The sell off

When Romney is our President.

Do you think he will sell off Fed interest in Amtrak? Sell the USPS?

I do.

the PO is too much of a cash cow for them.....so i dont know about that one.....in the 33 years i have been there we have had many Republicans on the Unions "friends" list.....so not to sure about that one....

When Romney is our President.

Do you think he will sell off Fed interest in Amtrak? Sell the USPS?

I do.

the PO is too much of a cash cow for them.....so i dont know about that one.....in the 33 years i have been there we have had many Republicans on the Unions "friends" list.....so not to sure about that one....
If he sells off Amtrak, that could be a good thing. Unfortunately, it started out as a resource for connecting Americans by rail. It wound up disconnecting a number of small states by removing stations for economical reasons, forcing some states to lose all rail passenger service or forcing the population centers to have to travel over 100 miles to a tiny town to catch Amtrak. Locating the only station in a state to the lowest population area was like totally stupid, but that's what happened in Wyoming in the 70s. Everybody in the state but 3,000 people had to travel an average of 170 miles to get there. That's the average. Some people had to travel diagonally across the state 350 miles or more. After the 70s sometime, they removed even that one. That's taxation sans representation by way of Amtrak.

If he sells off the US Postal Service, that could be a not so good thing due to its necessary ties with Homeland Security. To sell that off to someone like Iran or whose shareholders were of a terrorist bent, that would be holy hell. If I were a Congresscritter, I'd really have to think about selling off the postal service. Benjamin Franklin started it off. He never got to be President, as he was a bit old by the time the union elected President Washington, so he would have had to wait 8 years, which would put him at the age of 97 in 1798. He died in 1790. Of all the founders, B. Franklin was one of the most revered due to his learned resourcefulness, his love for his fellowman, and his humility. Cancel the dear man's Post Office? I'd really have to think that one over, considering the great beneficence it has done to everyday citizens, National Security, and anyone who ever got an unexpected gift or card.

We need to keep in mind if we are ever terror-striken electronically by hackers bent on harming the nation we live in, we need other methods of communication. It wouldn't hurt each community to develop knowledge and use of carrier pigeons.

If we do lose our postal system, we'd be screwed. We're likely to lose it anyway if costs cannot be cut. If worse comes to worse, a sales stipulation of selling it to only people holding citizenship, with the possession revoked at death, conviction of treason, deportation, incarceration, or loss of citizenship.

Just sayin' :eusa_whistle:

Granny says tell `em to sell more stamps...
:eusa_shifty:
USPS says running out of cash
WASHINGTON, Oct. 17,`12 (UPI) -- The U.S. Postal Service said its line of credit at the Treasury Department is exhausted, although seasonal revenue should temporarily see it through.
The USPS has a $15 billion credit line, which was maxed out in late September, The Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday. The agency's debt load grew by $2.4 billion in the third quarter, USPS spokesman David Partenheimer said.

"Being at the limit is a serious situation because our limited liquidity does not give us operating flexibility," he said. "Without passage of comprehensive legislation as part of the Postal Service's business plan to return to financial stability, we continue to project low levels of cash," he said.

Both the holiday season and the national election should give the service positive cash flow for the short term. Beyond that, Congress will have to act to solve the agency's financial problems.

On top of the $15 billion line of credit, the postal service has defaulted on $11.1 billion in retiree healthcare payments. The financial troubles do not affect current retirees, just future retirees, the Journal said.

Read more: Cash-strapped U.S. Postal Service can squeak through holidays - UPI.com

The USPS put our local post office up for sale, and moved operations to what was originally built as an "annex" several years ago. Now everyone has to drive a mile out of town to mail a package or retrieve box mail.

The old building is protected under local historic designation, so there is a two-year window during which a buyer must comply with an ordinance that would require the building remain in tact and certain features retained. After that two year period, it will be available to anyone who wishes to tear it down.

Next door is a Huck's convenient market. They made an offer on the building with the intention of tearing it down, but it was recinded when historic status was granted. We're trying to save the building but there appears to be a lot of back-peddling and run-around hampering our efforts to find a suitable buyer who will actually preserve the building.

Amtrak? Hell yeah sell it off and raise the federal gasoline tax by $1.00/gallon.

Nope he won't sell of either. He might stop the subsidy so Piss Christ could travel the world and grace museums as an exhibition of American taste in art.

I agree he isn't a libertarian, or even a Milton Friedman style liberal. So privatization probably isnt i the cards.
But I hope he does. There is no reason the taxpayer has to subsidize the PO or Amtrack, both bloated union-ridden inefficient organizations. But I've said the same thing three different ways.

Forum List

Back