The War on Public Schools Continues, Only Now It’s Considered Reinvention’

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
JJ: Well, Cuomo’s office backpedaled a bit. An aide tweeted, “Teachers are heroes & nothing could ever replace in-person learning.” Meanwhile, they added Eric Schmidt, the [former] head of Google, to the team, whose lead player is Bill Gates. The people now pushing to “Reimagine Education” in the midst of the pandemic, these are the same people—and reflect the worldview—that, for some 20 years now, has been calling itself education reform. And media, too, call people like Bill Gates “reformers.” You have a different name. Tell us about that.

DR: In my book, Slaying Goliath, I refer to Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg, and all these tech titans, and Wall Street and on and on, as disruptors. They have lots of ideas about how to reinvent and reimagine American education. It always involves privatization. It always attacks public control, and democratic control, of schools. And it very frequently involves technology, because what they’re interested in is cutting the cost of education, and the most expensive aspect of public education is teachers.

And buildings. At issue is that there are a lot of kids that don't do well with online only education. So, when I hear this shit what it sounds like a whole lot of out of sight out of mind crap. I hate neoliberals.

They don't get to pick and choose. They take everyone.

Thats part of the problem. But I think this flight from public schools by normal Americans has been counterproductive. We all have to live with their product. We should demand the Department of Education be disbanded and return schools to the locals. That is the only fix. Another example of the failure that must always come when you let the federal government into what should be local institutions. Its been a disaster.

Thats part of the problem. But I think this flight from public schools by normal Americans has been counterproductive. We all have to live with their product. We should demand the Department of Education be disbanded and return schools to the locals. That is the only fix. Another example of the failure that must always come when you let the federal government into what should be local institutions. Its been a disaster.

Name a current federal policy that has a negative impact on local schools. Nevermind! You cannot possible do that!

States and local communities already control their schools. That is why most public schools in the US do an excellent job, and the liberal dominated inner city schools suck!

1590965359717.png

A teacher shouldn't have to have a bachelors, masters, or doctorate, to teach. If they were a high rated student when leaving high school they are more than capable of stepping into a teaching job for the things they did well at. In which case the cost of education would drop dramatically.

Demanding such only means that we're going back to the feudal cast system.

*****SMILE*****

:)

View attachment 343579

A teacher shouldn't have to have a bachelors, masters, or doctorate, to teach. If they were a high rated student when leaving high school they are more than capable of stepping into a teaching job for the things they did well at. In which case the cost of education would drop dramatically.

*****SMILE*****

You gotta grease them palms...people gotta get paid. You can't just let kids go teach? Are you crazy? We have a system to support.

View attachment 343579

*****SMILE*****

You gotta grease them palms...people gotta get paid. You can't just let kids go teach? Are you crazy? We have a system to support.

1590966360279.png

That's the problem.

*****SMILE*****

The push since Reagan has been to privatize the education system.

What I dislike is the most is the level of BS that they insist on vomiting to do what they have been planning to do since Reagan.

View attachment 343579

*****SMILE*****

Ah, so are you telling me that your vision of teachers is the same as McDonalds?

JJ: Well, Cuomo’s office backpedaled a bit. An aide tweeted, “Teachers are heroes & nothing could ever replace in-person learning.” Meanwhile, they added Eric Schmidt, the [former] head of Google, to the team, whose lead player is Bill Gates. The people now pushing to “Reimagine Education” in the midst of the pandemic, these are the same people—and reflect the worldview—that, for some 20 years now, has been calling itself education reform. And media, too, call people like Bill Gates “reformers.” You have a different name. Tell us about that.

DR: In my book, Slaying Goliath, I refer to Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg, and all these tech titans, and Wall Street and on and on, as disruptors. They have lots of ideas about how to reinvent and reimagine American education. It always involves privatization. It always attacks public control, and democratic control, of schools. And it very frequently involves technology, because what they’re interested in is cutting the cost of education, and the most expensive aspect of public education is teachers.

And buildings. At issue is that there are a lot of kids that don't do well with online only education. So, when I hear this shit what it sounds like a whole lot of out of sight out of mind crap. I hate neoliberals.

Sounds like you are firmly against home schooling. I'm glad to hear that.

Why is the ultimate goal ALWAYS to have people make less? Whether it's a teacher, janitor, garbage collector, store worker, auto worker, the list goes on. It seems there is an effort to see labor make less too. Where does this warped regressive plan come from?

View attachment 343579

*****SMILE*****

Ah, so are you telling me that your vision of teachers is the same as McDonalds?

1590967085494.png

While the current vision, which you must share, is that the ones most qualified to hold those teaching jobs have to be connected to someone like; bankers wife, lawyers wife, doctors wife, WalMart manager wife, etc, etc, because they are obviously the most qualified because they're special therefore they deserve more and more..... While others who don't have those connections might be allowed to substitute teach even though they might be more qualified.

Time to break the nepotistic cast system even if that means lowering the bar and wage/benefits to do it. Especially when home schoolers score higher on ACT's and SAT's than those that attend public or private schools.

*****SMILE*****

Attachments

• 1590966892239.png
    1590966892239.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 82

View attachment 343579

*****SMILE*****

1590968474151.png

BTW: I had 90 credits in electronics and teaching (approximately 45 credits towards each) transfer into a major university when I started. Then I was told that none of those credits counted towards getting me out of any classes in the College Of Liberal Arts (I was studying Physics) or the College Of Education (I was studying Secondary Education) at either of those branches of the campus.

So yeah an entrenched cast system with nepotism built in.

I now hold over 200 worthless credits because I realized that even if I did graduate I would be better off doing construction and farming because I didn't have those kind of...... connections.

*****SMILE*****

View attachment 343579

*****SMILE*****

View attachment 343593

While the current vision, which you must share, is that the ones most qualified to hold those teaching jobs have to be connected to someone like; bankers wife, lawyers wife, doctors wife, WalMart manager wife, etc, etc, because they are obviously the most qualified because they're special therefore they deserve more and more..... While others who don't have those connections might be allowed to substitute teach even though they might be more qualified.

Time to break the nepotistic cast system even if that means lowering the bar and wage/benefits to do it.

*****SMILE*****

Nope. For secondary education, I was working the political science program and the education program (2 different departments) AND state certification. Praxis testing as well.

The state that I am currently living in doesn't have a requirement for "teacher's aide" and special education has already been McDonalized and most of those (para) do not have a degree. Of course, they are more likely to get the bejeezes kicked out of them as well.

.....Of course, they are more likely to get the bejeezes kicked out of them as well.

View attachment 343610

So the school looks the other way when those "special" jocks decide to have their fun and be brutal because they're someone "special"?

Is that what you're saying here?

*****SMILE*****

They looked the other way when they refused to hire people that were qualified like..........special education teachers. Amazingly similar to how people look the other way with charter schools and real estate fraud.

.....Of course, they are more likely to get the bejeezes kicked out of them as well.

View attachment 343610

So the school looks the other way when those "special" jocks decide to have their fun and be brutal because they're someone "special"?

Is that what you're saying here?

*****SMILE*****

They looked the other way when they refused to hire people that were qualified like..........special education teachers. Amazingly similar to how people look the other way with charter schools and real estate fraud.

1590969959978.png

As I stated a entrenched cast system being perpetuated by nepotism.

*****SMILE*****

Forum List

Back