The South American slave trade.

This is something they definitely won't tell us on the MSM or in the education systems. Thanks for sharing! :)

The local labor pool was decimated by warfare and disease, but they also ran away. The Sugar plantations in Recif, Brazil date to 1500.

The Jewish Community of Recife - Museum of the Jewish ...

Jews arrived in Recife after the year 1500, when the Portuguese landed at what is now Brazil. Recife, capital of the State of Pernambuco in northeastern Brazil, became a prosperous center for sugar production in the 16th and 17th centuries. Part of Recife’s population consisted of New Christians (Jewish converts to Christianity).

Excerpt:

Most Jews of Recife during this period were of Sephardic origin. The society they came to live in was similar to the society they came from in terms of style and language.

The Jews of Recife at this time were active as financiers, brokers, sugar exporters and suppliers of African slaves. Their congregation, Tzur Israel, maintained a synagogue, the religious schools Talmud Torah and Etz Chayim, and a cemetery.

In 1645, the Portuguese, joined by Brazilian sympathizers, started a guerilla war that led to the defeat of the Dutch and the reconquest of northeastern Brazil. It remained under Portuguese rule until the independence of Brazil in 1822. After 1654, the Jewish community disintegrated and those who had openly professed their Judaism now fell victim to the Inquisition. Most of the Recife Jews left Brazil together with the Dutch.

These emigrants developed the sugar industry of the Dutch Antilles. After many difficulties, twenty-three of these emigrants arrived in New Amsterdam, where they founded the first Jewish community of what later became the town of New York.

As of the middle of the 18th century, the Portuguese enabled the New Christians to mingle with the rest of the population, until their traces disappeared as they became completely assimilated.

I realise this is your thing, but I’m not interested in talking about Jews.

Their history is very important in the Transatlantic trade of sugar, rum and guano.

Only to you.

My ancestors were Dutch sea captains and sailors who worked for the Dutch West Indies company in the early 1600s so yes it is important.

It’s not the premise of my OP.

I’m not making it personal.

I didn't accuse you of that.

This is something they definitely won't tell us on the MSM or in the education systems. Thanks for sharing! :)

The local labor pool was decimated by warfare and disease, but they also ran away. The Sugar plantations in Recif, Brazil date to 1500.

Jews arrived in Recife after the year 1500, when the Portuguese landed at what is now Brazil. Recife, capital of the State of Pernambuco in northeastern Brazil, became a prosperous center for sugar production in the 16th and 17th centuries. Part of Recife’s population consisted of New Christians (Jewish converts to Christianity).

Excerpt:

Most Jews of Recife during this period were of Sephardic origin. The society they came to live in was similar to the society they came from in terms of style and language.

The Jews of Recife at this time were active as financiers, brokers, sugar exporters and suppliers of African slaves. Their congregation, Tzur Israel, maintained a synagogue, the religious schools Talmud Torah and Etz Chayim, and a cemetery.

In 1645, the Portuguese, joined by Brazilian sympathizers, started a guerilla war that led to the defeat of the Dutch and the reconquest of northeastern Brazil. It remained under Portuguese rule until the independence of Brazil in 1822. After 1654, the Jewish community disintegrated and those who had openly professed their Judaism now fell victim to the Inquisition. Most of the Recife Jews left Brazil together with the Dutch.

These emigrants developed the sugar industry of the Dutch Antilles. After many difficulties, twenty-three of these emigrants arrived in New Amsterdam, where they founded the first Jewish community of what later became the town of New York.

As of the middle of the 18th century, the Portuguese enabled the New Christians to mingle with the rest of the population, until their traces disappeared as they became completely assimilated.

Their history is very important in the Transatlantic trade of sugar, rum and guano.

Only to you.

My ancestors were Dutch sea captains and sailors who worked for the Dutch West Indies company in the early 1600s so yes it is important.

No

I’m accusing you.

Excerpt:

Only to you.

No

I’m accusing you.

Of what? If you don't like history, don't post about about.. You don't get to sugar coat it.

Irish roots in the Caribbean run deep | IrishCentral.com

May 19, 2017 · “In 1629 a large group of Irish men and women were sent to Guiana, and by 1632, Irish were the main slaves sold to Antigua and Montserrat in the West Indies. By 1637 a …

Excerpt:

Krystal D’Costa of Scientific American writes that after the Battle of Kinsale, the Irish clan system was abolished and around 30,000 prisoners of war were shipped off and sold as laborers to the colonies of the Caribbean and United States.

