The Victim Card Played by So Many Atheists

IndependntLogic

Jul 14, 2011
So in another thread, some of the atheists were going batsh1t about how they are poor, oppressed victims, simply because faith exist in America. Obviously, not all atheists are such whackjobs but a couple started making bullsh1t claims, so I challenged them on their bs.

Here were the claims that were made are happening right now in this moment:

1. God / Faith whatever has invaded this poor victim's home, personal life etc...
(when asked how, the poster said that he had to walk by people holding religious signs on his way into a baseball game! Wow! Not exactly an "invasion" LOL)
2. God / Faith is currently invading his public schools. (Again I asked how. The response? A GOP candidate who hasn't even gotten the bid, won't be able to introduce legislation if elected, once said he would like to see creationism taught in schools.)
3. God / Faith is invading science. He didn't even have something he could claim might maybe someday could be.... for this one.
4. God / Faith has invaded his life through Federal Policy. Was he able to name a single policy in place that effects his life? Take a guess. Zero.

What prompted all the ridiculous claims by the two whackjobs in question, was I asked "Why do you care what I believe? So the point of my response in that thread and my view remains, I don't care what atheists believe. It's not my business. Why are they so emotionally charged about what I believe?
And even though 86% of the world believes in a Supreme Being (more than the number who believe in Global Warming), I'm not going to insult atheists, say they are stupid, self-deluded etc... simply because they disbelieve what is obvious to the majority of the world. I'm not going to show prejudice by judging people based on religion. Even though that is exactly what many atheists do.

So atheists can start all the flame threads they want. They can play victim all day. I'm not buying it.

I was with you until you brought up the fact that the majority of the world's population believes in a supreme being. While that may be true, popular opinion alone does not hold water when it comes to determining the truth of a claim. It doesn't matter how many people believe or don't believe in germ theory for instance, because all the evidence supports the theory. Also, the 86% of the world you have cited believe in a multitude of different supreme beings with different characteristics and different opinions of how humans should live their lives. What is obvious to one believer in a supreme being is apparently no so obvious to another believer who puts his or her faith in another supreme being (or beings). You'd think if there was one true God, he would be able to do a much more effective job of communicating His desires with the totality of His creation, which makes me think that religion is more of a by-product of culture and mythology than a pathway to some great, universal truth of the universe.

I think that most atheists do not care what you choose to believe, but if you bring up your beliefs you shouldn't expect us not to question them. Just as you have every right to do the same to us. I think people on both sides of the spectrum play the victim card at times, but I don't think it's quite as prevalent as you might think it is. The most vociferous people on either side are heard the most, and sometimes give the collective a bad name. However, I have seen my position as an atheist on the God question misrepresented by so many people that I can understand where the backlash is coming from. It's very irritating to see people dictating to atheists what the atheist believes instead of simply inquiring and listening. We don't have to have mutual respect for each other's beliefs, but we do need to understand what our opponents believe and we do need to have mutual respect for each other. As soon as that respect is compromised, then all bets for a civil debate are off.

I was with you until you brought up the fact that the majority of the world's population believes in a supreme being. While that may be true, popular opinion alone does not hold water when it comes to determining the truth of a claim. It doesn't matter how many people believe or don't believe in germ theory for instance, because all the evidence supports the theory. Also, the 86% of the world you have cited believe in a multitude of different supreme beings with different characteristics and different opinions of how humans should live their lives. What is obvious to one believer in a supreme being is apparently no so obvious to another believer who puts his or her faith in another supreme being (or beings). You'd think if there was one true God, he would be able to do a much more effective job of communicating His desires with the totality of His creation, which makes me think that religion is more of a by-product of culture and mythology than a pathway to some great, universal truth of the universe.

