"The Wheel of Time" - Here we go again

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I've started watching an Amazon Prime series called, "The Wheel of Time." The title is a reference to the phenomenon of reincarnation, and the main story line is of some dead evil character who has been re-born, and the protagonist is trying to locate the bastard, twenty years after his death, when he or she would have "come of age." The goal, I gather, is to prevent him/her from destroying the world. And of course it's a fantasy world, unrelated to earth, but ironically this fantasy world has a cornucopia of races and ethnicities inhabiting it, such as would make any American DEI executive proud.

It is billed as an "American" production, filmed in Prague, Spain, the Canary Islands and a few other tasty and picturesque venues. It is visually spectacular.

And my question, as always is, why does everyone speak English with an English accent? For example, the word, "Dad" is pronounced "dud," and the word, "shit" is rendered as "shite" something no American would say.

And even if these are English actors, why? Not enough Americans who can act? It's certainly not because these women are pretty; they are decidedly not. Why the English flavor in an America production? I don't get it.

Those who've read the books also realize that NONE of the characters are true to the descriptions in he books. The closest is Rand al Thor and even his appearance is a bit off. They've also taken GREAT liberties with the storyline, as well.

Ever since the beginning of movies, it has been decided that if you want to make people sound exotic (and still be English speakers) you had to give them accents.

The go-to accent for ancient, fantasy cultures has always been the "English" accent (despite the fact there are over 100 distinct English accents.

Ancient Romans, Egyptians, Hobbits, and Martians have always had English accents because making them sound like Jethro Bodine wouldn't convince Americans they are from somewhere else.

Specifically, it turns out that the studio soundstages for this production are in Prague, as well as lots of the location shootings. I'm guessing it's cheaper to find Europeans in Europe than Americans.

I've started watching an Amazon Prime series called, "The Wheel of Time." The title is a reference to the phenomenon of reincarnation, and the main story line is of some dead evil character who has been re-born, and the protagonist is trying to locate the bastard, twenty years after his death, when he or she would have "come of age." The goal, I gather, is to prevent him/her from destroying the world. And of course it's a fantasy world, unrelated to earth, but ironically this fantasy world has a cornucopia of races and ethnicities inhabiting it, such as would make any American DEI executive proud.

It is billed as an "American" production, filmed in Prague, Spain, the Canary Islands and a few other tasty and picturesque venues. It is visually spectacular.

And my question, as always is, why does everyone speak English with an English accent? For example, the word, "Dad" is pronounced "dud," and the word, "shit" is rendered as "shite" something no American would say.

And even if these are English actors, why? Not enough Americans who can act? It's certainly not because these women are pretty; they are decidedly not. Why the English flavor in an America production? I don't get it.
I guess Rick from The Walking Dead was not available. :cool:

Lol, I say shite all the time. I am hoping that if there is a kid around they won't catch my cuss word.

Those who've read the books also realize that NONE of the characters are true to the descriptions in he books. The closest is Rand al Thor and even his appearance is a bit off. They've also taken GREAT liberties with the storyline, as well.

The television show version should be renamed The Woke of Time.

And even if these are English actors, why? Not enough Americans who can act? It's certainly not because these women are pretty; they are decidedly not. Why the English flavor in an America production? I don't get it
I love the book series and while the show is pretty much trash, it's the best thing we'll ever get. I'm surprised it ever happened. I like to think of it as a story about a different turning of the wheel than the one described in the book series. That makes it more enjoyable.

I tried to watch it...but I found it quite boring and turned it off before the end of epi 1 season 1.

Forum List

Back