“The first Irish slaves were sold to a settlement on the Amazon River In South America in 1612. It would probably be more accurate to say that the first “recorded” sale of Irish slaves was in 1612, because the English, who were noted for their meticulous record-keeping, simply did not keep track of things Irish, whether it be goods or people, unless such was being shipped to England.”

This would become a common practice after the Proclamation of 1625.

“In 1629 a large group of Irish men and women were sent to Guiana, and by 1632, Irish were the main slaves sold to Antigua and Montserrat in the West Indies. By 1637 a census showed that 69% of the total population of Montserrat were Irish slaves, which records show was a cause of concern to the English planters.”

The Aztecs, Incas, and almost every other tribe of 'natives' practiced slavery, and they also enjoyed long drawn out tortures of captives, and took great pride and prestige in devising the most excruciating and lengthy tortures they could dream up. In early America, escaped slaves in Louisiana and Mississippi that were captured by indians would beg British traders to buy them and return them to their former owners.

In 1619, the Dutch introduced the first captured Africans to America, planting the seeds of a slavery system that evolved into a nightmare of abuse and cruelty that would ultimately divide the nation.
It really was not a nightmare of abuse and cruelty. A black ship on the first ship to Jamestown became a wealthy slave owner himself. Early on especially it was common to free slaves after a number of years. After the cotton gin was when the need for more slaves on larger plantations became the norm. For the first 100 plus years 1/2 to 2/3rds of all Europeans that came to to the were indentured servants.

The Caribbean Sugar plantations slaves had short life spans, nothing like the USA/Colonies. Those were corporate like plantations.

In 1619, the Dutch introduced the first captured Africans to America, planting the seeds of a slavery system that evolved into a nightmare of abuse and cruelty that would ultimately divide the nation.
It really was not a nightmare of abuse and cruelty. A black ship on the first ship to Jamestown became a wealthy slave owner himself. Early on especially it was common to free slaves after a number of years. After the cotton gin was when the need for more slaves on larger plantations became the norm. For the first 100 plus years 1/2 to 2/3rds of all Europeans that came to to the were indentured servants.

The Caribbean Sugar plantations slaves had short life spans, nothing like the USA/Colonies. Those were corporate like plantations.

Yep. They did have a short life span. They were worked to death.

Excerpt:

Only to you.

No

I’m accusing you.

Of what? If you don't like history, don't post about about.. You don't get to sugar coat it.

Irish roots in the Caribbean run deep | IrishCentral.com

May 19, 2017 · “In 1629 a large group of Irish men and women were sent to Guiana, and by 1632, Irish were the main slaves sold to Antigua and Montserrat in the West Indies. By 1637 a …

Excerpt:

Krystal D’Costa of Scientific American writes that after the Battle of Kinsale, the Irish clan system was abolished and around 30,000 prisoners of war were shipped off and sold as laborers to the colonies of the Caribbean and United States.

“The first Irish slaves were sold to a settlement on the Amazon River In South America in 1612. It would probably be more accurate to say that the first “recorded” sale of Irish slaves was in 1612, because the English, who were noted for their meticulous record-keeping, simply did not keep track of things Irish, whether it be goods or people, unless such was being shipped to England.”

This would become a common practice after the Proclamation of 1625.

“In 1629 a large group of Irish men and women were sent to Guiana, and by 1632, Irish were the main slaves sold to Antigua and Montserrat in the West Indies. By 1637 a census showed that 69% of the total population of Montserrat were Irish slaves, which records show was a cause of concern to the English planters.”

I don’t mean to be rude, but I shan’t be responding to you again.

Your trademark is all over USMB, and it’s not honest.

I’m interested in the difference between Latin America and the United States, and what came after the abolitions.

Our part in slavery was wrong. What any other country did doesn't change that.
That isn't what the OP thinks.

Christians wrapped slavery up in notions about Ham in the Old Testament. That seems to be the prevailing justification for slavery.
Odd, but the OP seems to think other country's slavery justifies our slavery.
The OP never claimed justification. You seem mad that pointing out that slavery was global and much worse in other countries.

