Oil?

A lot if they build an extension. They're refineries on the East Coast. The real issue here is rail safety...which in this country is pretty sad.
And inter structure, such as our railways, is what we should be spending our tax dollars on, in upgrading them.

Why are all of these accidents happening? Are the rails antiquated? Do they need repair, a new system...what is it that is making them so unsafe in transporting goods? What can we do to make OUR rail, safer?

Or is it the oil cars, do they all need to be made safe and thicker and less likely to burst when there is an accident?

to me, this has nothing to do with xlpipeline. It is not an either/or

This should be about making our railways safer and better.... it's something we should do as a nation.

A lot if they build an extension. They're refineries on the East Coast. The real issue here is rail safety...which in this country is pretty sad.
And inter structure, such as our railways, is what we should be spending our tax dollars on, in upgrading them.

Why are all of these accidents happening? Are the rails antiquated? Do they need repair, a new system...what is it that is making them so unsafe in transporting goods? What can we do to make OUR rail, safer?

Or is it the oil cars, do they all need to be made safe and thicker and less likely to burst when there is an accident?

to me, this has nothing to do with xlpipeline.

This should be about making our railways safer and better.... it's something we should do as a nation.

All of the above. Our railways are no different than other aspects of America's infrastructure. Our roads, bridges, and rail systems are in a sad state of decline. We've been very neglectful. You won't get any argument from me about pumping a trillion into America's transportation infrastructure.

Interesting debate on C-Span today regarding the best way to transport petroleum. The petroleum train explosion in West Virginia brings train safety in the US to the fore, especially when transporting highly volatile substances like shale crude (much more explosive than refined gasoline because of gasses still extant that aren't extracted until the raw crude is refined).

Naturally, obstructionist left loons are scrambling in damage control mode trying to explain away the common sense of SAFE petroleum transportation: pipelines...like the XL. They're much happier with train explosions like the one in West Virginia

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold on there. You started with a false premise.

Left Loons™ don't want us transporting oil by trains instead of pipelines. No, they want us to stop transporting and using oil completely.

Oil should stay in the ground, where Gaia needs it. That's her blood!

I'm pro pipelines. The rail cars were the new and improved versions too. The issue is the volatile gases that the producers in the Bakken fields leave in the product.

Do you think a Canadian owned Pipeline running through the US should be allowed to keep our American oil producers from using it, giving preference to Canadian Oil?

You know, when it comes to the free market, there are no two countries on earth more connected than the US and Canada. You want some US ownership of the XL? Then do like I did: buy some stock in TransCanada. It's a publically traded corporation, a big one. And I might remind everyone that 52% of our imported oil comes from Canada. The argument for thinking people is how to transport volatile petroleum substances SAFELY. Pipelines have always gotten my vote.

BTW An interesting tidbit mentioned on C-Span: More petroleum is spilled on the ground in US auto/truck accidents every year than all the petroleum spilled by pipeline leaks.
That's kind of the plan.

The more oil we spill on the ground, the less gets burned, and so the less global warming there will be. Finding better ways to move oil around is bad. BAD!

might as well keep that new $10 Billion dollar Saudi refinery in Texas City running WFO and pad their bank account with American $$ so we can bitch about Saudi Oil and be free of it ..

yeah, riiiiiiiiiiiight.

BTW An interesting tidbit mentioned on C-Span: More petroleum is spilled on the ground in US auto/truck accidents every year than all the petroleum spilled by pipeline leaks.
That's kind of the plan.

The more oil we spill on the ground, the less gets burned, and so the less global warming there will be. Finding better ways to move oil around is bad. BAD!

Some of us are common sense kind of people. We don't put the cart before the horse. The left thinks we can abandon petroleum. That's just crazy talk. Replace it with what? Will windmills and solar panels and rainbows and unicorns replace petrochemicals? Useful idiots.

That narrative has been proven false long ago,more than one product will be run threw the line,stop with the BS already. pipelines are by far the most economical and safe way to move product.

pipelines as a whole are safe . Keystone has the worst safety record of any of the pipelines in this country. Oil won't be going anywhere in our lifetime. Pardon me if I prefer to burn OUR oil from our oil fields, which have attributed to record reserves without the help of Keystone/Canadian oil.

Forum List

Back