I think that most atheists do not care what you choose to believe, but if you bring up your beliefs you shouldn't expect us not to question them. Just as you have every right to do the same to us. I think people on both sides of the spectrum play the victim card at times, but I don't think it's quite as prevalent as you might think it is. The most vociferous people on either side are heard the most, and sometimes give the collective a bad name. However, I have seen my position as an atheist on the God question misrepresented by so many people that I can understand where the backlash is coming from. It's very irritating to see people dictating to atheists what the atheist believes instead of simply inquiring and listening. We don't have to have mutual respect for each other's beliefs, but we do need to understand what our opponents believe and we do need to have mutual respect for each other. As soon as that respect is compromised, then all bets for a civil debate are off.

Hmm double standard,evolutionist believe majority rules when it comes to their theory.

Scientific consensus through rigorous study and the peer review process is slightly different than the belief of a popular majority, but you are free to embrace whatever conspiracy theories you like. There are people out there who still believe the earth is flat as well:

The Flat Earth Society

It is a grave mistake to allow the system, the society, to be directed
by whomsoever claims to be offended.

Free speech is paramount.

If you tried to teach me and my older brother the exact same thing, in the exact same way, you would have wildly varied results. Also, the biggest downside to organized religions is that instead of focusing on the message of love, tolerance, forgiveness etc..., they usually miss the message and worship the messenger. Thus creating hatred, intolerance, judgmentalism etc... instead. Oh well.

I think that most atheists do not care what you choose to believe, but if you bring up your beliefs you shouldn't expect us not to question them.

An atheist started the thread I referenced. Obviously, he and his fellow victims care very much about the beliefs of others. I simply responded "Why do you even care what I believe?" and thus the Victim Card was played. The biggest similarity I see in threads of hate or negativity when it comes to religion are Atheists talking about Christians and Christians talking about Muslims. Atheists and Christians areextremely similar in that regard.

Just as you have every right to do the same to us. I think people on both sides of the spectrum play the victim card at times, but I don't think it's quite as prevalent as you might think it is. The most vociferous people on either side are heard the most, and sometimes give the collective a bad name. However, I have seen my position as an atheist on the God question misrepresented by so many people that I can understand where the backlash is coming from. It's very irritating to see people dictating to atheists what the atheist believes instead of simply inquiring and listening.

If there is one thing that Atheists love to do, it's to tell people of faith what they believe. For example, almost no one takes the entire Bible literally. The majority of Christians don't take even most of the Bible literally. It is obviously interpreted. But there are a least a half dozen threads on this board right now in which atheists are telling Christians what they believe. So you're kind of hitting a kettle vs. pot thing there. I haven't seen a post where a Christian told an Ahteist "No! What you believe is X" but I may have missed it. At minimum, it is ten times more prevailent among atheists.

We don't have to have mutual respect for each other's beliefs, but we do need to understand what our opponents believe and we do need to have mutual respect for each other. As soon as that respect is compromised, then all bets for a civil debate are off.

Again, I don't see Christians calling Atheists "Self-deluded, ignorant, fairy-tale believing, cave-man, stone-age dog molesters!" simply because they are atheists. But the atheists here sling all those insults (well, maybe not the dog-molester thing) every day, in threads they start just to show disrespect for those of faith.
So you're right. If atheist could be a bit more respectful, intelligent and insightful in their posts, they would be much more interesting to engage.

If you tried to teach me and my older brother the exact same thing, in the exact same way, you would have wildly varied results. Also, the biggest downside to organized religions is that instead of focusing on the message of love, tolerance, forgiveness etc..., they usually miss the message and worship the messenger. Thus creating hatred, intolerance, judgmentalism etc... instead. Oh well.

I think that most atheists do not care what you choose to believe, but if you bring up your beliefs you shouldn't expect us not to question them.

An atheist started the thread I referenced. Obviously, he and his fellow victims care very much about the beliefs of others. I simply responded "Why do you even care what I believe?" and thus the Victim Card was played. The biggest similarity I see in threads of hate or negativity when it comes to religion are Atheists talking about Christians and Christians talking about Muslims. Atheists and Christians areextremely similar in that regard.

