The South American slave trade.

South-American-Slave-Trade-317x204.jpg

Histories of the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade typically focus on those enslaved in the North American colonies and often overlook its Southern counterpart. However, those enslaved in North America during the colonial period were a minority; only 6% of Africans were taken to the East Coast of North America between 1500 and 1870.

Slave imports from Africa were overwhelmingly taken to South America and the Caribbean. Although the Southern United States is renowned for its past brutality towards the slave population, those enslaved in areas such as Brazil, Colombia and Bolivia experienced a much harsher reality.

I noticed that the British writers left out what the English did with all their enslaved humans.

Histories of the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade typically focus on those enslaved in the North American colonies and often overlook its Southern counterpart. However, those enslaved in North America during the colonial period were a minority; only 6% of Africans were taken to the East Coast of North America between 1500 and 1870.

Slave imports from Africa were overwhelmingly taken to South America and the Caribbean. Although the Southern United States is renowned for its past brutality towards the slave population, those enslaved in areas such as Brazil, Colombia and Bolivia experienced a much harsher reality.

I noticed that the British writers left out what the English did with all their enslaved humans.

As you’re here to tell us, go ahead. :up:

European jews mainly financed the slave trade to the America's, making huge profits on their investment.
But weren't about to get their hands dirty by running the plantations. ... :cool:

In 1619, the Dutch introduced the first captured Africans to America, planting the seeds of a slavery system that evolved into a nightmare of abuse and cruelty that would ultimately divide the nation.
Although not taught in school, it was the Dutch Jews who started and ran the African slave trade in both North and South America. .... :cool:
Portuguese Jews financed the first W. African expedition and built the first sugar plantations off of the coast of W. Africa. An Island they named Sao Tome around 1470.

Informative.

In 1619, the Dutch introduced the first captured Africans to America, planting the seeds of a slavery system that evolved into a nightmare of abuse and cruelty that would ultimately divide the nation.
Although not taught in school, it was the Dutch Jews who started and ran the African slave trade in both North and South America. .... :cool:

You again?

Not interested.

The Jewish people arrived in Recif from Amsterdam in the 1500s.. much earlier than 1619. They became stockholders in the Dutch West Indies Company and expanded their interests to owning ships to import-export and brokerage as well as insuring cargo. I think they were called "factors".

They were clever and industrious. I don't think you can fault them for seeking their fortunes in the New World.

European jews mainly financed the slave trade to the America's, making huge profits on their investment.
But weren't about to get their hands dirty by running the plantations. ... :cool:

You again?

Not interested.

The Jewish people arrived in Recif from Amsterdam in the 1500s.. much earlier than 1619. They became stockholders in the Dutch West Indies Company and expanded their interests to owning ships to import-export and brokerage as well as insuring cargo. I think they were called "factors".

They were clever and industrious. I don't think you can fault them for seeking their fortunes in the New World.
That era of discovery, trade, had multiple contributing factors.
-The fall of Constantinople to the Ottomans, which made going East on the Med Sea more dangerous.
-Getting a copy of the N. African slave trade routes south to Timbuktu.
-Advancements in sea navigation, ship building for the open Ocean (Portuguese built to first ships to do this), vs the Med Sea only.
-Finding willing trading partners for a seemingly endless supply of slaves.

As you’re here to tell us, go ahead. :up:

They did run the plantations early on.. That's why they were called "Sugar Jews".

Our part in slavery was wrong. What any other country did doesn't change that.
Yes, but we could have been far far worse like most everyone else--------------
Really? That's what you're gonna go with? It could have been worse? I'm sure that is a perfectly acceptable justification for slavery at your white supremacist rallies.

Really? That's what you're gonna go with? It could have been worse? I'm sure that is a perfectly acceptable justification for slavery at your white supremacist rallies.
Explaining global slavery, why it happened is not justifying it you wacko. Stop putting words in other people's mouths. And yes it could have been worse, 400,000 Chinese slaves died building their Great Wall.

I thought the Jews were a big part in creating the slave trade. I recently seen some articles on that. But like OP said, I don't think she is interested in the Jewish slave trade. Although that is another rabbit hole to go down.

Many of the Spanish traders were, pretty much all of those were Sephardics, but most of the financing came for the Spanish Crown, the Papal Treasury, and assorted aristocrats and wealthy plantation owners. In numbers, there were very few Jews overall. The main slave trading posts were on the Gold Coast, and the traders had to compete for slaves with several local rulers, who bought them to mine gold and farm.

