CDZ The Threat to Free Speech is Universal.

• Banned
^ A culture of fear is undermining ordinary people’s freedom of expression, as a new report into self-censorship in the US attests.

The headline statistic of the report, produced by the Cato Institute, is that 62 per cent of Americans agree with the statement, ‘The political climate these days prevents me from saying things I believe because others might find them offensive’. This figure has risen from 58 per cent in 2017.

No doubt about it. I hope I'm not wishful thinking here, but I am seeing some pushback on this, and hopefully it will be successful.

Freedom of expression is our most liberal, "American" value, and it's clearly under attack by illiberal authoritarians who have changed how we communicate. These people will say that there are "consequences" for speaking your mind, but issuing "consequences" is not a requirement. You COULD just honor this liberal philosophy and let others speak unencumbered, without fear, without threats of reprisal, without punishment, without intimidation. THAT is what freedom of expression is about.

If you're not willing to let others speak their mind, you must not have enough confidence in your message. You must be afraid.

Free speech is a natural right and the first amendment merely states that congress can make no law restricting it. On the other hand society has always had rules for what is acceptable. For most of our history open racism was acceptable. Scorn, ostracism and worse was often the reward for anyone who suggested that the white man was not God's appointed lord of creation. When the racist pukes controlled the dialog on race talking equality could get you hurt. Now here we have the same kind of people crying that times have changed and free speech is under attack. Excuse me if I feel very little sympathy. Racist types have a long history of violently shutting people up. Their views are deviant and never in the interest of what society currently values.

Free speech is a natural right and the first amendment merely states that congress can make no law restricting it. On the other hand society has always had rules for what is acceptable. For most of our history open racism was acceptable. Scorn, ostracism and worse was often the reward for anyone who suggested that the white man was not God's appointed lord of creation. When the racist pukes controlled the dialog on race talking equality could get you hurt. Now here we have the same kind of people crying that times have changed and free speech is under attack. Excuse me if I feel very little sympathy. Racist types have a long history of violently shutting people up. Their views are deviant and never in the interest of what society currently values.
I still want to know who they are, where they are, what they think, and (perhaps most importantly) who agrees with them. That can't happen without freedom of expression.

This is a big part of how Trump was elected. People who were sick of being attacked and punished and intimidated for their opinions took their frustrations to the polls.

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for those we despise, we don't believe in freedom of expression".
Noam Chomsky

211b10.jpg

~S~

I still want to know who they are, where they are, what they think, and (perhaps most importantly) who agrees with them. That can't happen without freedom of expression.

This is a big part of how Trump was elected. People who were sick of being attacked and punished and intimidated for their opinions took their frustrations to the polls.

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for those we despise, we don't believe in freedom of expression".
Noam Chomsky
When everyone has the ability to potentially reach millions of people freedom of expression becomes weighted with civic responsibility rather than just being an individual right. The problem here is people want to preach hatred yet somehow be insulated from blow back or responsibility for what their words might do when they are shouted through the megaphone that is the internet.

No doubt about it. I hope I'm not wishful thinking here, but I am seeing some pushback on this, and hopefully it will be successful.

Freedom of expression is our most liberal, "American" value, and it's clearly under attack by illiberal authoritarians who have changed how we communicate. These people will say that there are "consequences" for speaking your mind, but issuing "consequences" is not a requirement. You COULD just honor this liberal philosophy and let others speak unencumbered, without fear, without threats of reprisal, without punishment, without intimidation. THAT is what freedom of expression is about.

If you're not willing to let others speak their mind, you must not have enough confidence in your message. You must be afraid.
Oh Brother....LOL *rolls eyes*

The problem is the left has defined any viewpoint that doesn't match their own as racist/sexist/homophobic etc.

Support Cops? Racist. Don't believe in Affirmative Action? Racist. Believe in due process for those accused in universities of sexual misconduct? Sexist. Believe in free exercise of Religion? Homophobic. Think only biological women should compete in women's sports? Transphobic.

Last edited:

even if you dont like what they say? Allot of people say the same thing you just said, bjt they dont practace what they preach. if 62% of people are afraid to say what theybthink because a minority will cry about then that have no right to complaine about it. speak out, or cower. its ones own choice.

even if you dont like what they say? Allot of people say the same thing you just said, bjt they dont practace what they preach. if 62% of people are afraid to say what theybthink because a minority will cry about then that have no right to complaine about it. speak out, or cower. its ones own choice.
Agreed. They'll always be the first to say, "well, yeah, freedom of speech and all, but...."

Agreed. They'll always be the first to say, "well, yeah, freedom of speech and all, but...."

and it works. a good example is the KKK. look back at the political power they had, then look at them now. No one had to expose them, they did them selves in. all anyone had to do was put them on TV. free speech killed them, not a political party, law enforcement, it was 100% them. free speech works fine.

You mean like the Congressional Hearing with Attorney General Barr when a dozen Democrats SILENCED Barr so they could just get on their soapbox and attack him?

It’s not so much the Establishment dictating what should be deemed acceptable, but your peers, people you meet in everyday life, your friends even. They don’t merely disagree, but condemn you for your views. Call you names too.

For example, there’s an English guy near me who calls everyone who wanted to leave the EU, a dickhead.

Forum List

Back