The US Election -- Questions from outside the US

Bernhard

Gold Member
Nov 25, 2020
Berlin, Germany
As I'm not American, I've followed reports about the US election from the outside. What's most remarkable, for me, is that America seems to be so incredibly divided at the moment. It was bad already when I talked with Americans online 15 years ago, but now, it seems to be even worse.

So, my question to you is: What do you think is necessary to heal this division? If you're Democrat, what do you expect from Republicans to unite America again? If you're Republican, what do you think is necessary from the side of Democrats to make it the United States of America again?

As I'm not American, I've followed reports about the US election from the outside. What's most remarkable, for me, is that America seems to be so incredibly divided at the moment. It was bad already when I talked with Americans online 15 years ago, but now, it seems to be even worse.

So, my question to you is: What do you think is necessary to heal this division? If you're Democrat, what do you expect from Republicans to unite America again? If you're Republican, what do you think is necessary from the side of Democrats to make it the United States of America again?
It is not Republicans against Democrats. It is those who saw the Trump con long ago and those who have still not seen it.

It doesn't look like there was much opposition against Trump from within the Republican Party, or is there? I mean okay, a few lonely Reps here and there, but nobody really challenged him, and at the moment, it looks like Trump will continue to play a major role for the Republicans.

Or at least it looks like that from what I gather over here. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway... what do you think should be done to improve the situation?

Well, we're not that divided for one thing. While 170M voted, there are 130M+ who don't care enough to vote. Of the 170M who did vote, I would imagine about 40M are truly hopelessly red or blue. The rest of us are of the 170M are shades of purple.

In our system, the Federal government is set up to where the President can't do much without the numbers in both chambers of our Congress. So it only makes sense to vote for all democrats or all republicans at the federal level. The politics are such today where if you're a Republican working with democrats or vice versa you get shunned by Party bosses. So nobody does it. Had our politics been different, I may have voted for a senator from Arizona named Martha McSally. She is pretty much the poster child for a modern American woman. I mean...shit. Father died when she was a teenager, went to the Air Force Academy, Graduated from freaking Harvard. Flew the A-10 Warthog.... This isn't a high altitude bomber...the A10 is almost like a flying tank. I couldn't imagine the guts it takes to strap this plane on to your body and take it into combat as she did in Afghanistan. The only thing that kept me from voting for her was the R next to her name. Like I said in our system....if you don't have the Presidency and Both Houses....you're nowhere. When she runs for Governor (if she runs), she has my vote. I will probably campaign for her. I love this woman. And I left off a few things I could have mentioned that would add gloss to her halo. Her politics is at odds with mine often but wanting to serve goes a long way with me. And, as an executive, I think you'd see her lead from the center-right.

And I think if more of us who are politically aware actually studied the deeper resumes of those who are candidates, not only would we be better served but you'd probably see some ballot splitting where you don't expect to see it.

What could bring us together? Well...we have a group of people who believe conspiracy theories instead of logic. The only thing that could change them...perhaps...is their fellow republicans to set them straight.

The current division tearing apart my country is NOT due to a Left vs. Right dichotomy; rather what is tearing America to pieces is a matter of a torrent of globalist/Chinese propaganda versus good, patriotic citizenry—the category into which most all Americans fall. The Great Deception of our time, perpetuated by our Mainstream Media, is that half of Americans love their country while the other half despises it. This is not true. If one extracts oneself from social media for a day, ventures forth outside one's abode, and converses face to face with their fellow Americans, then one will quickly discover most Americans share much more in common with each other, despite political beliefs, than not.

If any large groups of real, living breathing Americans actually sharply disagree to the point of wanting to harm one another over their differing political beliefs it is only because of the wedge hammered between them by mainstream media talking heads, Hollywood propagandists, and Marxist/Pro-China university professors. By and large the vast majority of Americans do not buy into revolutionary Marxist/postmodernist ideology—at least not at street level. Hegelian dialectic and hardcore Marxist epistemologies and rabid ideologies do not put food on the table or protect our basic constitutional rights.

All of the BLM/Antifa/NFAC "soldiers" you see on your television marching through the streets of major American cities, looting, burning and killing—they DO NOT represent the majority of American citizens or American citizens' true feelings for each other; they are paid to organize and march; funded by anti-American agencies to sow division and hatred amongst the populous at large.

