The three choices Truman had. Was there really any choice?

I always thought it was about ending the war with Japan while sending a message to the USSR that basically said, "Don't fuck with America."

Japan
Statistics justified the use of an atom bomb over invasion with conventional weapons - more would die on both sides if we had invaded.vs nuked them.

USSR
They were posturing a lot and war with them was a possibility. I thought the hidden message we were sending by dropping a 2nd bomb was to essentially prove to the USSR that we had more than one and we're not afraid to use them.

There was some doubt as to whether or not America really had the bomb, that the bomb worked, that we had more than one bomb, and that we had the will to drop the bomb.

The attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki answered all of these questions.
. The main thing is that it got Japan aboard the Arizona to surrender, and that says it all.
The deck of the USS Missouri was where the instrument of surrender was signed. The Arizona was and still is underwater.

Why not drop it on Imperial Army positions instead of civilian concentrations? That would have demonstrated the situation to everyone while at least remaining somewhat unjustifiable.
All possible targets were chosen primarily on their industrial, transportation and military value.
Atomic Bomb: Decision -- Target Committee, May 10-11, 1945
Scroll down to table of contents (in blue) and select D: Status of Targets.

I read through this and it seems Hiroshima and Nagasaki were legitimate war-related targets. I'm just happy Kyoto didn't get hit.
The man who saved Kyoto from the atomic bomb - BBC News
I think that decision and the reasons behind it were just.

Much industry had moved to a cottage setting as our bombing continued. The real problem is that many Americans think of the Japanese like the Germans and Italians and when they see they have no chance they surrender. Many Japanese, did not think that way but would rather die than surrender. They thought of soldiers that surrendered as no longer soldiers. It was one reason they treated pow's badly, and one reason they committed suicide rather than surrender.

Why not drop it on Imperial Army positions instead of civilian concentrations? That would have demonstrated the situation to everyone while at least remaining somewhat unjustifiable.
All possible targets were chosen primarily on their industrial, transportation and military value.

I read through this and it seems Hiroshima and Nagasaki were legitimate war-related targets. I'm just happy Kyoto didn't get hit.

Which reasons?

I always thought it was about ending the war with Japan while sending a message to the USSR that basically said, "Don't fuck with America."

Japan
Statistics justified the use of an atom bomb over invasion with conventional weapons - more would die on both sides if we had invaded.vs nuked them.

USSR
They were posturing a lot and war with them was a possibility. I thought the hidden message we were sending by dropping a 2nd bomb was to essentially prove to the USSR that we had more than one and we're not afraid to use them.

There was some doubt as to whether or not America really had the bomb, that the bomb worked, that we had more than one bomb, and that we had the will to drop the bomb.

Try to keep up. All of these have been addressed already.
Admittedly didn't bother to read other posts. I'll jump out and shower off.
The guy is obviously very sensitive about the subject for obvious reasons. Your post was just fine.

Which reasons?
Read the article.

After you whined about me not keeping up I went back today and read every post and every link and learned nothing new.

I learned some people just cannot have an intelligent and objective discussion without being belligerent; that racism and claims of racism are tiring; and that a lot of us can cite "facts" but the truth is we don't and maybe won't ever know what truly occurred in history let alone what might have been if we had acted differently.

I knew about the stuff you talked about regarding Japan wanted to surrender, I knew about the theories that Japan was beat already. And I don't doubt the claims of racism being a decisive factor in a lot of what some people do, even world leaders. The OP brought up stuff I wasn't aware of and found interesting. But in the end a forum is about expressing opinions and my opinion after taking everything in is the same.- nuking Japan was justified and using that to preempt a war with the Soviets sounds reasonable and rational.

I appreciate perspective and information provided by others but when it comes in the form of hate, anger.and aggression it's just tiring. I like debating, I don't like bickering.

Japan

USSR

The guy is obviously very sensitive about the subject for obvious reasons. Your post was just fine.

Which reasons?
Read the article.

