The United States in Yemen: How American Weapons Deals Enable Saudi Arabia’s War

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Since 2014, the internationally recognized government of Yemeni President Abdrabbuh Mansour Hadi has been at war with the Houthi rebels and their allies. Saudi Arabia has led a coalition backing the government since March of 2015. Iran, Saudi Arabia claims, is quietly supporting the Houthis, a Shia rebel group which led multiple rebellions against the former authoritarian president of Yemen, Ali Abdullah Saleh. The Houthis currently hold the northern part of the country; the southern part is held by troops supporting President Hadi and by local tribes.

Through a combination of ill-advised arms deals and recent military action, the United States has found itself mired in a conflict which it will neither be able to resolve nor exit easily. In order to avoid becoming embroiled in yet another unpredictable Middle Eastern conflict, the United States should retract its support for the campaign and pressure the Saudis to disengage, while allowing the United Nations to take the dominant role in the peacemaking process.

The United States entered the conflict directly on October 15, 2016. Missiles fired from rebel-controlled areas of Yemen struck the USS Mason; the Houthi military denies Pentagon claims that the attack came from the rebel group.The US Navy destroyer USS Nitze fired cruise missiles at three radar installations in retaliation for the apparent attack on the USS Mason.

The United States engaged Saudi Arabia in a US$1.3 billion arms sale last year, despite warnings from State Department officials that the sale could make the United States culpable for war crimes in the conflict. The weapons, exchanged in November 2015, were specifically sold with the purpose of restocking munitions used in Yemen. The United States has a long history of arms deals with Saudi Arabia, having sold them US$58 billion worth of arms between 2009 and 2015. However this particular transaction threatens to violate the 2014 Arms Trade Treaty, which prohibits the sale of conventional weapons in cases where such sale facilitates war crimes or crimes against humanity.
The United States in Yemen: How American Weapons Deals Enable Saudi Arabia’s War - Harvard International Review

Yet, the US entered the conflict much earlier and for reasons that we have come to know to well.
U.S. targets Yemen, expands ‘war on terror’

Since 2014, the internationally recognized government of Yemeni President Abdrabbuh Mansour Hadi has been at war with the Houthi rebels and their allies. Saudi Arabia has led a coalition backing the government since March of 2015. Iran, Saudi Arabia claims, is quietly supporting the Houthis, a Shia rebel group which led multiple rebellions against the former authoritarian president of Yemen, Ali Abdullah Saleh. The Houthis currently hold the northern part of the country; the southern part is held by troops supporting President Hadi and by local tribes.

Through a combination of ill-advised arms deals and recent military action, the United States has found itself mired in a conflict which it will neither be able to resolve nor exit easily. In order to avoid becoming embroiled in yet another unpredictable Middle Eastern conflict, the United States should retract its support for the campaign and pressure the Saudis to disengage, while allowing the United Nations to take the dominant role in the peacemaking process.

The United States entered the conflict directly on October 15, 2016. Missiles fired from rebel-controlled areas of Yemen struck the USS Mason; the Houthi military denies Pentagon claims that the attack came from the rebel group.The US Navy destroyer USS Nitze fired cruise missiles at three radar installations in retaliation for the apparent attack on the USS Mason.

The United States engaged Saudi Arabia in a US$1.3 billion arms sale last year, despite warnings from State Department officials that the sale could make the United States culpable for war crimes in the conflict. The weapons, exchanged in November 2015, were specifically sold with the purpose of restocking munitions used in Yemen. The United States has a long history of arms deals with Saudi Arabia, having sold them US$58 billion worth of arms between 2009 and 2015. However this particular transaction threatens to violate the 2014 Arms Trade Treaty, which prohibits the sale of conventional weapons in cases where such sale facilitates war crimes or crimes against humanity.
The United States in Yemen: How American Weapons Deals Enable Saudi Arabia’s War - Harvard International Review

Yet, the US entered the conflict much earlier and for reasons that we have come to know to well.

^^^^^^ BS----the current violence in Yemen is IRAN MEDIATED. It is a very important AXIS (IRAN, RUSSIA, SYRIA, SHIITE-SHIT) program in
the AXIS IMPERIALIST AGGRESSION FILTH-----that you support. The US has not done enough to end the STINK AND FILTH OF IRANIAN FASCISM (which is supported by Russia)_ For reliable information-----talk to a YEMENI----we got lots in the USA. The streets of Yemen run red with blood because of the war CRIMES COMITTED THERE BY HOUTHI AND HEZBOLLAH DOGS
(FULLY ARMED BY IRAN)

I can get my own "reliable" information. Thanks.

yes-----from me-----my very own hubby was born in Yemen

No. But, thanks. You didn't bother to read either article so I think we are all good.

I will be delighted to read the articles which I have no doubt will afford me
NO NEW INFORMATION. The violence in Yemen is NOTHING NEW----
although it is true that the intensive arming of the hated Houthi minority in
Yemen is-------sorta new-----like something of the past ten years.----and the
planting of Hezbollah dogs in that country is probably even newer

No. But, thanks. You didn't bother to read either article so I think we are all good.

Uh-huh.

Uh-huh.

??? you are quite nonchalant about dancing on the dead
bodies of Yemeni babies

Uh-huh.

bodies of Yemeni babies

Try again.