Just as you have every right to do the same to us. I think people on both sides of the spectrum play the victim card at times, but I don't think it's quite as prevalent as you might think it is. The most vociferous people on either side are heard the most, and sometimes give the collective a bad name. However, I have seen my position as an atheist on the God question misrepresented by so many people that I can understand where the backlash is coming from. It's very irritating to see people dictating to atheists what the atheist believes instead of simply inquiring and listening.

If there is one thing that Atheists love to do, it's to tell people of faith what they believe. For example, almost no one takes the entire Bible literally. The majority of Christians don't take even most of the Bible literally. It is obviously interpreted. But there are a least a half dozen threads on this board right now in which atheists are telling Christians what they believe. So you're kind of hitting a kettle vs. pot thing there. I haven't seen a post where a Christian told an Ahteist "No! What you believe is X" but I may have missed it. At minimum, it is ten times more prevailent among atheists.

We don't have to have mutual respect for each other's beliefs, but we do need to understand what our opponents believe and we do need to have mutual respect for each other. As soon as that respect is compromised, then all bets for a civil debate are off.

Again, I don't see Christians calling Atheists "Self-deluded, ignorant, fairy-tale believing, cave-man, stone-age dog molesters!" simply because they are atheists. But the atheists here sling all those insults (well, maybe not the dog-molester thing) every day, in threads they start just to show disrespect for those of faith.
So you're right. If atheist could be a bit more respectful, intelligent and insightful in their posts, they would be much more interesting to engage.

I haven't been on this board for very long, but from what I've been able to gather there are jackasses on either side of the debate, and the distribution seems to be fairly equal. I've heard people of faith say over and over again that atheists believe in nothing, that life has no meaning for atheists, that atheists are immoral, that atheists believe we came from nothing, etc. Religious folks also constantly tell atheists that they will burn in hell for all eternity just because they have the wrong answer to the God claim. If I'm debating with someone who thinks that not only am I going to face eternal torture after death, but that I also deserve said punishment (aka they agree with God's decision to punish me eternally), then how can I be expected to be respectful of this person's belief, let alone at all.

I find that you have generally been more respectful than most theists I've come across, and I hope I have had the same impression on you when it comes to atheists. I appreciate the conversation.

No, Christians prefer calling Atheists, amoral, immoral, incapable of morality, etc., simply because they don't believe in a God who punishes the immoral for all eternity. Christians tend to reap the respect they sow.

1. God / Faith whatever has invaded this poor victim's home, personal life etc...
(when asked how, the poster said that he had to walk by people holding religious signs on his way into a baseball game! Wow! Not exactly an "invasion" LOL)
It’s not an invasion at all.

2. God / Faith is currently invading his public schools. (Again I asked how. The response? A GOP candidate who hasn't even gotten the bid, won't be able to introduce legislation if elected, once said he would like to see creationism taught in schools.)

This would seem a legitimate concern from a legal standpoint, as teaching creationism in public schools is un-Constitutional. See: Edwards v. Aguillard (1987).

3. God / Faith is invading science. He didn't even have something he could claim might maybe someday could be.... for this one.

Then why even mention it?

4. God / Faith has invaded his life through Federal Policy. Was he able to name a single policy in place that effects his life? Take a guess. Zero.

One would hope so, as such a policy would be in violation of the Establishment Clause.

What prompted all the ridiculous claims by the two whackjobs in question, was I asked "Why do you care what I believe? So the point of my response in that thread and my view remains, I don't care what atheists believe. It's not my business. Why are they so emotionally charged about what I believe?
And even though 86% of the world believes in a Supreme Being (more than the number who believe in Global Warming), I'm not going to insult atheists, say they are stupid, self-deluded etc... simply because they disbelieve what is obvious to the majority of the world. I'm not going to show prejudice by judging people based on religion. Even though that is exactly what many atheists do.

And that a majority might believe in a deity is in no way ‘proof’ one exists, nor is it ‘obvious.’

