The Woman Who Said “No” To McCarthy

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Margaret Chase Smith had served just a year in the Senate, yet many in Washington considered her a likely vice-presidential candidate on the GOP ticket in 1952. “The American people are sick and tired of seeing innocent people smeared,” Mrs. Smith told her fellow Senators. But “in those days,” she recalled, “freshmen senators were to be seen and not heard, like good children.”

When Joseph McCarthy produced a list of 205 Communists in government, Smith trusted him. “It looked as though Joe was onto something disturbing and frightening,” she said. But then she studied the documents McCarthy offered as evidence. She saw no evidence.

At first, she wavered. “I am not a lawyer,” she thought. “After all, Joe was a lawyer and any lawyer Senator will tell you that lawyer Senators are superior to non-lawyer Senators.” Surely, she hoped, “one of the Democrats would take the Senate floor.” But when no challenge came, “it became evident that Joe had the Senate paralyzed with fear.”

The Woman Who Said “No” To McCarthy | AMERICAN HERITAGE

This is an interesting article. I didn't know who she was.

Margaret Chase Smith had served just a year in the Senate, yet many in Washington considered her a likely vice-presidential candidate on the GOP ticket in 1952. “The American people are sick and tired of seeing innocent people smeared,” Mrs. Smith told her fellow Senators. But “in those days,” she recalled, “freshmen senators were to be seen and not heard, like good children.”

When Joseph McCarthy produced a list of 205 Communists in government, Smith trusted him. “It looked as though Joe was onto something disturbing and frightening,” she said. But then she studied the documents McCarthy offered as evidence. She saw no evidence.

At first, she wavered. “I am not a lawyer,” she thought. “After all, Joe was a lawyer and any lawyer Senator will tell you that lawyer Senators are superior to non-lawyer Senators.” Surely, she hoped, “one of the Democrats would take the Senate floor.” But when no challenge came, “it became evident that Joe had the Senate paralyzed with fear.”

Long distinguished career back when most Republicans were sane, McCarthy not included.

Long distinguished career back when most Republicans were sane, McCarthy not included.
McCarthy was right.
Case closed: The Rosenbergs were Soviet spies
Joseph McCarthy and the Venona DOCUMENTS - COLLECTION : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
Collection of Joseph McCarthy archives as well as the Venona documents which later proved his claims to be valid.

They weren't innocent. They were all guilty as hell.

McCarthy was right.
Joseph McCarthy and the Venona DOCUMENTS - COLLECTION : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
Collection of Joseph McCarthy archives as well as the Venona documents which later proved his claims to be valid.
They did not deserve to be executed

They weren't innocent. They were all guilty as hell.
McCarthy did not prosecute the Rosenbergs

great free world hero McCarthy Knew how to treat the dirty commie

unfortunate he was pretty along against Marxist - Stalinist hordes of USA´s elites

McCarthy was right.
They did not deserve to be executed
no, they deserve to be executed at least 20 times
what ´d koba to do to them ?

That's a Mainer for ya.

She is a very big deal in Maine, still, promoting independent nonpartisan thought and education about government, especially among the young.

It seems that Chase Smith couldn't decide which side of the anti-communist issue she wanted to be on so she decided to attack the weaker opponent in her own party rather than the majority Truman administration. In later years she was apparently in favor of nuking Russia during the JFK administration. Her terms in Congress and the Senate were unremarkable except for the fact that she set some longevity records as a woman.

Forum List

Back