The scientist who discovered DNA explains why he believes in God.

Okay a couple of things
  1. He didn't discover DNA- he led the team that mapped out the genome. DNA had been known for years.
As the director of the Human Genome Project, I have led a consortium of scientists to read out the 3.1 billion letters of the human genome, our own DNA instruction book.

2. He believes in the general concept of God- and believes in evolution

So, some have asked, doesn't your brain explode? Can you both pursue an understanding of how life works using the tools of genetics and molecular biology, and worship a creator God? Aren't evolution and faith in God incompatible? Can a scientist believe in miracles like the resurrection?

Actually, I find no conflict here, and neither apparently do the 40 percent of working scientists who claim to be believers. Yes, evolution by descent from a common ancestor is clearly true. If there was any lingering doubt about the evidence from the fossil record, the study of DNA provides the strongest possible proof of our relatedness to all other living things.

I think that Dr. Collins has a deep personal faith- and that is what he relies upon for his belief in God. I have no problem with that- and it doesn't interfere with his search for scientific truths.

"Ultimately, a leap of faith is required."

In other words, he has no proof either.

Forum List

Back