The Tipping Point

No, if you expect others to pay high taxes it’s only fair that you do it too. If 25% is too high for you then pick a number you like but apply it to absolutely everyone and remember, no matter the percentage rate the rich will always pay more than you do. Fair Flat Tax.

LOL. Right. 25% on someone making $25,000 a year? Good luck with that one. You would have to exempt so much income before the tax kicks in. It would have to be like a 25% (or whatever percentage) on all income over a certain amount, like $50,000, for example
Nope! No exemptions. If people making twenty five grand a year don’t want to pay 25% they should not ask anyone else to Do so. Fair flat tax.
Life isn't fair. If we apply a standard $25,000 deduction for all filers and eliminate the rest we could all do our tax returns (on a postcard) in 15 minutes.

We'd definitely need a constitutional amendment to end WashDC deficit spending.
Careful what you wish for- most legislators are lawyers or have them at their disposal which leads to extremely verbose laws with a lot of ambiguity and you can bet that an amendment to the constitution would'nt turn out the way you want it-
There is a simpler way. Always vote against the incumbent. A.L.W.A.Y.S. - at some point the message served will be recognized.
I don't think have a Congress full of perpetual newbies would really serve us that well.
havin a bunch of career politicians hasnt done much good,,,
Why not have politicians making a career out of it? Their constituents have the opportunity to vote them out each election if they don't approve of their actions. It is the fault of the constituents if a bad Congressman (woman) stays in office. Congressmen/women actually know and learn a lot about different things as they work in Congress. The different committees zero in on different subjects. I definitely want people who know what's going on and understand it in depth voting on my behalf.

I think the biggest problem in Congress is having no way to acknowledge the negative effect of strong partisan politics. Other countries' Constitutions acknowledge that problem and try to mitigate it in some way. Our Founding Fathers ignored political parties. Big mistake.
well youve never shown yourself to be a very smart person,,,and this comment further proves that,,,
Which point(s) do you disagree with? How come?
the first would be the older they get the less chance they will have to pay back the debts they create and dump it on future generations,,
another would be the longer they are there the more they can profit from their legislation as we've seen from many of them now,,

another would be the longer they are there the bigger power trip they get from controlling other peoples lives,,,

I could go on but whats the use,,,

Careful what you wish for- most legislators are lawyers or have them at their disposal which leads to extremely verbose laws with a lot of ambiguity and you can bet that an amendment to the constitution would'nt turn out the way you want it-
There is a simpler way. Always vote against the incumbent. A.L.W.A.Y.S. - at some point the message served will be recognized.
I don't think have a Congress full of perpetual newbies would really serve us that well.
Why not have politicians making a career out of it? Their constituents have the opportunity to vote them out each election if they don't approve of their actions. It is the fault of the constituents if a bad Congressman (woman) stays in office. Congressmen/women actually know and learn a lot about different things as they work in Congress. The different committees zero in on different subjects. I definitely want people who know what's going on and understand it in depth voting on my behalf.

I think the biggest problem in Congress is having no way to acknowledge the negative effect of strong partisan politics. Other countries' Constitutions acknowledge that problem and try to mitigate it in some way. Our Founding Fathers ignored political parties. Big mistake.
well youve never shown yourself to be a very smart person,,,and this comment further proves that,,,
I disagree. OL definitely has lucid moments.
lucid doesnt amout to smart,,,just means she can wipe her own ass,,,

Liberal Democracies must always seek to balance the right to pursue one's ambitions with the needs of those who can't compete. The former is taxed to support the latter, often leaving those in the middle in a precarious position. As America trends toward a majority of tax-filers who pay little or no federal income tax - currently about half - we increase the point where they are incentivized to vote for those who promise to "spread the wealth," not by making them more productive but by eating the rich. Those in the middle are invariably shoved closer to the bottom because there just isn't enough wealth - and never could be - to satisfy the needs and demands of the bottom half.

"A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." - A.F. Tytler
Your timing is … questionable, considering the unemployment figures and corporate welfare, but more suspicious of threads like this is you fail to even attempt to account for other federal taxes, let alone state taxes, which tend to make the overall tax burden still progressive but hardly a free ride for the poorest.