After you whined about me not keeping up I went back today and read every post and every link and learned nothing new.

I learned some people just cannot have an intelligent and objective discussion without being belligerent; that racism and claims of racism are tiring; and that a lot of us can cite "facts" but the truth is we don't and maybe won't ever know what truly occurred in history let alone what might have been if we had acted differently.

I knew about the stuff you talked about regarding Japan wanted to surrender, I knew about the theories that Japan was beat already. And I don't doubt the claims of racism being a decisive factor in a lot of what some people do, even world leaders. The OP brought up stuff I wasn't aware of and found interesting. But in the end a forum is about expressing opinions and my opinion after taking everything in is the same.- nuking Japan was justified and using that to preempt a war with the Soviets sounds reasonable and rational.

I appreciate perspective and information provided by others but when it comes in the form of hate, anger.and aggression it's just tiring. I like debating, I don't like bickering.

So, which reasons?

Japan

USSR

Which reasons?
Read the article.

So, which reasons?
You tell me

Which reasons?
Read the article.

So, which reasons?
You tell me

Your own words. You didn't know what you meant?

The real reason the US dropped the bombs on Japan IMO. After the Yalta conference, it is important to know that is when the official COLD WAR began with the USSR. It is important to know WHEN that was. February of 1945. Ok? About 6 months before the Hiroshima bomb.

The USSR (Stalin) was making a power move. Yalta became controversial after Soviet-American wartime cooperation degenerated into the cold war. Stalin broke his promise of free elections in Eastern Europe and installed governments dominated by the Soviet Union. Then American critics charged that Roosevelt, who died two months after the conference, had “sold out” to the Soviets at Yalta.

Stalin was not stopping there. He was also encroaching in the Far East. The valuable trade routes were certainly catching his attention. It is apparent that there were clandestine meetings going on between Japan and the USSR. I am sure Stalin was negotiating for Japan to surrender to him and Japan would be able to save some face with the Japanese people. Making it attractive to the emperor.

This is the interesting timeline.

February 1945 the Yalta Conference where the official COLD WAR began.

August 6th 1945, the US drops bomb on Hiroshima.

August 8th 1945, the USSR declares WAR ON JAPAN after invading Japan after the USSR invades Manchuria.

August 9th 1945, second bomb dropped on Japan.

August 15th 1945, Japan surrenders and ends WWII.

Now, imagine this if you are in Truman's shoes. It is rather obvious the USSR was pushing its weight around and trying to take Japan. Stalin counting on the fact that the US could not stomach another long drawn out war. Not with Japan (that was over) but with the USSR.

Patton had seen this and wanted to go to war with the USSR. He rightfully pointed out that the USSR would be a major problem, and their army was greatly weakened. Many of their war factories were bombed where the US war factories were in perfect working order. The US Armed forces hardware were already in the region and so the logistics were pretty much in place.

Politically, it would have been impossible for Truman to sell that to the American people. Stalin counted on that and he used that as an opportunity to take Japan.

So, what are the choices?

1. Allow Japan to just surrender to Stalin and the USSR takes over the region even though they had NOT fought in that campaign and lost no one. How would that have been sold to the American people?

2. Go to war with the USSR like Patton wanted. The US would most likely have won the war, but we would not have had an ally in the UK who were decimated. It would have cost hundreds of thousands of lives. The USSR Army, while greatly weakened would have been very tough to beat. How would that have been sold to a war weary American public?

3. Drop the bombs to get the USSR to back the hell off. Sell it like it has been sold all of these years. It is true that it would have saved thousands of American lives. Just not with Japan, but with a HOT conflict with the USSR.

Those are the choices. What do you do? It is important to remember that the "axis and allies" of WWII was done after the Yalta Conference. That is precisely when the COLD WAR began. No longer at the time of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were the USSR and the US allies.

What do you do?

See how right Patton was about the USSR?

