The Stasi Part II, Why Canada Can't be Trusted: No charges, no trial, but presumed guilty

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
A good article that exposes the Canadian system for all to see. These actions are being conducted against Canadians, far worse than benign listening in to peoples communications that have no consequences unless you are a terrorist, this is life long bans on citizens pursuits, all due to unfounded, unprosecuted allegations. Some from young, untrained, Confidential Informants or unaccountable covert police.

As is known here as I have not been shy about this, I blew the whistle on Canadian police in American corporations in Canada. It has come at great cost, but I my effectiveness has grown. The RCMP and their surrogates operating without accountability in Canada they actively and aggressively tamper with HR departments, place Canadians in executive and management positions. Placing people within the workforce to push unions and other employee unrest in an effort to undermine foreign business successes and competition to Canadian companies.

There is a massive cost to democracy and liberty. This cost goes well beyond just Canadian citizens. America business leaders and politicians need to be aware of this, as well as Libertarians who realize that by osmosis there are states and cities in America who could be at risk of following Canadas Eastern Bloc tactics. I already see "Canadianism" coming from the youth in California.

No charges, no trial, but presumed guilty | Toronto Star

It was to be Gordon Sinclair’s last chance.

At 46, after decades of getting by on contracts in the animation industry and then working long hours as a chef, he decided to pursue a career that matched his abilities to his passion. He enrolled in George Brown College to become a nurse.

“I was excited,” says Sinclair, now 50. “I wanted to go to Africa and work with Doctors Without Borders. Those plans have all been ruined.”

In 2011, with thousands of dollars spend on tuition and two semesters on the Dean’s Honour List, Sinclair was forced out of the program when charges from 20 years before showed up on a mandatory police check.

The charges — he had been rounded up in a raid on the comic book store where he worked — were never proven and were dismissed by a judge. By any measure, Gordon Sinclair was and is innocent.

Hundreds of thousands of Canadians — perhaps millions — are vulnerable to seeing their ambitions crushed, reputations ruined and livelihoods shattered because of a lack of legislation across Canada to dictate what information police can or cannot release, a Star investigation has found.

The situation has become critical, as more and more employers, volunteer groups, licensing bodies, governments and universities are requiring police checks that frequently disclose so-called non-conviction records — everything from simple contacts with police and 911 mental health calls to charges that were dropped, withdrawn or led to not-guilty verdicts due to lack of evidence.

Detailed interviews with nearly a dozen Canadians with such records include an Ottawa man who lost a career with Air Canada — even though he was never charged or convicted of any crime — because police years earlier took note of him with a suspected drug dealer in the low income neighbourhood where he grew up.

A B.C. woman’s 911 calls during family arguments were noted on her police record and now prevent her from volunteer and professional work and trigger problems when crossing the U.S. border.

A Caledon man has abandoned his dream of being a firefighter after he was removed from a trainee position because his police check detailed a childhood friendship with a suspected drug dealer, even though he himself had no contact with police.

All three were unaware they had police records until they were required to provide background checks to prospective employers.

RELATED: Canadians stunned to learn they have police records, despite never being found guilty

“This is an issue that should greatly concern all Ontarians, since it really could happen to anyone,” says Jacqueline Tasca, policy analyst with the John Howard Society of Ontario ’s Centre of Research, Policy and Program Development. “Most people don’t know what a police record includes, and how common police records actually are. Many people have police records that they do not even know about.”

The Toronto Police Service, for example, received nearly 110,000 requests last year from professional and volunteer organizations — a 92-per-cent increase over five years ago.

“The consequences of releasing non-conviction information can be devastating,” says Abby Deshman, a director with the Canadian Civil Liberties Association (CCLA).

“It is hard enough to get a job, volunteer experience or higher education. Trying to do these things with a non-conviction entry on your record results in closed doors and lost opportunities.”

Both the CCLA and the John Howard Society of Ontario are releasing reports on the issue today that argue the presumption of innocence is being undermined by a patchwork of guidelines across police forces in Canada and a lack of legal framework governing what information is released.

Read the John Howard Society of Ontario report here.

Read the CCLA report here.

Together, they call for tighter control over the release of non-conviction records and say the information should be withheld except in cases in which the disclosure would address a significant public safety threat.

As many as one in three Canadians have some form of non-conviction record sitting in police computers, the CCLA report says.

In Ontario, the criminal court system processes more than half-a-million charges annually. Last year, 43 per cent of adult cases resulted in stayed or withdrawn charges, the John Howard research found. All those individuals, despite not being found guilty of anything, have records in police computers.

More than half of employers surveyed by the John Howard Society in Hastings and Prince Edward counties require police background checks of prospective employees during hiring. And half of those employers had a police record check come back positive in the previous year.

The only explanation for the steady growth of background requests to the Toronto police is that “organizations that previously didn’t ask for (background checks) are asking,” says police spokesperson Mark Pugash.

The growth appears to be continuing unabated.

A parent committee of the Toronto District School Board recently floated a motion that if adopted would make police record checks mandatory for hundreds of volunteers accompanying their children and grandchildren on field trips.

Police policies for disclosing non-conviction records vary widely across Canada.

Alberta, Saskatchewan and Newfoundland have guidelines that differ on how much information can be released while Manitoba, Quebec and Nova Scotia have no clear policies, the CCLA study says.

I have a friend who is ex Special Forces. You know, the Green Berets. He retired from the Army. He got a job working where I did, which is how we met.

