The unbearable smugness of the press

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
So much for that. The audience for our glib analysis and contempt for much of the electorate, it turned out, was rather limited. This was particularly true when it came to voters, the ones who turned out by the millions to deliver not only a rebuke to the political system but also the people who cover it. Trump knew what he was doingwhen he invited his crowds to jeer and hiss the reporters covering him. They hate us, and have for some time.
This is all a “whitelash,” you see. Trump voters are racist and sexist, so there must be more racists and sexists than we realized. Tuesday night’s outcome was not a logic-driven rejection of a deeply flawed candidate named Clinton; no, it was a primal scream against fairness, equality, and progress. Let the new tantrums commence!
The public’s estimation of the press declines even further -- fewer than one-in-three Americans trust the press, per Gallup -- which starts the cycle anew.
---------
Sometimes quite literally so, such as when reporters tweet out a photo of racist-looking Trump supporters and jokingly suggest that they must be upset about free trade or low wages.

Commentary: The unbearable smugness of the press

I would hope from the nearly 15,160 messages I've put since joining this forum that for those of you
that think I'm a racist, a sexist because I voted for Trump... remember where you got that opinion...the main stream media as the above article explains and once again I'm trying to help you shrinking number of people that still believe the MSM is objective!

No, last night on PBS News Hour they started eating the humble pie. They get that they've been living in an elite bubble, and they got caught with their pants down. There needs to be a lot more diversity of experience and thought in the newsroom in order to reflect real America. At least some of them get it.

No, last night on PBS News Hour they started eating the humble pie. They get that they've been living in an elite bubble, and they got caught with their pants down. There needs to be a lot more diversity of experience and thought in the newsroom in order to reflect real America. At least some of them get it.

No they don't need diversity! They need to remember the principles of journalism.
Journalists present the news and don't form opinions.

You don't do as Walter Cronkite did and was the first biased MSM "reporter" back in February 27,1968...
Read what Walter Cronkite did to 56,000 DEAD americans when he said this on his evening news.
February 27 broadcast, "Report from Vietnam," played a major role in turning Americans against the war and inducing President Lyndon Johnson to abandon his reelection campaign.That’s when, as legend has it, Cronkite was so shocked at the devastation of the communists’ Tet offensive that he went over to see for himself what was really going on. And he concluded the war was a stalemate, probably unwinnable.
Cronkite’s report, writes Brinkley, was "immediately seen as a catalyst by pundits in the Monday newspapers. . . . Cronkite turned dove, and the hawk Johnson lost his talons." This tracks with what Halberstam wrote in his 1979 book, The Powers That Be:
"It was the first time in American history that a war has been declared over by an anchorman." Lyndon Johnson was said to have watched the broadcast and exclaimed to his press secretary, George Christian, "If I have lost Walter Cronkite, I’ve lost Middle America."
BUT CRONKITE WAS SO SO VERY WRONG!!! And because of him the TET OFFENSIVE which WAS a victory was pronounced by Cronkite as a DEFEAT worthy of the USA withdrawing. Which we DID!
Cronkite's Vietnam Blunder

PBS takes corporate funding, so their only real difference now is they don't shout at ya. Yet. Corporate america owns the media machine, six major multinational cororations preside over ~90% of the "information" americans are subjected to. The media in america is merely a form of crowd control, just as surely as if it were state owned.

The MSN reporters were so shocked by Hillary's defeat they were stuttering and blubbering on camera. That happens when you believe your own lies.

The MSN reporters were so shocked by Hillary's defeat they were stuttering and blubbering on camera. That happens when you believe your own lies.

That plus they wasted their donations!
96%toDemosbyMSM.png

OP did you notice how they labeled it a 'upset' victory like Hillary was destined to win. The media Fox included appeared shell shocked and confounded.

We few proud Trump supporters knew he could win ON THE ISSUES, ON POLICY.

No they don't need diversity! They need to remember the principles of journalism.
Journalists present the news and don't form opinions.

You don't do as Walter Cronkite did and was the first biased MSM "reporter" back in February 27,1968...
Read what Walter Cronkite did to 56,000 DEAD americans when he said this on his evening news.
February 27 broadcast, "Report from Vietnam," played a major role in turning Americans against the war and inducing President Lyndon Johnson to abandon his reelection campaign.That’s when, as legend has it, Cronkite was so shocked at the devastation of the communists’ Tet offensive that he went over to see for himself what was really going on. And he concluded the war was a stalemate, probably unwinnable.
Cronkite’s report, writes Brinkley, was "immediately seen as a catalyst by pundits in the Monday newspapers. . . . Cronkite turned dove, and the hawk Johnson lost his talons." This tracks with what Halberstam wrote in his 1979 book, The Powers That Be:
"It was the first time in American history that a war has been declared over by an anchorman." Lyndon Johnson was said to have watched the broadcast and exclaimed to his press secretary, George Christian, "If I have lost Walter Cronkite, I’ve lost Middle America."
BUT CRONKITE WAS SO SO VERY WRONG!!! And because of him the TET OFFENSIVE which WAS a victory was pronounced by Cronkite as a DEFEAT worthy of the USA withdrawing. Which we DID!
Cronkite's Vietnam Blunder
Yes, they need to invite conservatives and former mill workers and small business people and farmers and EVERYONE to add their perspectives to what news will be covered and how. There is a vast amount of news to choose from every day when they decide what to cover. I think the reason the major 3 and the cable 2 and PBS all tend to cover the same stories is because these PBS folks are right--they share the same basic perspectives on what is important.
Yes, you see if someone in the NBC newsroom saw an AP article on education, a person with experience as, say, a high school principal, might see an interesting and valid reason to dig into the story. A guy with strong union experience background would push for strike stories, what the real issues are, in depth. Do you see what I mean?

