The Unsung Heroes of Hollywood Awards

Boss

Take a Memo:
Apr 21, 2012
Birmingham, AL
This thread is to pay tribute to the plethora of talented actors and actresses who never really got their fair dues in Hollywood. Not a lot of criteria for this, after all it's just our opinions... but I would like to keep it confined to people the general public might not recognize the name right away. Great character actors or supporting cast types but also maybe some who had leading roles and never really reached superstar status.

Here are a few of my nominees:

Mantan Moreland - Black comedian from the 40s-60s, starred in dozens of films and generally played a frightened black servant of some kind. He was most popular as Charlie Chan's sidekick, Birmingham Brown. While many thought his roles were abhorrently racist stereotypes, his comedic timing was brilliant and he was often given latitude by directors to ad lib his parts, something virtually no actors were allowed to do back then. Several of his movies, he achieved top billing, something virtually no black actors were able to do at the time. This man used his talent to put food on his family's table during a time where black people had very little opportunity.

John Cazale - You may not recognize the name but he is the only actor to have never been in a bad movie. All five of his roles were in movies nominated as Best Picture. He is best known for his role as Fredo Corleone in the Godfather movies.

Terry-Thomas - British actor and comedian, probably best known for his role as J. Algernon Hawthorne in It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. He had several other pretty good roles but his career declined in the 60s and he ended up penniless and living in a shelter for the destitute.

Judy Canova - If I were posting this thread back in the 40s, people might get a laugh... She was very popular back then. Had her own radio program, starred as the leading role in a number of films and had an amazing voice as a singer. She played a lovable country bumpkin character reminiscent of Minnie Pearl but she reminded me more of Carol Burnett. Some of her old movies are available on YouTube, you should check her out... very funny lady and years ahead of Lucille Ball and others.

I'm sure I'll think of some more but I'll leave it there for now.

Pat Hingle
968full-pat-hingle.jpg

James Hong - the quintessential "go-to" Asian in many movies.
4fe4b40025617-pop-con-la-entertainment-for-everyone-4.jpg

Charles Lane - Prolific character actor of the old days... Is there any movie he's not in?
charles-lane-sized.jpg

William Demarest- Great character actor.
william-demarest.jpg

M. Emmett Walsh- Usually plays some scuzzy character you love to hate, like in Blood Simple.
blood-simple-aaaagh-300x237.jpg

Stephen Root- Sometimes funny, sometimes weird, always great... aka: Bill from King of the Hill. In many Coen Brothers films.
_1417101597.jpg

Forum List

Back