The Stories Behind The Most Popular Banned Songs

That is not what the song is about.

The song is about a girl who wouldn't give a boy the time of day, and when he becomes a star. he asks, "How do you like me now?"

When I was in high school, I couldn't get most girls to give me the time of day. Then at my 5-year class reunion I showed up sans glasses, wearing my Navy dress uniform (this was shortly after the movie "Officer and a Gentleman" came out), with a beautiful blonde wife on my arm. I was easily the most popular guy at the reunion. I couldn't help thinking, "How do you like me now?'
And he wrote here name on the 50 yard line and call for a good time. So he didn't deserve for her to give him the time of day -- because he was an asshole. Also, the song is from his point of view, with him somehow knowing things about her that he could not or should not have know unless he was stalking her (after high school). My thinking is that he didn't really know that she was in an unhappy marriage in which her husband worked all the time, but in his mind that was true. The persona of the song is an asshole. Is Toby Keith an asshole, I don't know.... but if he is like the persona narrating the lyrics of the song, he is.

^^^ Even if it isn't in the most flattering way, the woman could still say "Thank you." for his thinking that she was worth acknowledging at all period.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. To me, no matter how challenging things may get, the only way to keep from losing every last marble that you have in your possession is to never forget the good that is in your life.

^^^ Even if it isn't in the most flattering way, the woman could still say "Thank you." for his thinking that she was worth acknowledging at all period.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. To me, no matter how challenging things may get, the only way to keep from losing every last marble that you have in your possession is to never forget the good that is in your life.
Thank him for writing her name on the 50 yard line and writing call for a good time. I don't think so. So he basically called her a slut in front of the high school if I understand the connotation of "call for a good time". Does he ever apologize for that... well no!

^^^ Was she nice when showing him that she wasn't interested in going out with him? No. Therefore, if he wasn't wanted in such a game, why was he shown how to play it? In other words, if a person can't take it, don't go dishing it out to begin with.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

^^^ Was she nice when showing him that she wasn't interested in going out with him? No. Therefore, if he wasn't wanted in such a game, why was he shown how to play it? In other words, if a person can't take it, don't go dishing it out to begin with.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
Actually we have no way of knowing because we never hear her side of the story. All we get is his side and to me he comes off as a jerk.

We don't know that she dished out other than turning him down for a date.

^^^ The way that she told him "No," is what makes her the word that I can't say.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
How did she tell him "no"? And don't go by the music video, go by the lyrics of the song. Music videos often do not match up to the lyrics in the song.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was always the crazy one broke into the stadium
And I wrote your number on the 50 yard line
You were always the perfect one and a valedictorian
So under your number I wrote "Call for a good time"
I only wanted to get your attention
But you over looked me somehow
Besides you had too many boyfriends to mention
And I played my guitar too loud

How do you like me now?
How do you like me now?
Now that I'm on my way
Do you still think I'm crazy
Standing here today?
I couldn't make you love me
But I always dreamed about livin' in your radio
How do you like me now?

When I took off to Tennessee
I heard that you made fun of me
Never imagined I'd make it this far
Then you married into the money girl
Ain't it a cruel and funny world?

He took your dreams, and he tore them apart
He never comes home, and you're always alone
And your kids hear you cry down the hall
Alarm clock starts ringin' who could that be singin'
It's me baby, with your wake up call

How do you like me now?
How do you like me now?
Now that I'm on my way
Standing here today?
But I always dreamed about living in your radio
How do like me now? Yeah
How do you like me now?

Now that I'm on my way
Standing here today?
But I always dreamed about living in your radio
How do you like me now?
Tell me, baby
I will preach on

How did she tell him "no"? And don't go by the music video, go by the lyrics of the song. Music videos often do not match up to the lyrics in the song.
Actually the song lyrics don't mention that he ever asked her out. He simply tried to get her attention by writing her name on the 50 yard line and call for a good time. Not a good way to impress a girl in my book.

"I only wanted to get your attention, but you overlooked me somehow." Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but you know anyone who considers being overlooked as a way of saying "Yes."? I am asking because I do not.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

"I only wanted to get your attention, but you overlooked me somehow." Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but you know anyone who considers being overlooked as a way of saying "Yes."? I am asking because I do not.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
In the song, he doesn't even ask her out. I am critiquing the song, not the video.

But to your question, being overlooked isn't saying no either. It is a non-answer from her, perhaps since the lyrics don't even have him asking.

And he wrote here name on the 50 yard line and call for a good time. So he didn't deserve for her to give him the time of day -- because he was an asshole. Also, the song is from his point of view, with him somehow knowing things about her that he could not or should not have know unless he was stalking her (after high school). My thinking is that he didn't really know that she was in an unhappy marriage in which her husband worked all the time, but in his mind that was true. The persona of the song is an asshole. Is Toby Keith an asshole, I don't know.... but if he is like the persona narrating the lyrics of the song, he is.
Was she an asshole by ignoring him? Yes. Two can play at that game.

You really need to get rid of that emotional baggage. It's heavy and out of style.

Personally, I believe folks are way too sensitive... Lyrics are open to interpretation... What someone may read into a song, someone else reads something entirely different...
Way to sensitive...

^^^ I second everything that you say especially about lyric interpretation. Toby Keith, since we are on the subject of him, once talked about the video for his song named "Who's That Man" and he said that when making that video, he was careful not to show where the guy was coming from when there are so many reasons why a guy might ask, "Who's that man running my life."

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Was she an asshole by ignoring him? Yes. Two can play at that game.

You really need to get rid of that emotional baggage. It's heavy and out of style.
No. That is a very proper way to handle someone you don't like. She didn't owe him anything, including her attention.

Personally, I believe folks are way too sensitive... Lyrics are open to interpretation... What someone may read into a song, someone else reads something entirely different...
Way to sensitive...
You are right, I'm calling the song the way I hear it. Lyrics are open to interpretation. As far as being to sensitive, 99.99% of the time I never think about this song and it certainly doesn't keep me awake at night.

I guess I'm kind of bias because I've come across people that always seem to blame their woes on someone else but don't take responsibility for their own actions.

So the song starts out with the guy writing the girl's name and call for a good time. That is not the way to endear yourself to a girl's heart. So why doesn't the girl like him, he essentially called the girl a slut in front of the whole high school.

So later if the guy wants the girl to like him, the way to do that is an apology, not singing.shouting "Look at me now" through the radio.

Forum List

Back