So what can heal the division between Americans and Chinese/globalist propaganda? Nothing but war.

Edit: welcome to USMB

Anyway... what do you think should be done to improve the situation?

All major media outlets, to include print and digital forms, must be suspended for as long as it takes to purge from them Chinese/globalist influence. Additionally, all universities and colleges must be closed until such time as all Chinese/postmodernist intelligentsia can be rooted out and removed. Finally, all elected U.S. politicians with ties of any kind to Chinese/U.N. or IEF money/intellectual property must also be impeached/removed and all U.S. school districts must be purged of curricula even hinting at pro-China/UN propaganda and all postmodernism related propaganda as well. All teachers who teach anti-American material must go. This is the only path to healing our nation other than war.

Well, we're not that divided for one thing. While 170M voted, there are 130M+ who don't care enough to vote. Of the 170M who did vote, I would imagine about 40M are truly hopelessly red or blue. The rest of us are of the 170M are shades of purple.

In our system, the Federal government is set up to where the President can't do much without the numbers in both chambers of our Congress. So it only makes sense to vote for all democrats or all republicans at the federal level. The politics are such today where if you're a Republican working with democrats or vice versa you get shunned by Party bosses. So nobody does it. Had our politics been different, I may have voted for a senator from Arizona named Martha McSally. She is pretty much the poster child for a modern American woman. I mean...shit. Father died when she was a teenager, went to the Air Force Academy, Graduated from freaking Harvard. Flew the A-10 Warthog.... This isn't a high altitude bomber...the A10 is almost like a flying tank. I couldn't imagine the guts it takes to strap this plane on to your body and take it into combat as she did in Afghanistan. The only thing that kept me from voting for her was the R next to her name. Like I said in our system....if you don't have the Presidency and Both Houses....you're nowhere. When she runs for Governor (if she runs), she has my vote. I will probably campaign for her. I love this woman. And I left off a few things I could have mentioned that would add gloss to her halo. Her politics is at odds with mine often but wanting to serve goes a long way with me. And, as an executive, I think you'd see her lead from the center-right.

And I think if more of us who are politically aware actually studied the deeper resumes of those who are candidates, not only would we be better served but you'd probably see some ballot splitting where you don't expect to see it.

What could bring us together? Well...we have a group of people who believe conspiracy theories instead of logic. The only thing that could change them...perhaps...is their fellow republicans to set them straight.

Do you think that something about the political system should be changed, in order to open the door for more bipartisan cooperation, or, in other words, that this is less the result of stubborn people in politics, but more of a system where "the winner takes it all"?

I find political systems in different countries very interesting. It strikes me about the American system that it seems to be very focused on polarization: It's either one party that wins, or the other.

While for example here in Germany, it seems like we have the opposite problem ... our system forces our parties to compromise all the time. So much that many people turn away from the parties, because they feel "they are all the same anyway". In fact, for the past 15 years, our two largest parties have formed a coalition government most of the time (11 years, to be exact).

So... on one side, we don't have this extremely toxic polarization ... but on the other, I feel we'd have a better choice if there was less of compromising all the time.

Unfortunately I think there are going to need to be regulations on how our political leaders speak and campaign. A reform to our entire campaign finance system is desperately needed anyways to reduce the reliance on shady money and fundraising.

The division comes from two main elements. Degradation of civil discourse and a juiced up partisan media that caters only to extremists. People love drama to media and politicians are giving them drama by promoting conspiracies, using hyperbole, shock factor statements, and setting up their political opponents as evil.
As long as politicians use these tactics and they get boosted by the media, divisions will grow.

Trump was a steroid shot to all of this. Getting him out was a good first step. Biden taking a moderate approach is the right tone to take from the top. I hope he keeps it up. I’m still very worried about Trump TV and all the puppets that have clinched onto the Trump attack tactics. They’ve found some success with it so I don’t know how it now gets discouraged.

The current division tearing apart my country is NOT due to a Left vs. Right dichotomy; rather what is tearing America to pieces is a matter of a torrent of globalist/Chinese propaganda versus good, patriotic citizenry—the category into which most all Americans fall. The Great Deception of our time, perpetuated by our Mainstream Media, is that half of Americans love their country while the other half despises it. This is not true. If one extracts oneself from social media for a day, ventures forth outside one's abode, and converses face to face with their fellow Americans, then one will quickly discover most Americans share much more in common with each other, despite political beliefs, than not.