Raymond Kea is an historian who wrote extensively on the African economy in medieval times and later, and has a book specifically on the Gold Coast trade, not just in slaves but other goods as well, mostly handled by the Dutch. The Muslim slave trade was far more extensive, and they practiced full frontal castration of male slaves and killed them all when they were too old to work or unaffordable for whatever reason, which is why you see hardly any blacks in the ME despite thousands of years of an active slave trade.

They were Sephardic. When they left Spain many went to Amsterdam and because they were apparently knowledgeable about irrigation they signed on the Dutch West Indies Company and went to Brazil to manage the Sugar Plantations which were basically failing up till then.. The archives in both Holland and Recif are a rich source of ship's names and ownership (stockholders) as well as cargo manifests, passengers and their occupations.

Muslims didn't have plantations and did not keep many slaves because they couldn't feed them.

You find black Muslims more in coastal areas from trade with East Africa and the Indus Valley much, much earlier than the 1500s... (300 AD) Many of the Barbary Coast pirates were European renegades.

Jews didn't all leave Spain, and Muslims had a slave economy. In any case, private ship owners could be and were hired for other countries' trading expeditions. Columbus was an Italian, not a Spaniard, for instance. You find blacks in Muslim countries that didn't murder them all, and outside the ME Muslim countries. The vast majority of the Barbary Coast pirates were Arabs and north african muslims.

Explaining global slavery, why it happened is not justifying it you wacko. Stop putting words in other people's mouths. And yes it could have been worse, 400,000 Chinese slaves died building their Great Wall.

Yes. On the other hand, 10's of thousands of white German and Irish laborers died building the levees around New Orleans and along the Mississippi River; slaves were too valuable to be risked on that kind of work. Their skeletons are still buried in the levees, as they were simply just covered over where they dropped dead. The dangerous work on the cotton boats was the same, the slaves getting the easy and less dangerous loading and unloading jobs while the white laborers did the heavy and dangerous work. Fredrick Law Omstead, the Yankee architect and noted abolitionist, reported on this in his travel diary about his trip through the South to Texas and back.

I thought the Jews were a big part in creating the slave trade. I recently seen some articles on that. But like OP said, I don't think she is interested in the Jewish slave trade. Although that is another rabbit hole to go down.

Many of the Spanish traders were, pretty much all of those were Sephardics, but most of the financing came for the Spanish Crown, the Papal Treasury, and assorted aristocrats and wealthy plantation owners. In numbers, there were very few Jews overall. The main slave trading posts were on the Gold Coast, and the traders had to compete for slaves with several local rulers, who bought them to mine gold and farm.

Raymond Kea is an historian who wrote extensively on the African economy in medieval times and later, and has a book specifically on the Gold Coast trade, not just in slaves but other goods as well, mostly handled by the Dutch. The Muslim slave trade was far more extensive, and they practiced full frontal castration of male slaves and killed them all when they were too old to work or unaffordable for whatever reason, which is why you see hardly any blacks in the ME despite thousands of years of an active slave trade.

They were Sephardic. When they left Spain many went to Amsterdam and because they were apparently knowledgeable about irrigation they signed on the Dutch West Indies Company and went to Brazil to manage the Sugar Plantations which were basically failing up till then.. The archives in both Holland and Recif are a rich source of ship's names and ownership (stockholders) as well as cargo manifests, passengers and their occupations.

Muslims didn't have plantations and did not keep many slaves because they couldn't feed them.

You find black Muslims more in coastal areas from trade with East Africa and the Indus Valley much, much earlier than the 1500s... (300 AD) Many of the Barbary Coast pirates were European renegades.

Jews didn't all leave Spain, and Muslims had a slave economy. In any case, private ship owners could be and were hired for other countries' trading expeditions. Columbus was an Italian, not a Spaniard, for instance. You find blacks in Muslim countries that didn't murder them all, and outside the ME Muslim countries. The vast majority of the Barbary Coast pirates were Arabs and north african muslims.

Barbary Pirates and English Slaves - Historic UK

For over 300 years, the coastlines of the south west of England were at the mercy of Barbary pirates (corsairs) from the coast of North Africa, based mainly in the ports of Algiers, Tunis and Tripoli.

Their number included not only North Africans but also English and Dutch privateers. Their aim was to capture slaves for the Arab slave markets in North Africa.

Remembering the Barbary Slaves: White Slaves and North ...

In the 13th and 14th centuries, it was Christian pirates, primarily from Catalonia and Sicily, that dominated the seas, posing a constant threat to merchants.

It was not until the expansion of the Ottoman Empire in the 15th century that the Barbary corsairs started to become a menace to Christian shipping.

Around 1600 AD, European pirates brought advanced sailing and shipbuilding techniques to the Barbary Coast, which enabled the corsairs to extend their activities into the Atlantic Ocean, and the impact of Barbary r…

New Topics

Forum List

Back