I haven't been on this board for very long, but from what I've been able to gather there are jackasses on either side of the debate, and the distribution seems to be fairly equal. I've heard people of faith say over and over again that atheists believe in nothing, that life has no meaning for atheists, that atheists are immoral, that atheists believe we came from nothing, etc. Religious folks also constantly tell atheists that they will burn in hell for all eternity just because they have the wrong answer to the God claim. If I'm debating with someone who thinks that not only am I going to face eternal torture after death, but that I also deserve said punishment (aka they agree with God's decision to punish me eternally), then how can I be expected to be respectful of this person's belief, let alone at all.

I find that you have generally been more respectful than most theists I've come across, and I hope I have had the same impression on you when it comes to atheists. I appreciate the conversation.

Thank you. I suppose if I had emphasized the parts in the OP that read I was only referring to "A couple of atheists" and that "Most atheists are not such whackjobs", it might have been better received.
Every group has their whackjobs. I was just making an observation on something I'd never before seen from atheists until joining this board. Cheers!

Saying their beliefs are better then others, Atheism is just like any other religion.

So in another thread, some of the atheists were going batsh1t about how they are poor, oppressed victims, simply because faith exist in America.

Was this thread deleted from the board?

So atheists can start all the flame threads they want. They can play victim all day. I'm not buying it.

Why are you starting a whole new thread just to whine about things other posters told you on another thread? You can't go to that thread and bitch about it? You're a whiny little annoying twat.

Last edited:
So in another thread, some of the atheists were going batsh1t about how they are poor, oppressed victims, simply because faith exist in America. Obviously, not all atheists are such whackjobs but a couple started making bullsh1t claims, so I challenged them on their bs.

1. That guy simply gets offended by other's rights. Ignore his whining.
2. The youth in our public schools are very very easily influenced. It should be their parent's decision on whether they enroll into a religious school or not. Otherwise, public schools should be kept as a neutral zone. But teaching children to make their own choices and be proud of who they are isn't a bad thing either.
3. Is it really? Oh well. As long as scientists still do their job, I don't care.
4. uhh...yeah.... no comment.

People are entitled to their rights, and thats cool. But don't infringe on my rights or throw a fit when I excersize my rights!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHpiXmPWPwk]Neighbourhood comes together and kicks out religious haters. - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8spCOEePSo&feature=related]Dr. Marcus Bachmann's anti-gay rant - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3NBYcjDlCU&feature=related]Anti-Gay Protest at San Diego High School: Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCfb3hmtW5g&feature=related]Gays confront Anti Gay Bigots @ Prop 8 Protest Chicago IL - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hI1mO2eeTY&feature=related]anti gay church harrasing family - YouTube[/ame]

So 2 people=so many atheists.

I think it's time for a return to kindergarten math.

Victim card?

I don't see Atheists whining because they can't force their beliefs on other people
I don't see Atheists complaining because they can't put "god does not exist" signs on public property
I don't see Atheists complaining because public meetings, sporting events and graduations do not begin with a statement on the non existence of god

Saying their beliefs are better then others, Atheism is just like any other religion.

Atheism is religion just as much as not collecting coins is a hobby.
Atheism is not a religion because there is no dogma you have to learn to be an atheist.
Atheist refuses to believe extraordinary claims about the supernatural/spiritual world without evidence. They are simply being rational people.

When John Gibson and Fox News go on and on about the "War against Christmas" are they not playing the "victim card"?

When John Gibson and Fox News go on and on about the "War against Christmas" are they not playing the "victim card"?

Sure they are. I just made a observation about something I'd hadn't seen from atheist until coming on the internet. Pretty abundant here.
I find this brand of atheists to be exactly like the Christians who complain about gay marraige or whatever. Does gay marraige actually effect those Christians in any way near what they claim? Nope.
Does the existence of faith actually effect the atheists in any way near what they claim? Nope.
They're just different sides of the same coin.

Scientific consensus through rigorous study and the peer review process is slightly different than the belief of a popular majority, but you are free to embrace whatever conspiracy theories you like. There are people out there who still believe the earth is flat as well:

The Flat Earth Society

I hate to break it to you but the flat earth belief came from Darwin and his buddies.

Forum List

Back