If any large groups of real, living breathing Americans actually sharply disagree to the point of wanting to harm one another over their differing political beliefs it is only because of the wedge hammered between them by mainstream media talking heads, Hollywood propagandists, and Marxist/Pro-China university professors. By and large the vast majority of Americans do not buy into revolutionary Marxist/postmodernist ideology—at least not at street level. Hegelian dialectic and hardcore Marxist epistemologies and rabid ideologies do not put food on the table or protect our basic constitutional rights.

All of the BLM/Antifa/NFAC "soldiers" you see on your television marching through the streets of major American cities, looting, burning and killing—they DO NOT represent the majority of American citizens or American citizens' true feelings for each other; they are paid to organize and march; funded by anti-American agencies to sow division and hatred amongst the populous at large.

So what can heal the division between Americans and Chinese/globalist propaganda? Nothing but war.

Thanks!

That's a rather pessimistic view ... war, I mean. And it's exactly what I heard from both sides a couple of times... people feel you can no longer reason with "the other side", but have to fight them (to the death, if necessary).

Let me say I hope there are other options to come together again.

My outside view makes me think the media, both "old media" and online, are broken indeed. I can't really blame one side in particular ... for me it looks like that most media outlets pick one side and then join the battle, and it's truth and accuracy that are thrown under the bus first.

If people were truly debating topics and ideas, rather than playing the blame game, it shouldn't be too difficult to get them on one table again, or so I hope.

There is no uniting.
Too many people want the govt to run everything. EVERYTHING
Too many people want the govt to run less.
Not very many just want to be left alone.
I don’t think that many people want the government to run everything. They see issues in our society that they want addressed. Environment, racism, healthcare... the left is proposing solutions that are government run, the Right, instead of proving private sector solutions are simply denying these issues exists. So people that care about these things only have one party trying to address the problems. That’s the problem with how the Right has been messaging. If we could get back to a debate about best ways to solve these problems then perhaps the Republicans could pull more people in.

Unfortunately I think there are going to need to be regulations on how our political leaders speak and campaign. A reform to our entire campaign finance system is desperately needed anyways to reduce the reliance on shady money and fundraising.

The division comes from two main elements. Degradation of civil discourse and a juiced up partisan media that caters only to extremists. People love drama to media and politicians are giving them drama by promoting conspiracies, using hyperbole, shock factor statements, and setting up their political opponents as evil.
As long as politicians use these tactics and they get boosted by the media, divisions will grow.

Trump was a steroid shot to all of this. Getting him out was a good first step. Biden taking a moderate approach is the right tone to take from the top. I hope he keeps it up. I’m still very worried about Trump TV and all the puppets that have clinched onto the Trump attack tactics. They’ve found some success with it so I don’t know how it now gets discouraged.

Yes I wondered about that, too ... what can be done to make public discourse civil again -- talking about the issues, not blaming people and inventing conspiracies?

I liked how moderate Biden sounded in his first speech... that he said he wants to be President even of those who didn't vote for him. That's a welcome change after 4 years when the President just kept praising himself and blaming other people for all kinds of things.

But can Biden even do what he promises? After all, he has to appease the more radical people within his party, too ... so can he even afford to be a uniter, or will he have to resort to divisive policies sooner or later?

There is no uniting.
I don’t think that many people want the government to run everything. They see issues in our society that they want addressed. Environment, racism, healthcare... the left is proposing solutions that are government run, the Right, instead of proving private sector solutions are simply denying these issues exists. So people that care about these things only have one party trying to address the problems. That’s the problem with how the Right has been messaging. If we could get back to a debate about best ways to solve these problems then perhaps the Republicans could pull more people in.
So, running social issues, healthcare, stricter gun control, employer to employee negotiations, degradation of states rights, ways people run their own private property etc is not taking everything over?
Whats left? Who we fuck? Good lord

Thanks!

That's a rather pessimistic view ... war, I mean. And it's exactly what I heard from both sides a couple of times... people feel you can no longer reason with "the other side", but have to fight them (to the death, if necessary).