He had a lot of difficulty getting his TWIC card. These are Department of Homeland Insecurity cards that allow you to work or conduct business in transportation related locations. Because terrorism or something.

It was delayed for months. His application for a Concealed Weapons Permit was denied. He had no convictions on his records. No arrests either. His lawyer told him why.

Ex Military people are on watch lists. They have the skills and training to be extremely dangerous. The Government watches them closely. His purchases would be monitored. His phone calls and emails would be screened. My friend, the Patriot, the guy who spent twenty years defending the nation is a danger according to the people who trained him.

My friend was furious. I laughed and told him I've known that for years. It takes an hour to get my license renewed.

Eventually he got his cards and permits. He is adapting to the idea of always being under the microscope.

So I understand your frustration. I've been on that list for decades. When I flew home to bury my mother I had no idea if I would be allowed to fly until I was passed through security to the planes.

We have the illusion of freedom we are allowed to have. Canada is in the same boat. I'm sorry to see that. My belief is always maximum privacy and freedom. It just doesn't jibe with the maximum security and monitoring that the Governments around the world have implemented.

It isn't going to change for the better. You are right. It is Stasi type tactics. It is not freedom or liberty or anything like that. It's wrong. It's an abomination.

But Canada is not unique. It may be worse in some areas, and better in others. But if we have learned anything from the leaks about what the Big Five intelligence nations are doing, it is that freedom is a joke, and privacy is an illusion. We are all guilty of something. We are all suspected of something.

Fight for freedom. Argue for the traditions and core beliefs our ancestors fought for. But don't pretend that your nation is alone in depriving people of their rights or due process. I wish they were. I wish they were the only ones. I really wish that no one was.

If wishes were fishes.

I have a friend who is ex Special Forces. You know, the Green Berets. He retired from the Army. He got a job working where I did, which is how we met.

He had a lot of difficulty getting his TWIC card. These are Department of Homeland Insecurity cards that allow you to work or conduct business in transportation related locations. Because terrorism or something.

It was delayed for months. His application for a Concealed Weapons Permit was denied. He had no convictions on his records. No arrests either. His lawyer told him why.

Ex Military people are on watch lists. They have the skills and training to be extremely dangerous. The Government watches them closely. His purchases would be monitored. His phone calls and emails would be screened. My friend, the Patriot, the guy who spent twenty years defending the nation is a danger according to the people who trained him.

My friend was furious. I laughed and told him I've known that for years. It takes an hour to get my license renewed.

Eventually he got his cards and permits. He is adapting to the idea of always being under the microscope.

So I understand your frustration. I've been on that list for decades. When I flew home to bury my mother I had no idea if I would be allowed to fly until I was passed through security to the planes.

We have the illusion of freedom we are allowed to have. Canada is in the same boat. I'm sorry to see that. My belief is always maximum privacy and freedom. It just doesn't jibe with the maximum security and monitoring that the Governments around the world have implemented.

It isn't going to change for the better. You are right. It is Stasi type tactics. It is not freedom or liberty or anything like that. It's wrong. It's an abomination.

But Canada is not unique. It may be worse in some areas, and better in others. But if we have learned anything from the leaks about what the Big Five intelligence nations are doing, it is that freedom is a joke, and privacy is an illusion. We are all guilty of something. We are all suspected of something.

Fight for freedom. Argue for the traditions and core beliefs our ancestors fought for. But don't pretend that your nation is alone in depriving people of their rights or due process. I wish they were. I wish they were the only ones. I really wish that no one was.

If wishes were fishes.

Canadian police are abusing NAFTA and violating American businesses in ways you wouldn't imagine. You had better hope this administration has the stomach to renegotiate this deal drastically or get out altogether. If not, you will continue to get fleeced.

If wishes were fishes.

Canadian police are abusing NAFTA and violating American businesses in ways you wouldn't imagine. You had better hope this administration has the stomach to renegotiate this deal drastically or get out altogether. If not, you will continue to get fleeced.

My friend. Everyone is abusing everything.

If wishes were fishes.

Maybe some run and hide and remain docile to abuses by immoral police, I certainly will not. There are far more people willing to stand up for principle than those unwilling to.

This is why Trump ran and won on "Make America Great Again". The abuses of America have become so broad and excessive that citizens are demanding change. If not from Trump, it will come from his replacement. The pendulum has swung too far in one direction, and it's a major risk to not only Americas economic sovereignty, but also global individual liberty.

If we can't stand on principle and character to that which is wrong, when have the ability to unselfishly affect change, than what value do we serve?

If wishes were fishes.

Maybe some run and hide and remain docile to abuses by immoral police, I certainly will not. There are far more people willing to stand up for principle than those unwilling to.

This is why Trump ran and won on "Make America Great Again". The abuses of America have become so broad and excessive that citizens are demanding change. If not from Trump, it will come from his replacement. The pendulum has swung too far in one direction, and it's a major risk to not only Americas economic sovereignty, but also global individual liberty.

If we can't stand on principle and character to that which is wrong, when have the ability to unselfishly affect change, than what value do we serve?

The election of 2016 was literally a perfect storm. Trump would have lost to just about any other candidate. Fortunately it was the weakest candidate that the Democrats could screw the voters with.

Trump is already running into the walls that contain any change. Having done what he can with executive orders he's now stuck trying for legislation. The sad part is that most of the Republicans are only slightly more supportive of Trump than the Democrats.

Forum List

Back