FDR was a Stalin sock puppet who gleefully enslaved Eastern Europe under the thumb of his M\aster, Uncle Joe and sold out China to Mao

Ah the Right Wing Nut Jobs will never forgive FDR for leading the United States to victory in World War 2.
The sad remnant of a rational politician that democrats lied to the American public about and ran for a 4th term led the United States into the mess we had to deal with in Korea and the Cold War when FDR became infatuated with the Stalinist regime.

The real reason the US dropped the bombs on Japan IMO. After the Yalta conference, it is important to know that is when the official COLD WAR began with the USSR. It is important to know WHEN that was. February of 1945. Ok? About 6 months before the Hiroshima bomb.

The USSR (Stalin) was making a power move. Yalta became controversial after Soviet-American wartime cooperation degenerated into the cold war. Stalin broke his promise of free elections in Eastern Europe and installed governments dominated by the Soviet Union. Then American critics charged that Roosevelt, who died two months after the conference, had “sold out” to the Soviets at Yalta.

Stalin was not stopping there. He was also encroaching in the Far East. The valuable trade routes were certainly catching his attention. It is apparent that there were clandestine meetings going on between Japan and the USSR. I am sure Stalin was negotiating for Japan to surrender to him and Japan would be able to save some face with the Japanese people. Making it attractive to the emperor.

August 8th 1945, the USSR declares WAR ON JAPAN after invading Japan after the USSR invades Manchuria.

Now, imagine this if you are in Truman's shoes. It is rather obvious the USSR was pushing its weight around and trying to take Japan. Stalin counting on the fact that the US could not stomach another long drawn out war. Not with Japan (that was over) but with the USSR.

Patton had seen this and wanted to go to war with the USSR. He rightfully pointed out that the USSR would be a major problem, and their army was greatly weakened. Many of their war factories were bombed where the US war factories were in perfect working order. The US Armed forces hardware were already in the region and so the logistics were pretty much in place.

Politically, it would have been impossible for Truman to sell that to the American people. Stalin counted on that and he used that as an opportunity to take Japan.

1. Allow Japan to just surrender to Stalin and the USSR takes over the region even though they had NOT fought in that campaign and lost no one. How would that have been sold to the American people?

2. Go to war with the USSR like Patton wanted. The US would most likely have won the war, but we would not have had an ally in the UK who were decimated. It would have cost hundreds of thousands of lives. The USSR Army, while greatly weakened would have been very tough to beat. How would that have been sold to a war weary American public?

3. Drop the bombs to get the USSR to back the hell off. Sell it like it has been sold all of these years. It is true that it would have saved thousands of American lives. Just not with Japan, but with a HOT conflict with the USSR.

Those are the choices. What do you do? It is important to remember that the "axis and allies" of WWII was done after the Yalta Conference. That is precisely when the COLD WAR began. No longer at the time of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were the USSR and the US allies.

What do you do?

FDR was a Stalin sock puppet who gleefully enslaved Eastern Europe under the thumb of his M\aster, Uncle Joe and sold out China to Mao

Ah the Right Wing Nut Jobs will never forgive FDR for leading the United States to victory in World War 2.
The sad remnant of a rational politician that democrats lied to the American public about and ran for a 4th term led the United States into the mess we had to deal with in Korea and the Cold War when FDR became infatuated with the Stalinist regime.
Ah the Right Wing Nut Jobs will never forgive FDR for leading the United States to victory in World War 2.[

What do you do?

Ah the Right Wing Nut Jobs will never forgive FDR for leading the United States to victory in World War 2.[

^^^^^^ More idiotic lefty bullshit. ^^^^

What do you do?

Just pointing it out like I do every time the Right Wing want to re-write history.

The Right Wing Nut Jobs will never forgive FDR for leading the United States to victory in World War 2.

Or for social security, unemployment benefits, bank depositors insurance or the GI Bill.

Just pointing it out like I do every time the Right Wing want to re-write history.

"Re-write" how?

What do you do?
Do exactly what Truman did

Forum List

Back