Have you hung that cat?
I don't watch MSNBC, but your statement contradicts itself. They weren't lying if they were shocked when the truth hit.

PBS takes corporate funding, so their only real difference now is they don't shout at ya. Yet. Corporate america owns the media machine, six major multinational cororations preside over ~90% of the "information" americans are subjected to. The media in america is merely a form of crowd control, just as surely as if it were state owned.
My dearest wish--indeed it would be better than Christmas and Heaven rolled in one--would be if corporate sponsors (in my mind that reads "commercials") were separated from the news programs. But how would that work? Who would pay these broadcasters and newscasters and weathermen, etc.? The government? Hmmmm.....not so sure I like the smell of that, either.
PBS tells you up front who donated to their programs. They try to be fair, albeit there is that liberal bubble phenom going on. And oh, I so enjoy no commercials.
If you've got an alternative that would work, please explain it to me.

John King on CNN kept accidentally saying 'our' when describing how Clinton could still win certain undecided states. Hahahaha, I think we know who he was hoping and cheering for.

Have you hung that cat?
I don't watch MSNBC, but your statement contradicts itself. They weren't lying if they were shocked when the truth hit.

There's no rope on the cat....it's just acting silly.
My statement was just a little (weak) humor.
I accidentally included your post.....sorry.

Have you hung that cat?

There's no rope on the cat....it's just acting silly.
My statement was just a little (weak) humor.
I accidentally included your post.....sorry.
Thanks for not hanging your double jointed cat.

My dearest wish--indeed it would be better than Christmas and Heaven rolled in one--would be if corporate sponsors (in my mind that reads "commercials") were separated from the news programs. But how would that work? Who would pay these broadcasters and newscasters and weathermen, etc.? The government? Hmmmm.....not so sure I like the smell of that, either.
PBS tells you up front who donated to their programs. They try to be fair, albeit there is that liberal bubble phenom going on. And oh, I so enjoy no commercials.
If you've got an alternative that would work, please explain it to me.

All I’m saying is things were much better before Clinton deregulated the FCC, back in the 1980’s, 50 some odd companies were involved, multiple voices, as opposed to 6 major multinational corporations choking everything up with essentially universalized propaganda. As for “liberal” influence, all I see is neoliberal influence, and that crap winds up in the same space as neoconservative influence; continued economic cannibalization of society. The so called personal social issues are just smoke and mirrors. I don’t see much difference between MSNBC and Fox News for example, they’re both pushing the same perceptual reality and baiting division and friction; none of it focused on being informative or coherent.

I halfway watched an interview on Fox today with pollsters who had predicted a Hillary victory all along. The smarmy A-holes made jokes about their ineptness and I thought I heard the word "adjusted" in the context of polling results. In another words it seems the pollsters admitted that they deliberately skewed the results of the polls that showed grass roots support for Trump because they were convinced Hillary would win. This is so crazy that it defy's explanation.

So much for that. The audience for our glib analysis and contempt for much of the electorate, it turned out, was rather limited. This was particularly true when it came to voters, the ones who turned out by the millions to deliver not only a rebuke to the political system but also the people who cover it. Trump knew what he was doingwhen he invited his crowds to jeer and hiss the reporters covering him. They hate us, and have for some time.
This is all a “whitelash,” you see. Trump voters are racist and sexist, so there must be more racists and sexists than we realized. Tuesday night’s outcome was not a logic-driven rejection of a deeply flawed candidate named Clinton; no, it was a primal scream against fairness, equality, and progress. Let the new tantrums commence!
The public’s estimation of the press declines even further -- fewer than one-in-three Americans trust the press, per Gallup -- which starts the cycle anew.
---------
Sometimes quite literally so, such as when reporters tweet out a photo of racist-looking Trump supporters and jokingly suggest that they must be upset about free trade or low wages.

I would hope from the nearly 15,160 messages I've put since joining this forum that for those of you
that think I'm a racist, a sexist because I voted for Trump... remember where you got that opinion...the main stream media as the above article explains and once again I'm trying to help you shrinking number of people that still believe the MSM is objective!

I don't think you're a racist or sexist, I know Trump is. And of course television is crap, so I don't watch. We should all try that for a change, they only do what they do because the american public watches and responds. I don't expect them to change what works for them.

Turned on a local sports talk show that wanders into politics a little every week. Of course they had called the election over weeks ago, today they came to the brilliant conclusion that maybe....just maybe Trump supporters aren't racists....enjoyed every second of it.

---------

I don't think you're a racist or sexist, I know Trump is. And of course television is crap, so I don't watch. We should all try that for a change, they only do what they do because the american public watches and responds. I don't expect them to change what works for them.

YOU KNOW TRUMP's a racist?
Then explain this "racist's choice!!!
Screen Shot 2016-11-10 at 11.11.46 PM.png

Many believe in the "Boogeyman" created by the MSM. It's so stupid.

No one seems to be able to articulate exactly what Trump is going to do that they are so worried about. He will enforce the law.

New Topics

Forum List

Back