The Tender Bar

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Watched it last night.
A coming of age movie based on the memoirs of a journalist.
The best thing was probably the flashbacks and "I remember those!" when watching the movie as it is set in the 1970s-80s.
The only thing I had the most trouble with was George Clooney had to add in some wokeness. When the movie reveals his interest in a girl - she was black. And her parents were also inter racial. I thought... in the 1970s?... so I looked it up and sure enough she wasn't black. The real Sidney is white and both parents are white.
Other than that, the movie wasn't bad. Nothing special. Somewhat interesting, but jumps around a lot and leaves a lot of doors unopened.
It might have been better if directed by someone else. And without the gratuitous wokeness that is obvious.

You seemed to marvel at the idea of inter-racial couples in the 1970's. I was merely pointing out that the idea has been around since, well... since the 1970's...
I was alive then, and old enough to remember.
Unfortunately interracial couples back then were widely considered as taboo. Especially white girls with black boys.
We are past that as a society with few exceptions today. Thankfully.
I only take issue when Hollywood feels it is necessary to add gratuitous political messaging.

Watched it last night.
A coming of age movie based on the memoirs of a journalist.
The best thing was probably the flashbacks and "I remember those!" when watching the movie as it is set in the 1970s-80s.
The only thing I had the most trouble with was George Clooney had to add in some wokeness. When the movie reveals his interest in a girl - she was black. And her parents were also inter racial. I thought... in the 1970s?... so I looked it up and sure enough she wasn't black. The real Sidney is white and both parents are white.
Other than that, the movie wasn't bad. Nothing special. Somewhat interesting, but jumps around a lot and leaves a lot of doors unopened.
It might have been better if directed by someone else. And without the gratuitous wokeness that is obvious.

wokeness? This seems to be the latest attack on our language. So if a movie is about an interracial marriage it's wokey?

wokeness? This seems to be the latest attack on our language. So if a movie is about an interracial marriage it's wokey?
What?
I didn't infer any such thing.
If you read the post, I said Clooney injected interracial relationship where it didn't exist. The movie is based on a memoir by the same title. A real persons life. In his life the Sidney girl is white, as are both of her parents. So why change her to be another race?
Why make her parents interracial also?
If someone makes a fictional story and has interracial relationships in it... I don't think a thing. I have absolutely no problem whatsoever of putting in minority actors. They should. Not doing so is wrong.
But if you make non fiction films based on true stories... then tell the story as it happened. Don't inject things you want to see that didn't happen. That absolutely leads to other types of political messaging. In the movie Aeronaughts, a historical piece about the story of James Glaisher and how he is the pioneer of modern meteorology. They injected a woman named Amelia Wren, who is the hero of the story, showing Glaisher to be weak and fearful and would have died if not for her. She is not even a real person. There was a person who rode with Glaisher on that fateful day in history. A man. They left out his part so they could inject a woman in it. Anyone watching this movie that says "inspired by a true story" is going to walk away thinking that Glaisher shouldn't even be credited for setting a world record and changing the science of meteorology - she should be!

What?
I didn't infer any such thing.
If you read the post, I said Clooney injected interracial relationship where it didn't exist. The movie is based on a memoir by the same title. A real persons life. In his life the Sidney girl is white, as are both of her parents. So why change her to be another race?
Why make her parents interracial also?
If someone makes a fictional story and has interracial relationships in it... I don't think a thing. I have absolutely no problem whatsoever of putting in minority actors. They should. Not doing so is wrong.
But if you make non fiction films based on true stories... then tell the story as it happened. Don't inject things you want to see that didn't happen. That absolutely leads to other types of political messaging. In the movie Aeronaughts, a historical piece about the story of James Glaisher and how he is the pioneer of modern meteorology. They injected a woman named Amelia Wren, who is the hero of the story, showing Glaisher to be weak and fearful and would have died if not for her. She is not even a real person. There was a person who rode with Glaisher on that fateful day in history. A man. They left out his part so they could inject a woman in it. Anyone watching this movie that says "inspired by a true story" is going to walk away thinking that Glaisher shouldn't even be credited for setting a world record and changing the science of meteorology - she should be!
I just wanted to know what you meant by the word wokeness in your statement "The only thing I had the most trouble with was George Clooney had to add in some wokeness." I keep seeing this word and it seems to mean different things to different people.

I believe the word originated in the black community as a cautionary watchword of Black Lives Matter meaning keeping a watch for police brutality and unjust police tactics. It now seems to have a different meaning.

I just wanted to know what you meant by the word wokeness in your statement "The only thing I had the most trouble with was George Clooney had to add in some wokeness." I keep seeing this word and it seems to mean different things to different people.

I believe the word originated in the black community as a cautionary watchword of Black Lives Matter meaning keeping a watch for police brutality and unjust police tactics. It now seems to have a different meaning.
Wokeness is a word that doesn't need explanation. It is a phrase instantly understood by everyone except those that want to bury their head in the sand and pretend not to see it.
It doesn't mean anything different except to those that want to complicate it. Or deny it's validity.

Forum List

Back