The Unlikely Role of Kitchens in Occupied Japan

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
In the wake of World War II, a group of white women was brought to Japan to “liberate” its women. They spoke little or no Japanese and didn’t know much about the country. But these “occupationaires,” as they were called, had a tall mandate: Set Japanese women free by introducing them to the American way of life. Michiko Takeuchi explores the work of these women, who colonized Japanese kitchens even as they themselves defied their mission.

The occupationaires were members of the US Women’s Army Corps (WAC), and the country they encountered in 1945 was literally in ruins. Years of ruthless Allied bombings had taken their toll, and up to 3.1 million Japanese people had died both in battle and on the homefront. Poverty and homelessness were rampant. Not least, the country was reeling from the devastation of two atomic bombs.

..... Images of modern kitchens and the prosperous, well-fed women who cooked in them served many purposes, writes Takeuchi: They reminded Japanese people who had won the war and even served to explain the loss. Japanese kitchens, which contained wood-fired stoves, were presented as inferior and inefficient—a symbol for the inefficiency and inferiority that the American occupiers implied had caused Japan to lose the war.

The level of propaganda geared towards the kitchen is incredible. Send in a bunch of white, single women that didn't speak the language and traveled around the world to teach American style domesticity is fantastic and arrogant with a bow.

It seems pretty random to start a thread about this now. Do you have a point?

Why would it seem random? It's the history section. Is this not history? The article came out in JSTOR a few days ago.

Why would it seem random? It's the history section. Is this not history? The article came out in JSTOR a few days ago.
I'm going to have to agree with the Rook. Starting a thread about 1945 Japan that just had the shit nooked out of it doesn't qualify for a history subject. Especially building lives back to what they are today. How is that history when everyone of these people have been dead for years?

I'm going to have to agree with the Rook. Starting a thread about 1945 Japan that just had the shit nooked out of it doesn't qualify for a history subject. Especially building lives back to what they are today. How is that history when everyone of these people have been dead for years?
Are you high?

Are you high?
Yes I am btw. And you know I'm about as sarcastic as they come?..LOLOL.......................Actually that was for the Rook to see if he could see the irony of it and figger it out....lol

Are you high?
Yes I am btw. And you know I'm about as sarcastic as they come?..LOLOL.......................Actually that was for the Rook to see if he could see the irony of it and figger it out....lol
It's all making sense now.

Are you high?
It's all making sense now.
AT USMB??.Are you high??.lolol. I got this on read for tomorrow...too late now ...too lazy

???????????????????????????

???????????????????????????
Unfortunately my humor is very dry and highly sarcastic. Lol.....It is so much harder to convey in typing speak. lol

Forum List

Back