Uh-huh.

bodies of Yemeni babies

Try again.

try what again? I have made myself clear------I consider the presence of
IRAN in yemen to be a serious EVIL for both Yemen and THE WORLD.
Iran is grabbing Yemeni seaports for OBVIOUS REASONS. Sit tight-----the
filth you support is PANNING OUT as we post

Uh-huh.

bodies of Yemeni babies

Try again.

try what again? I have made myself clear------I consider the presence of
IRAN in yemen to be a serious EVIL for both Yemen and THE WORLD.
Iran is grabbing Yemeni seaports for OBVIOUS REASONS. Sit tight-----the
filth you support is PANNING OUT as we post

Did you read the articles?

Nevertheless, the U.S. war on Yemen has begun.

On Jan. 2, U.S. Gen. David Petraeus met with Yemeni President Ali Abdallah Salih. Washington has announced $70 million a year would go to Yemen for “counter-terrorism training.” U.S. “advisers” are in Yemen. U.S. drones have already unleashed cruise missiles.

What’s at stake for the U.S.?

Just as in Afghanistan and Iran, in Yemen Washington seeks not to fight terror, but to grab the natural resources and territory belonging to the indigenous people.

At stake is who profits from the drilling and distribution of oil. Yemen contains one of the world’s largest untapped petroleum reserves, which U.S. oil companies want.

Of more immediate importance is Yemen’s strategic location on key oil routes. At question is a key oil shipping lane, the Bab el Mandeb strait.

Twenty miles wide at its narrowest point, Bab el Mandeb lies in the waters of Yemen, Djibouti and Ethiopia, with Yemen most positioned to exercise control over the strait’s shipping lanes through its possession of Perim Island. Traffic through the strait is associated with the Suez Canal and the Suez/Sumed complex, a major pipeline through Egypt that brings oil from the Arabian Peninsula to Europe. Vital oil routes for China are close by.

In 2006 the U.S. Energy Department reported an estimated 3.3 million barrels of oil a day flowed through the straits. Most is from Saudi Arabia, Washington’s lynchpin and the world’s largest producer and exporter of total petroleum liquids.

According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, the strait is a chokepoint between the Horn of Africa and the Middle East, and a strategic link between the Mediterranean Sea and Indian Ocean. This government agency explains, “Closure of the Bab el-Mandeb could keep tankers from the Persian Gulf from reaching the Suez Canal/Sumed pipeline complex, diverting them around the southern tip of Africa.”

The Pentagon is in Yemen not to squash terrorism, but to grab its oil and to dominate strategic oil routes.

What year is that?

On Jan. 2, U.S. Gen. David Petraeus met with Yemeni President Ali Abdallah Salih. Washington has announced $70 million a year would go to Yemen for “counter-terrorism training.” U.S. “advisers” are in Yemen. U.S. drones have already unleashed cruise missiles.

Just as in Afghanistan and Iran, in Yemen Washington seeks not to fight terror, but to grab the natural resources and territory belonging to the indigenous people.

At stake is who profits from the drilling and distribution of oil. Yemen contains one of the world’s largest untapped petroleum reserves, which U.S. oil companies want.

Of more immediate importance is Yemen’s strategic location on key oil routes. At question is a key oil shipping lane, the Bab el Mandeb strait.

Twenty miles wide at its narrowest point, Bab el Mandeb lies in the waters of Yemen, Djibouti and Ethiopia, with Yemen most positioned to exercise control over the strait’s shipping lanes through its possession of Perim Island. Traffic through the strait is associated with the Suez Canal and the Suez/Sumed complex, a major pipeline through Egypt that brings oil from the Arabian Peninsula to Europe. Vital oil routes for China are close by.

In 2006 the U.S. Energy Department reported an estimated 3.3 million barrels of oil a day flowed through the straits. Most is from Saudi Arabia, Washington’s lynchpin and the world’s largest producer and exporter of total petroleum liquids.

According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, the strait is a chokepoint between the Horn of Africa and the Middle East, and a strategic link between the Mediterranean Sea and Indian Ocean. This government agency explains, “Closure of the Bab el-Mandeb could keep tankers from the Persian Gulf from reaching the Suez Canal/Sumed pipeline complex, diverting them around the southern tip of Africa.”

The Pentagon is in Yemen not to squash terrorism, but to grab its oil and to dominate strategic oil routes.

What year is that?

you got it almost right------you have almost described why IRAN is in Yemen-----and why HEZBOLLAH has been planted there and why the HOUTHI MINORITY IS NOW ARMED TO THE TEETH.............. In fact it is not really about OIL at
all -------it is about IRANIAN control of THE SEAPORTS. --------in fact it is very much the same reason that got RUSSIA into Crimea. Try talking to a YEMENI------we got lots in the USA Getting back to OIL-------oil has been
a bone of contention IN YEMEN for decades. It forms the basis for much of the civil war that has been ongoing in that land for more than 50 years-----and UNRELATED to the USA

What year is that?

you got it almost right------you have almost described why IRAN is in Yemen-----and why HEZBOLLAH has been planted there and why the HOUTHI MINORITY IS NOW ARMED TO THE TEETH.............. In fact it is not really about OIL at
all -------it is about IRANIAN control of THE SEAPORTS. --------in fact it is very much the same reason that got RUSSIA into Crimea. Try talking to a YEMENI------we got lots in the USA Getting back to OIL-------oil has been
a bone of contention IN YEMEN for decades. It forms the basis for much of the civil war that has been ongoing in that land for more than 50 years-----and UNRELATED to the USA

Thanks for your contribution.

Forum List

Back