My outside view makes me think the media, both "old media" and online, are broken indeed. I can't really blame one side in particular ... for me it looks like that most media outlets pick one side and then join the battle, and it's truth and accuracy that are thrown under the bus first.

If people were truly debating topics and ideas, rather than playing the blame game, it shouldn't be too difficult to get them on one table again, or so I hope.

The rotten core of the problem is . . . where do the American People hold real debate with each other free from the influence of anti-American propagandists—to put it as simply as possible? We as a people whole cannot debate "cleanly" on social media; on cable news platforms, in newspaper editorials or even, at present, on any university campus imaginable. Wherever Americans strive to hold healing conversations anti-American "forces" poison the waters until they taste so toxic everyone involved on both sides is driven to almost instant murderous rage. This problem also extends to our courts, our elections; our religious organizations and all educational institutions.

Yes I wondered about that, too ... what can be done to make public discourse civil again -- talking about the issues, not blaming people and inventing conspiracies?

I liked how moderate Biden sounded in his first speech... that he said he wants to be President even of those who didn't vote for him. That's a welcome change after 4 years when the President just kept praising himself and blaming other people for all kinds of things.

But can Biden even do what he promises? After all, he has to appease the more radical people within his party, too ... so can he even afford to be a uniter, or will he have to resort to divisive policies sooner or later?
There will definitely be pushback in his party and since I think he will only be serving one term means the campaigning will start for his job after two years. So again, campaigning will get in the way of progress.

I think Biden has the experience and the bipartisan relationships to rally a goodcore of people together on both sides. The question will be about how hard theRepublicans will oppose him. The last two presidents have gotten a United opposition against them. Will the tit for tat continue with Biden?? I don’t know. Perhaps if he isn’t running for re-election then giving him some legislative wins won’t be such a detrimental thing in the eyes is the Republicans. We shall see.

There is no uniting.
So, running social issues, healthcare, stricter gun control, employer to employee negotiations, degradation of states rights, ways people run their own private property etc is not taking everything over?
Whats left? Who we fuck? Good lord
I don’t think you understood what I was saying. Try reading slower next time

Do you think that something about the political system should be changed, in order to open the door for more bipartisan cooperation, or, in other words, that this is less the result of stubborn people in politics, but more of a system where "the winner takes it all"?

I find political systems in different countries very interesting. It strikes me about the American system that it seems to be very focused on polarization: It's either one party that wins, or the other.

While for example here in Germany, it seems like we have the opposite problem ... our system forces our parties to compromise all the time. So much that many people turn away from the parties, because they feel "they are all the same anyway". In fact, for the past 15 years, our two largest parties have formed a coalition government most of the time (11 years, to be exact).

So... on one side, we don't have this extremely toxic polarization ... but on the other, I feel we'd have a better choice if there was less of compromising all the time.

Bipartisan cooperation would require compromise.
Compromise is when an agreement is reached where both sides offer something, and both sides are equally dissatisfied with the outcome.

Neither side is willing to compromise.
One side has nothing the other side wants, and already has closer to what they want in restricting the government.
Although they may desire less government expansion than they currently endure, more government expansion would not be an acceptable option.

The compromise the opposition offers would be like, "Would you rather we cut off your right arm or your left arm"?
The answer is, "We won't be letting you cut off either arm, and if you want to fight about, then we will".

Thanks!

The rotten core of the problem is . . . where do the American People hold real debate with each other free from the influence of anti-American propagandists—to put it as simply as possible? We as a people whole cannot debate "cleanly" on social media; on cable news platforms, in newspaper editorials or even, at present, on any university campus imaginable. Wherever Americans strive to hold healing conversations anti-American "forces" poison the waters until they taste so toxic everyone involved on both sides is driven to almost instant murderous rage. This problem also extends to our courts, our elections; our religious organizations and all educational institutions.
When you say “anti American forces” are you talking about the Left?

Thanks!

I find it very hard in these times to see the difference between propaganda spin and/or "fake news" on one side, and legitimate concerns on the other. Is it possible that at least some of the people you think are brainwashed by anti-American propaganda in reality just hold different opinions than you do, which are not any less legitimate?

Guess that's a question we all have to ask ourselves if we are interested in healing the current divide.

Forum List

Back