The wife and I are thinking about a Caribbean cruise

miketx

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2015
I won't be for at least a year, but I'd love to do it and so would she. We'd like to travel on a large sailing ship, but from what I have found out, that may be impractical for us. Most of those cruises are very expensive and usually you have to fly in and out to get to the cruise adding to the cost. I don't want to go on one of those floating cities but we will if that's all we can get. We can spend 8 to 10K and would love to get close in to some of the deserted islands and take tons of pictures and also see some of the local customs and natural sights.
Any suggestions?

Prefer this:

star-flyer_home.jpg

But I guess this would do:

RCI_AerialCocoCay147R.jpg

Look at the various Stephen Ambrose tours.

My boys and I are going in a year or two on a WWII Islands campaign tour they set up specially if enough people sign up.

Also a guy who is going on a Caribbean Tour next month was telling me at the barber shop yesterday about a very reasonably priced tour to the Hawaiian Islands by ship from Long Beach, CA. I have not researched that.

I won't be for at least a year, but I'd love to do it and so would she. We'd like to travel on a large sailing ship, but from what I have found out, that may be impractical for us. Most of those cruises are very expensive and usually you have to fly in and out to get to the cruise adding to the cost. I don't want to go on one of those floating cities but we will if that's all we can get. We can spend 8 to 10K and would love to get close in to some of the deserted islands and take tons of pictures and also see some of the local customs and natural sights.
Any suggestions?

Prefer this:

star-flyer_home.jpg

How far do you live from a cruise ship terminal?

• Banned
Any suggestions?

Prefer this:

star-flyer_home.jpg

We live about 350 miles from the closest one, so we could drive, but it's a "floating hotel" kind of ship.

I've never done a cruise before, but I don't think they're all that expensive anymore. I think you can buy stripped down cruises where you pay money for the cruise but nothing else. You pay for whatever you want on the ship. They used to be all inclusive, but no more.

• Banned
I've never done a cruise before, but I don't think they're all that expensive anymore. I think you can buy stripped down cruises where you pay money for the cruise but nothing else. You pay for whatever you want on the ship. They used to be all inclusive, but no more.
The cheapest one I found that would facilitate photography was around 1100 per person for a room with a balcony and meals included. That does not include anything you do off ship.

The cheapest one I found that would facilitate photography was around 1100 per person for a room with a balcony and meals included. That does not include anything you do off ship.

That surprises me a bit. I'm pretty sure I've had friends who've gone on cruises for $400-$500. But I don't know for how long. And it may have been in low season. There are, or used to be, fairly inexpensive cruises out of Jacksonville.

Do you have an idea where you want to go?

If you must go on a cruise be very careful, there is a motto that says "Those who Cruise Together Get Sick Together" - , in the one and only cruise I took in my life, the gastro I got was just horrible. Never again!

The sicknesses that people get on cruises are legendary!

Too many people, too crowded....it's not like it used to be, sadly.

There are some people who just love cruises, though. My father was a travel agent, and there were people who would book a cruise every year, year after year.

I know.
But that was in the past, in the era of the Ocean Liners, you know total luxury and very elegant and selective.

Now is a different story.:dunno:

That surprises me a bit. I'm pretty sure I've had friends who've gone on cruises for $400-$500. But I don't know for how long. And it may have been in low season. There are, or used to be, fairly inexpensive cruises out of Jacksonville.

Do you have an idea where you want to go?
Their were several advertised for that but once I picked a cabin with a balcony it jumps up in price, plus we want to stay out for about a week. As far as where, I haven't really decided yet, although it will be in the Caribbean. I don't really want to go to Mexico what with all the politics, but we may choose a package that includes Cozumel or some stop like that. Rally I like to see some islands to be able to get a whole lot of nice pictures and videos. Thelast one I checked out:

cruise 2.png

When you bump up the room to include a balcony it goes up, but to take pictures from there, I like it

cruise 3.png

Then by the time they put the taxes and stuff it's around 1100.

Any suggestions?

Prefer this:

star-flyer_home.jpg

We live about 350 miles from the closest one, so we could drive, but it's a "floating hotel" kind of ship.
I've ridden ships in typhoons and it's no fun. A cruise ship has stability systems that keep the ship from pitching and rolling and sometimes you think the ship isn't moving. You could almost play billiards on it.
My wife and I use a tour service called Christian Tours who have bus, train and ship tours and go all over the world. We've used that tour group for about 15 years and have gone on 6 cruises, 7 bus tours and in 2018 we're taking a train tour thruAlaska and Canada. Here is an example using the Christian Tours website. There are many good deals.

Christian Tours - Bus tours, Adventure tours, International tours, Christian travel - Newton, North Carolina

If you must go on a cruise be very careful, there is a motto that says "Those who Cruise Together Get Sick Together" - , in the one and only cruise I took in my life, the gastro I got was just horrible. Never again!

The sicknesses that people get on cruises are legendary!

Too many people, too crowded....it's not like it used to be, sadly.
The sailboat sounds better and better.

Jamaica has a high crime rate. Keep that in mind. Have you been doing your research on the islands?

Any suggestions?

Prefer this:

star-flyer_home.jpg

I've ridden ships in typhoons and it's no fun. A cruise ship has stability systems that keep the ship from pitching and rolling and sometimes you think the ship isn't moving. You could almost play billiards on it.
My wife and I use a tour service called Christian Tours who have bus, train and ship tours and go all over the world. We've used that tour group for about 15 years and have gone on 6 cruises, 7 bus tours and in 2018 we're taking a train tour thruAlaska and Canada. Here is an example using the Christian Tours website. There are many good deals.

Christian Tours - Bus tours, Adventure tours, International tours, Christian travel - Newton, North Carolina

Thanks, look at this crap!

Been on three, always had a balcony.....very relaxing. .......Wife goes for the duty free jewelry. Got the early teen daughters their own room across the hall. Nobody ever got sick.

New Topics

Forum List

Back