The Statistics of the Pandemic

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
There is one number that we read about every day that drives me crazy.

Every morning there is a breathless headline about the total number of "cases," and how it has INCREASED since yesterday!

This is nonsense.

And here's why: Let's say I get a positive test today. Chances are I will either have no symptoms at all, or get some mild symptoms and be in bed for a couple days. Maybe I'll die. But regardless, after a period of time I will have recovered from the disease, I will get a negative result, and I AM NO LONGER CONTAGIOUS OR SICK.

But my positive test is still counted among the mountain of U.S. "cases." Who gives a fuck?

The only relevant and important number with respect to "cases" is the number of people who are CURRENTLY POSITIVE FOR THE DISEASE. It seems to me that after some period of time, it should be presumed that each and every recorded "case" is no longer applicable. One way or another, the person is no longer POSITIVE.

If "we" tracked this information, then it would be possible to assess the current situation w/r/t the disease. This week we have X number of people who are CURRENTLY TESTING POSITIVE. Then if the number goes up that is a noteworthy development, as would be the number decreasing.

The CDC records about 7.5 million "cases." So what? It is meaningless.

Every morning there is a breathless headline about the total number of "cases," and how it has INCREASED since yesterday!

This is nonsense.

And here's why: Let's say I get a positive test today. Chances are I will either have no symptoms at all, or get some mild symptoms and be in bed for a couple days. Maybe I'll die. But regardless, after a period of time I will have recovered from the disease, I will get a negative result, and I AM NO LONGER CONTAGIOUS OR SICK.

But my positive test is still counted among the mountain of U.S. "cases." Who gives a fuck?

The only relevant and important number with respect to "cases" is the number of people who are CURRENTLY POSITIVE FOR THE DISEASE. It seems to me that after some period of time, it should be presumed that each and every recorded "case" is no longer applicable. One way or another, the person is no longer POSITIVE.

If "we" tracked this information, then it would be possible to assess the current situation w/r/t the disease. This week we have X number of people who are CURRENTLY TESTING POSITIVE. Then if the number goes up that is a noteworthy development, as would be the number decreasing.

The reported stats for death due to COVID-19 SARS are even more skewed than that. One poor soul (male, age 57) in a local nursing home, due to mental and physical disability and family unable to care for him, died from choking to death. The virus had previously hit that nursing home and he'd tested positive for it a week or so earlier. Listed cause of death? COVID-19 SARS. Death toll is currently around .029 globally, and will most likely be reduced significantly as more and more test positive and live, even with many continuing to actually die from it, or those dying from something else all together but tallied in the mix as in my real-life example.

Last edited:

This is nonsense.

People who get it are tested several times. Each positive test counts as a “new confirmed case”.

This is nonsense.

It is not meaningless to the democrats and blue belly republicans. Not at all. For them this number is a powerful political tool and an even more efficacious weapon of fear.

This is nonsense.

People who get it are tested several times. Each positive test counts as a “new confirmed case”.
Wow-that's just plain nuts if factual. What type of idiots are running this tracking procedure? I just checked a source that shows that the total number of cases to date according to the CDC (not a fan personally but will go ahead and give their info since they're quoted a lot) 7,436,278 and US deaths (which has been proven to include people dying from other causes) at 209,566. That means their "findings" show a .028 death rate. With what we know, that's higher than factual. An agenda is in the mix leading the cart.

And here's why: Let's say I get a positive test today. Chances are I will either have no symptoms at all, or get some mild symptoms and be in bed for a couple days. Maybe I'll die.
That depends on whether or not you've been "served" and court-ordered for involuntary quarantine and treatment. It might even be a governmnt-mandated execution and cremation of the body in order to prevent the infection from spreading on the theory of greatest good and most lives saved.
But regardless, after a period of time I will have recovered from the disease, I will get a negative result, and I AM NO LONGER CONTAGIOUS OR SICK
In any case your civil rights are permanently revoked even if you are no longer contagious or sick, because the fact remains that you were "served" with a diagnosis and court-ordered for treatment, and you are therefore considered "at risk" for non-compliance and spreading illness or disease for the rest of your life.

This is nonsense.

But my positive test is still counted among the mountain of U.S. "cases."
everything you post is "NONSENSE"
This is the abject STUPIDITY you have to deal with on the Right!!!!!
#USA
State
Total
Cases
New
Cases
Total
Deaths
New
Deaths
Total
Recovered
Active
Cases
Tot Cases/
1M pop
Deaths/
1M pop
Total
Tests
Tests/
1M pop
PopulationSourceProjections
USA Total7,722,746215,8224,935,5452,571,37923,331652113,319,318342,352

Some people have symptoms of COVID-19. Others have been served at law with an official diagnosis of COVID-19. A few have been subjected to distraint and summons to appear for mandatory quarantine and court-ordered treatment. A diagnosis, once served, is by law irrevocable, as the statute on diagnosis and treatment of COVID-19 specifies no remedy for recovery at law from the aforementioned disease.

This is nonsense.

Equine Excrement:

I love that "Active Cases" number. I've never seen it before. It is relevant.

This is nonsense.

But my positive test is still counted among the mountain of U.S. "cases."
everything you post is "NONSENSE"
This is the abject STUPIDITY you have to deal with on the Right!!!!!
#USA
State
Total
Cases
New
Cases
Total
Deaths
New
Deaths
Total
Recovered
Active
Cases
Tot Cases/
1M pop
Deaths/
1M pop
Total
Tests
Tests/
1M pop
PopulationSourceProjections
USA Total7,722,746215,8224,935,5452,571,37923,331652113,319,318342,352

Aside from the Active cases, the Total recovered cases are also showing there. So I don't really get your point TS.

This is nonsense.

The reported stats for death due to COVID-19 SARS are even more skewed than that. One poor soul (male, age 57) in a local nursing home, due to mental and physical disability and family unable to care for him, died from choking to death. The virus had previously hit that nursing home and he'd tested positive for it a week or so earlier. Listed cause of death? COVID-19 SARS. Death toll is currently around .029 globally, and will most likely be reduced significantly as more and more test positive and live, even with many continuing to actually die from it, or those dying from something else all together but tallied in the mix as in my real-life example.
Yeah, the only person in America who had COVID and died but didn't die from it was George Floyd.

Forum List

Back