We lost any realistic opportunity to move to a flatter, or sales tax, when Steve Forbes lost the primary to W, but a more transparent tax scheme would be better.

There's a reason thread like this bring out shit eaters as yourself.

There's a reason thread like this bring out shit eaters as yourself.
and like you,,,

Liberal Democracies must always seek to balance the right to pursue one's ambitions with the needs of those who can't compete. The former is taxed to support the latter, often leaving those in the middle in a precarious position. As America trends toward a majority of tax-filers who pay little or no federal income tax - currently about half - we increase the point where they are incentivized to vote for those who promise to "spread the wealth," not by making them more productive but by eating the rich. Those in the middle are invariably shoved closer to the bottom because there just isn't enough wealth - and never could be - to satisfy the needs and demands of the bottom half.

"A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." - A.F. Tytler
Your timing is … questionable, considering the unemployment figures and corporate welfare...
Yanno, as soon as someone says "corporate welfare" I know the rest of the post is equally or even more worthless.

the first would be the older they get the less chance they will have to pay back the debts they create and dump it on future generations,,
another would be the longer they are there the more they can profit from their legislation as we've seen from many of them now,,

another would be the longer they are there the bigger power trip they get from controlling other peoples lives,,,

No, I listened. I don't disagree that a lot of them use their positions to take advantage of opportunities to make wads of money. The debt concerns me too.

Your timing is … questionable, considering the unemployment figures and corporate welfare...
Yanno, as soon as someone says "corporate welfare" I know the rest of the post is equally or even more worthless.
We are in the process of transferring hundreds of billions on dollars to the shareholders of corporations. While that includes us little guys who are blessed with 401ks and the like, the majority is owned by the 1%. Meanwhile, ten million hourly workers just got fired, and that will increase by tens more of millions in the next four weeks or so … BEST CASE SCEANRIO.
sO try a new WHINE

Leave OldLady alone. She's alright..when she's sleeping. Oh!
But seriously, at least she thinks sometimes.

Leave OldLady alone. She's alright..when she's sleeping. Oh!
But seriously, at least she thinks sometimes.
she might think sometimes,,,I just wish that time was when shes here on this forum,,,

No, I listened. I don't disagree that a lot of them use their positions to take advantage of opportunities to make wads of money. The debt concerns me too.
What did I say? OL has some lucid moments. :beer:

That is why a fair flat tax, no exceptions, no excuses, no exemptions is the way to go. Everyone no matter the source of income has skin in the game!
I've heard this mentioned before. Cruz promoted it in '16. Would we lose tax$$ from the rich, though, if there wasn't a higher tax on them?

a fair flat tax of 25% means the rich will always pay more than the poor.
Holy shit. 25% and then on top of it state taxes and FICA and Medicare tax and ..... That's a little steep, isn't it, for someone like me who pays 12% now?
No, if you expect others to pay high taxes it’s only fair that you do it too. If 25% is too high for you then pick a number you like but apply it to absolutely everyone and remember, no matter the percentage rate the rich will always pay more than you do. Fair Flat Tax.
IF it included complete Universal Healthcare from birth to death and no $144 p/month premium and $-- however much for a necessary Part C plan and STILL copays, then I'd pay 25%. If it got the country out of hock. And if the flat tax also included the FICA and Medicare taxes. Not sure I could live on what was left, though. I've never been on the dole. Would that mean people just over the poverty level like me would suddenly need to start looking for handouts?

OldLady, you seem like a genuinely nice person, and unlike the hardcore leftists on here, you tend to be open to discussion on controversial subjects. You also write with relatively clear diction and syntax, indicating you are educated--more so than many of the liberals on here. Which made your comment that you're living "just over the poverty level" jump out to me. Although I suppose that somewhat explains your political predilections--which I've previously wondered about considering my above observations--I also wondered why that was the case. I mean no disrespect or insult in asking, it's a sincere question. You just seem like someone who would have done well for herself financially.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back