The truth

I think the Star Wars cracks were a bit more on the mark than the Lord of the Rings cracks. It looks like he was just coming up with excuses to make fun of the movies to annoy the fanboys. If you don't like Lord of the Rings, it's your loss, but if you're going to find something to make fun of, the 'endless walking' is just idiotic. In fact, the biggest criticism many people had of the third movie was that it was practically nothing but battles, not walking.

LOTR trilogy are the most overrated films of all time and the fact that they are even listed in the top ten of imdb just shows it http://www.imdb.com/chart/top. although they have been slipping recently. a few days ago they had return of the king as number 2 now it's down to 4. the cartoon versions from the 70's or 80's with the songs were better then these last ones. they were as boring as a set of films as you can find out there. they are like a film on the drying of paint.

LOTR trilogy are the most overrated films of all time and the fact that they are even listed in the top ten of imdb just shows it http://www.imdb.com/chart/top. although they have been slipping recently. a few days ago they had return of the king as number 2 now it's down to 4. the cartoon versions from the 70's or 80's with the songs were better then these last ones. they were as boring as a set of films as you can find out there. they are like a film on the drying of paint.

I'm afraid you're in the minority there. I don't know why you think they're so terrible, but isn't the definition of a good movie one that many people find entertaining? Does the fact that it does not personally entertain you make it bad, even if everyone else seems to like it? Is there even the slightest possibility in your mind that the movie is, in fact, good, but it's just not something you like? Now, I'm not going to sit here and try to make you like it any more than my sister tries to make me like Steel Magnolias. It's clearly not your thing, but has it entered your mind that people actually do like it, rather than just pretend to like it?

Just so you know, I think they dropped the ball in a few easy to fix places, but I still think the final product was good. I think they should have gotten Viggo Mortensen a voice over guy to go with him. He looked like Aragorn, but didn't sound a thing like him. I think Gimli needed to be more dignified. I think Arwen needed to be more in the background. I'm also a little upset with a few of the 'liberties' taken when departing from the book, such as when the sword was reforged, when the elves came to the aid of men, Faramir's attitude towards the ring, and the timing and manner of Saruman's demise. However, I am very glad they cut out Tom Bombadil. Yes, he's a great character, but I don't think they could have avoided screwing him up.

I'm afraid you're in the minority there. I don't know why you think they're so terrible, but isn't the definition of a good movie one that many people find entertaining? Does the fact that it does not personally entertain you make it bad, even if everyone else seems to like it? Is there even the slightest possibility in your mind that the movie is, in fact, good, but it's just not something you like? Now, I'm not going to sit here and try to make you like it any more than my sister tries to make me like Steel Magnolias. It's clearly not your thing, but has it entered your mind that people actually do like it, rather than just pretend to like it?

Just so you know, I think they dropped the ball in a few easy to fix places, but I still think the final product was good. I think they should have gotten Viggo Mortensen a voice over guy to go with him. He looked like Aragorn, but didn't sound a thing like him. I think Gimli needed to be more dignified. I think Arwen needed to be more in the background. I'm also a little upset with a few of the 'liberties' taken when departing from the book, such as when the sword was reforged, when the elves came to the aid of men, Faramir's attitude towards the ring, and the timing and manner of Saruman's demise. However, I am very glad they cut out Tom Bombadil. Yes, he's a great character, but I don't think they could have avoided screwing him up.

most people i know who saw it, who were fans of the book, found it to be overly long and overly rated. lotr doesn't have a huge base of fans but it has very loyal one. i watched and i expected far more then i got. the internet and media hype machine on the film was and still is way too much. a lot of people went ot see the phantom menace but that doesn't change the fact that it was a piece of shit.

As a Tolkein fan, I thought the Jackson implementation was entertaining, but strayed too far from the books. Granted it was necessary to fit the movie into a workable trilogy, but some of the changes were outright bastardizations made for "political correctness." As Hobbit mentioned, Arwen Undomiel played a much more minor role in the Tolkein books, something which irked me to no end. I also agree that Gimli was made to play the fool on several occasions, and that doesn't hold well with me.

Perhaps the biggest loss was that the return to the Shire was cut out of the movies entirely. Ending the Jackson trilogy where they did created an anti-climactic finish. Pretty sad in my opinion.

I had to tell myself not to expect much from the books to actually bleed into the movie, so I wasn't horribly disappointed, but in some ways (obviously) I was disappointed with the movie.

most people i know who saw it, who were fans of the book, found it to be overly long and overly rated. lotr doesn't have a huge base of fans but it has very loyal one. i watched and i expected far more then i got. the internet and media hype machine on the film was and still is way too much. a lot of people went ot see the phantom menace but that doesn't change the fact that it was a piece of shit.

I'm not saying it was good because people watched it. I'm saying it was good because people liked it. There's a huge difference. Everybody knows Phantom Menace blew and few people liked it (despite hype and box office returns). It was the biggest Star Wars embarassment since the Christmas special (slightly edging out Force Commander).

In fact, the biggest criticism many people had of the third movie was that it was practically nothing but battles, not walking.

I actually thought it was one of the most boring movies I've ever seen. The eight endings all sucked, it was a half hour's worth of good movie stretched to a three hour running time.

New Topics

Forum List

Back