The unsung members on the amphibious transport dock ships

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
5da4902fcc4a0a511c2945e3

As with every branch of the military, it’s the ones doing the lifting and sorting that keep things going.

5da49017cc4a0a50f121c154

Working in combat cargo is not only physically taxing, but it is also mentally exhausting.

Someone has to unload and put away the parts and equipment that keep the big amphibs going and the ship getting them to where they need to go.

An interesting article about it @ Meet the overlooked crews who make sure fellow Marines can fight from ship to shore

5da4902fcc4a0a511c2945e3

As with every branch of the military, it’s the ones doing the lifting and sorting that keep things going.

5da49017cc4a0a50f121c154

Working in combat cargo is not only physically taxing, but it is also mentally exhausting.

Someone has to unload and put away the parts and equipment that keep the big amphibs going and the ship getting them to where they need to go.

An interesting article about it @ Meet the overlooked crews who make sure fellow Marines can fight from ship to shore

What about all of the other amphibs? Like LHDs. LHAs, and LSDs? You only mentioned LPDs.

Interesting that the (Sailors?) are wearing subdued combat gear but bright blue civilian hard hats. Doesn't the military issue hard hats?

Interesting that the (Sailors?) are wearing subdued combat gear but bright blue civilian hard hats. Doesn't the military issue hard hats?

Those are coveralls, and the guy with his back to the camera is wearing a flight suit. The helmets are color coded by positions and they are not in combat, so no need for any other colors. That photo was also probably taken inside a hangar bay.

Last edited:
I only posted what the article dealt with.
Anyone who has ever served knows that NO military organization can meet its mission requirements without the massive number of people responsible for the bullets and beans.

Anyone who has ever served knows that NO military organization can meet its mission requirements without the massive number of people responsible for the bullets and beans.

Agreed, but again, I go back to my previous question. What about all of the other amphibs? Like LHDs. LHAs, and LSDs? You only mentioned LPDs. That wasn't' the only class of ship mentioned in the article, yet you chose the LPD for your thread title.

Those are coveralls, and the guy with his back to the camera is wearing a flight suit. The helmets are color coded by positions and they are not in combat, so no need for any other colors. That photo was also probably taken inside a hangar bay.
My guess is that they are "unsung" civilians loading a U.S. ship. In that context every longshoreman is "unsung". The post is inane.

Interesting that the (Sailors?) are wearing subdued combat gear but bright blue civilian hard hats. Doesn't the military issue hard

My guess is that they are "unsung" civilians loading a U.S. ship. In that context every longshoreman is "unsung". The post is inane.

If you read the article they are Marines.

Agreed, but again, I go back to my previous question. What about all of the other amphibs? Like LHDs. LHAs, and LSDs? You only mentioned LPDs. That wasn't' the only class of ship mentioned in the article, yet you chose the LPD for your thread title.

To be honest, I can't really say. :)

Forum List

Back