The Sensitive, New Age Man

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Hey, Guys, Grow A Spine
By Tom Purcell, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
December 10, 2006

Ah, yes, the gift-giving season. So what do you get for the contemporary fellow who has everything? The Man Bag.

The Man Bag is a high-style satchel -- a purse, though its creators hate when you call it that. It has pockets for the modern man's wallet, keys, sunglasses, iPod, cell phone, body spray, hair goop, diary and whatever other junk he totes around these days.

Why was the Man Bag created? As it goes, three fellows -- Brian, Peter and Thai -- "were tired of being ribbed for carrying their gadgets around in handbags. The torment reached a boiling point one night when Thai was called a 'pursey' at a party."

That rude fellow was lucky Thai didn't yet have a sturdy Man Bag to swing at him.

In any event, the three soon created the Man Bag (they call theirs the MAN-n-BAG). The concept took off. ABC's "Nightline" refers to it as the latest trend in men's fashion. A GQ magazine style editor the entrepreneurs spoke with explained why:

for full article:
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/opinion/columnists/purcell/s_483337.html

You can call it a man-bag, you can call it a soft carrying case, call it whatever you want, there's no way in hell I'm ever carrying a purse.

I dont see the need. Everything in technology is getting smaller, anyway. On the average day of school, I can carry my cell phone, wallet, pencil, eraser,mp3 player, usually a few folded up papers, few pieces of hard candy, and maybe a pack of gum in my pocket without even noticing a difference.

Now on days where I need my makeup, I'll carry my purse (joke).

Of course, with all that stuff in my pockets I've gotten some wide-eyed looks from a few ladies.

I dont see the need. Everything in technology is getting smaller, anyway. On the average day of school, I can carry my cell phone, wallet, pencil, eraser,mp3 player, usually a few folded up papers, few pieces of hard candy, and maybe a pack of gum in my pocket without even noticing a difference.

Now on days where I need my makeup, I'll carry my purse (joke).

Of course, with all that stuff in my pockets I've gotten some wide-eyed looks from a few ladies.

What, no pocket knife and hanky?

What, no pocket knife and hanky?

I don't know about the hankie, but a pocket knife currently counts as a weapon in government schools (Semper is still in H.S.). I knew a guy who got expelled for carrying around a very tiny pocketknife (blade wasn't any more than 1").

Edit: If I ever see somebody carrying a man-purse, I'm going to start calling his wife's/girlfriend's purse "scrotum," because, chances are, she's keeping his nuts in there.

my man would rather cut his other brain off than carry a purse.

Some men might view these two actions as equivalent! ;)

If there's a situation where he needs to carry daily essentials he either uses a backpack or a laptop bag.

My husband carries a laptop bag to & from work. But it has taken a decade of marriage to get him to hold my purse between two fingers when I need a hand in public. :)

Lol! Mine too! They look like they're holding infectious waste.

Isn't it hilarious? The only other thing that was funnier is the way they hold babies at arms length and pass the kid back to US when the babies are stinky. My husband would always flare his nostrils and look like he was going to be sick. I always asked him, "If it smells that bad, why are you breathing through your nose instead of your mouth?" :cuckoo:

:D

uh...I think it's pretty slick.

web%20daytrek-fullsize%20large%20picture.jpg

:)

I never have anything to carry - but if I were traveling? I'd hit it.

Isn't it hilarious? The only other thing that was funnier is the way they hold babies at arms length and pass the kid back to US when the babies are stinky. My husband would always flare his nostrils and look like he was going to be sick. I always asked him, "If it smells that bad, why are you breathing through your nose instead of your mouth?" :cuckoo:

:D

Because if you breathe through your mouth, you taste it, and it gets in your lungs. I'd rather have my nose filter it at whatever cost to my smelling comfort. However, the quicker the problem is solved, that is, the quicker the wife can change the diaper, the better off we all are.

By the way, anyone know anyone looking for a nice guy to meet? Anyone? Please?

Because if you breathe through your mouth, you taste it, and it gets in your lungs. I'd rather have my nose filter it at whatever cost to my smelling comfort. However, the quicker the problem is solved, that is, the quicker the wife can change the diaper, the better off we all are.

This is where I miss the slapping smilie.

By the way, anyone know anyone looking for a nice guy to meet? Anyone? Please?

I do know some ladies, but they're all too old for you, Honey. :(

It's the male ego. I know, it's dumb, but it is ingrained in the male psyche from birth, and if you quash it, the man will never again truly be a man. Here's a few of the wierder rules of the male ego. Don't try to understand them (chances are, you can't), just try to remember them.

Do not make us hold your purse. A far as we're concerned, we might as well be holding your tampons.

Do not make us change the kid in public. Private is fine. Public is not. I know it makes no sense, but that's how it is.

No, we will not fetch you tampons. If we must, expect us to be late, as we have to find something to conceal the face and find a store with self-checkout that is far enough from home that none of our friends will see us.

If we're watching something with friends, find another TV, even if you just want to see 5 minutes worth. A man instinctually needs to air the impression that he is the master of the house, and will rarely relenquish the remote without a fight, provided there's somebody to watch (we're usually more pliable when we don't have an audience).

Yes, it's wierd, but it's not something we can help. Just learn to live with it, like we live with your obsession with things like scented soaps.

Forum List

Back