The Week: America's Constitution is terrible. Let's throw it out and start over

No. Our Founding Fathers did an Most Excellent job at the convention with our federal Constitution and supreme law of the land. There is no Thing ambiguous about it.

Thankfully they only had thirteen colonies with which to contend. The news cycle's slowness also, I'm sure, gave them ample time to rationally debate the topics and come to a decisive solution. It was helpful that Enlightenment Philosophers had been discussing the topics in France and England for nearly a century before then, too. The Founding Fathers had a confidence that there were logical solutions to forming a Constitution.

The States only lose powers only when the Constitution says it does.
So you DO believe that only the Fed was forbidden to beat a confession out of a suspect, but the framers wanted states and local governments to be able to do it all they wanted.

And that while the Fed had to get a warrant for a search, states that didn't have to pay attention to that nonsense and could break down your door at any time for any reason it wanted too with no accountability, was exactly what James Madison had in mind and approved.

And that while the Fed had to tell you what you were charged with and give you a speedy trial, James Wilson was perfectly OK with state govts clapping you in irons and throwing you into a dungeon for a couple of years, without telling you why, while they "worked on the paperwork"?

And if the Framers believed anywhere near what you are trying to fool people into thinking they believed, they never would have written "CONGRESS shall make no law...." about the things covered by the 1st amendment. Because, as you try to pretend, they intended that same thing for all the other amendments... amendments where they as carefully left that phrase out. Your zany wet-dream "constitution" is so full of gaping holes that it could have been written by, well, modern liberals.

Listen to yourself. Do you even start to realize the insane conclusions your neat theories must lead to in the real world the Framers really intended for this Constitution and BOR to govern? You are accusing them of being completely out of their minds. Out of their depth, as it were.

Someone's certainly out of his depth here. But it isn't me. And it certainly wasn't the Framers.

In fact, the BOR was a list of restrictions on government, written to be enforced upon ALL the states and local governments, in addition to the Fed, except where it specifically said otherwise. Any other interpretation leads directly to insanity, dictatorship, and all the horrors of government they wrote the Constitution to prevent.

And which you seem quite willing to impose upon all of us with your ludicrous "interpretations".

And in all that you failed to show me the passage in the constitution that *expressly* applies the Bill of Rights to the States.

You're not citing the constitution. You're citing your the silly fantasy of your imagination. And no, Acorn......your imagination doesn't overrule a Supreme Court ruling. Barron V. Baltimore answered this question nearly 2 centuries ago.

The Bill of Rights didn't apply to the States until well after the 14th amendment was passed. You simply don't know what you're talking about. And your silly fantasy that your imagination somehow changes history is meaningless.

No. Our Founding Fathers did an Most Excellent job at the convention with our federal Constitution and supreme law of the land. There is no Thing ambiguous about it.

They did as good a job as they could at the time. But the circumstances allowed the passage of only a deeply flawed document that took more than a dozen decades to work the most egregious mistakes out of.

i'm fine with abolishing the constitution, but only if I get to be king!

Yeah, we need to address illegal aliens or the wacko gun people factor. I am good with amending the Constitution, for the better. But The NRA or the weirdo unorganized Pro illegal alien Hispanic groups want to twist this into rights and stuff. Yeah.

The thing about our constitution is it was written by men that were willing lose everything and die to form this country. You would have a hard time finding a group willing to give up everything nowadays. And not only were they willing to risk everything, they were some of the most intelligent men that ever lived. Take a close look at the document they created, most people haven’t read it lately, I don’t think it could be improved on. They included an amendment process to change it when needed. Amazing document.

The only thing wrong with our Constitution is that the Bill of Rights is not strong enough to protect individual Liberties from the tyranny of the majority.

We need stronger protection from the government taking our freedom and money.

The Constitution needs to limit government a lot more than it is now. No more of the 51% using the government to steal from the 49%.

The thing about our constitution is it was written by men that were willing lose everything and die to form this country. You would have a hard time finding a group willing to give up everything nowadays.

Nope, you wouldn't . They are the men and women of our US armed forces.

I can just imagine....
2018-constitutional-convention.jpg

Greatest document written by man. And yes, there are some who would shit-can it tomorrow, if they could.
Including our president.
My guess is that he doesn't know enough about it to really have an opinion. He has people around him to say "well, no, we can't do that, sir", not unlike the training bumpers at a bowling alley.

Forum List

Back