The Temptations

Papa Was A Rolling Stone was my fav.

All those guys that played the parts...excellent. I cried when Melvin died.

They all played their parts very well, especially in some of the choreography, however the way that Melvin died in the movie was fictionalized, as was Paul Williams death. But overall, they made it a very entertaining story.
Their deaths were sad, period. What a waste with David. The movie didn't hint about cycle cell either, which paul died of mainly but it didn't help he was an aloholic too. The whole thing made me sad at the end when they were all on stage..to an empty audience. Hit home, the loss.

They all played their parts very well, especially in some of the choreography, however the way that Melvin died in the movie was fictionalized, as was Paul Williams death. But overall, they made it a very entertaining story.
Their deaths were sad, period. What a waste with David. The movie didn't hint about cycle cell either, which paul died of mainly but it didn't help he was an aloholic too. The whole thing made me sad at the end when they were all on stage..to an empty audience. Hit home, the loss.

All of the original 5, except for Otis Williams died young tragically in their early 50's.

Actually David Ruffin has a little known of son (David Ruffin Jr.) who sounds very much like him.
His mother, Genna Sapia Ruffin, who is an acquaintance of mine, has written and published a few interesting books about the Temptations, from an insider perspective.

Ruffin was SMOOTH. At least, the guy that played him in the movie was so I presume he studied Ruffin before playing the part.

I just loved the whole movie.

Screw the left coast Hollywood version fake bullshit from post #3.

It's garbage.

Here's the real deal north coast Motown version.

Last edited:
Ruffin was SMOOTH. At least, the guy that played him in the movie was so I presume he studied Ruffin before playing the part.

I just loved the whole movie.

The guy that played Ruffin was Leon Robinson.

According to what I was told, he was initially supposed to play the role of Otis Williams, because it was actually Otis who approached Robinson to be in the movie.

Robinson thought he would be better as David, so they took his advice.

They ALL were excellent. I was very much infatuated with Melvin, lol. David made me swoon when he sang and danced. :adoreheart:

They ALL were excellent. I was very much infatuated with Melvin, lol. David made me swoon when he sang and danced. :adoreheart:

I'm fortunate enough to have seen the originals perfom live quite a few times, and the guys in the movie did an exceptional job in their individual roles and also as a group. If you liked the movie this DVD is a must have:

Amazon product

Forum List

Back