The Source of Viking Cruises' Money

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I am a many-time traveler on Viking cruises, both river and ocean. They spend money like a money-laundering operation, literally. They send us at least ten full-color brochures every week, some of them quite elaborate and large.

During the Pandemic, all of their key employees were made whole. If their home country provided income, Viking supplemented it. If not, Viking just paid them. They are constantly building new ships, and price/cost is no obstacle. Their cruise fares are better than anyone else, when you sort through the details. They often include airfare with the price of the tickets. They provide a free excursion at every stop, and don't "nickel and dime" you for little shit.

They started cruising before anyone else after the Pandemic, and I was personally on a couple cruises where they had to lose a ton due to low passenger numbers.

The Wiki article (Viking Cruises - Wikipedia) hints that the founder relied on money from Russian oligarchs to get started, but he claims - and their representatives claim - that he bought them out early on.

Well, maybe.

I really don't care where they get their money from, but looking at them over the past several years, there is simply no rational explanation of how they can operate the way they do, unless they are laundering money from someone.

Just thought I'd mention it.

On the other hand, their Mississippi cruises are quite expensive, and I can't imagine many Americans would pay their rates for them - all of their marketing is to retired Americans.

I am a many-time traveler on Viking cruises, both river and ocean. They spend money like a money-laundering operation, literally. They send us at least ten full-color brochures every week, some of them quite elaborate and large.

During the Pandemic, all of their key employees were made whole. If their home country provided income, Viking supplemented it. If not, Viking just paid them. They are constantly building new ships, and price/cost is no obstacle. Their cruise fares are better than anyone else, when you sort through the details. They often include airfare with the price of the tickets. They provide a free excursion at every stop, and don't "nickel and dime" you for little shit.

They started cruising before anyone else after the Pandemic, and I was personally on a couple cruises where they had to lose a ton due to low passenger numbers.

The Wiki article (Viking Cruises - Wikipedia) hints that the founder relied on money from Russian oligarchs to get started, but he claims - and their representatives claim - that he bought them out early on.

Well, maybe.

I really don't care where they get their money from, but looking at them over the past several years, there is simply no rational explanation of how they can operate the way they do, unless they are laundering money from someone.

Just thought I'd mention it.

On the other hand, their Mississippi cruises are quite expensive, and I can't imagine many Americans would pay their rates for them - all of their marketing is to retired Americans.

My smokin' hot Puerto Rican girlfriend and I thought about one of their river cruises but, holy fuck, they're spendy. Their 15 day cruise from St. Paul MN to New Orleans is $13,000 per person.

I'd rather do a two week Mediterranean cruise on Royal Caribbean for $2,700 per person. Even with first class airfare it comes in a Helluva lot less than $13,000 a piece...

Forum List

Back