I thought the Jews were a big part in creating the slave trade. I recently seen some articles on that. But like OP said, I don't think she is interested in the Jewish slave trade. Although that is another rabbit hole to go down.

Many of the Spanish traders were, pretty much all of those were Sephardics, but most of the financing came for the Spanish Crown, the Papal Treasury, and assorted aristocrats and wealthy plantation owners. In numbers, there were very few Jews overall. The main slave trading posts were on the Gold Coast, and the traders had to compete for slaves with several local rulers, who bought them to mine gold and farm.

Raymond Kea is an historian who wrote extensively on the African economy in medieval times and later, and has a book specifically on the Gold Coast trade, not just in slaves but other goods as well, mostly handled by the Dutch. The Muslim slave trade was far more extensive, and they practiced full frontal castration of male slaves and killed them all when they were too old to work or unaffordable for whatever reason, which is why you see hardly any blacks in the ME despite thousands of years of an active slave trade.

Christians wrapped slavery up in notions about Ham in the Old Testament. That seems to be the prevailing justification for slavery.
The OP never claimed justification. You seem mad that pointing out that slavery was global and much worse in other countries.

That‘s right.

I’m not into justification. Or changing the narrative to suit one’s own subjective feelings about the issue.

I’m interested in the difference between Latin America and the United States, and what came after the abolitions.
Do you know how many countries you are talking about? Slavery aside there has always been a difference between the Anglosphere and Latin America.

Cuz Amurka and white Xians iz da mos evul peeps evar. According to tards and faggots anyway. He also fails to mention most of Africa had to be forced to renounce slavery by white countries, and many still carry on an active slave trade anyway even today. Blacks as a demographic never opposed slavery.

Do you know how many countries you are talking about? Slavery aside there has always been a difference between the Anglosphere and Latin America.

Am I right in saying Jim Crow did not apply to Latin America? No one seems to know.

which is why you see hardly any blacks in the ME despite thousands of years of an active slave trade.

I’ve seen lots of white Arabs in Nazareth. Blondes with blue eyes. Some even red haired , with freckles.

Descendants of white slaves, and the Crusaders. (Not the group)

After massive slave riots in the 12th century, Slavs became the slaves of choice in the ME. They killed most of the black slaves, and then started the practice of full frontal castrations of all black males before they could be imported into Arab countries, to prevent breeding. Some estimates are that 90% of them died from the operation, which seems probable.

I thought the Jews were a big part in creating the slave trade. I recently seen some articles on that. But like OP said, I don't think she is interested in the Jewish slave trade. Although that is another rabbit hole to go down.

Many of the Spanish traders were, pretty much all of those were Sephardics, but most of the financing came for the Spanish Crown, the Papal Treasury, and assorted aristocrats and wealthy plantation owners. In numbers, there were very few Jews overall. The main slave trading posts were on the Gold Coast, and the traders had to compete for slaves with several local rulers, who bought them to mine gold and farm.

Raymond Kea is an historian who wrote extensively on the African economy in medieval times and later, and has a book specifically on the Gold Coast trade, not just in slaves but other goods as well, mostly handled by the Dutch. The Muslim slave trade was far more extensive, and they practiced full frontal castration of male slaves and killed them all when they were too old to work or unaffordable for whatever reason, which is why you see hardly any blacks in the ME despite thousands of years of an active slave trade.

They were Sephardic. When they left Spain many went to Amsterdam and because they were apparently knowledgeable about irrigation they signed on the Dutch West Indies Company and went to Brazil to manage the Sugar Plantations which were basically failing up till then.. The archives in both Holland and Recif are a rich source of ship's names and ownership (stockholders) as well as cargo manifests, passengers and their occupations.

Muslims didn't have plantations and did not keep many slaves because they couldn't feed them.

You find black Muslims more in coastal areas from trade with East Africa and the Indus Valley much, much earlier than the 1500s... (300 AD) Many of the Barbary Coast pirates were European renegades.

The origins of slavery are lost to human memory. It is sometimes hypothesized that at some moment it was decided that persons detained for a crime or as a result of warfarewould be more useful if put to work in some way rather than if killed outright and discarded or eaten. But both if and when that first occurred is unknown.

Britannica.com

Forum List

Back