The Role of Dreaming in Spirituality

Sky Dancer

Rookie
Jan 21, 2009
This topic has long interested me. Does your spiritual path include working with dreams?

In Buddhism, it does include training in "dream yoga" or lucid dreaming.

What's your take on it?

• Banned
Does anyone remember the fiction book, The Kin of Ata are Waiting for You?

It's about a man who is injured in an accident, and this dreaming aboriginal community takes him in. He's not a good man, but as a result of his experience with this community he is transformed.

It's always been on of my favorites.

• Banned
“I’ve dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas; they’ve gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the color of my mind.” Emily Bronte Englist novelist.

“I dream, therefore I exist.” J. August Strindberg (1849-1912), Swedish dramatist, novelist, poet.

” Now Allah has created the dream not only as a means of guidance and instruction, I refer to the dream, but he has made it a window on the Unseen. ” Words of the Prophet Mohammed, Arabia, 7th century A.D.

” In a dream, in a vision of the night, when deep sleep falleth upon men, in slumberings upon the bed; then he openeth the ears of men, and sealeth their instructions.” words of Elihu, in Job 33.15…..Holy Land, sometimes B.C.

““Man is a genius when he is dreaming.” Akira Kurosawa. Japanese filmmaker.

“The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.” Eleanor Roosevelt

” And He said, ” Hear now my words: If there be a prophet among you, I , the Lord, will make Myself known to him in a vision, and will speak unto him in a dream.” Words of the Lord of the Universe revealed to Moses, Aaron and Miriam…. and preserved in Numbers 12.6

““He, who does not believe in the true dream, does not believe in Allah nor in the Day of Reckoning.” Words of Mohammed

“Dream is not a revelation. If a dream affords the dreamer some light on himself, it is not the person with closed eyes who makes the discovery, but the person with open eyes lucid enough to fit thoughts together. Dream — a scintillating mirage surrounded by shadows — is essentially POETRY.” Michel Leiris (1901-90), French anthropologist, author.

“Dreams are often most profound when they seem the most crazy.” Sigmund Freud, The Interpretation of Dreams, 1900.

“Whoso regardeth dreams is like him that catcheth at a shadow, and followeth after the wind.” Apopcrypha. Ecclesiasticus 34:2.

“You see things and you say ‘Why?’. But I dream things that never were, and I say ‘Why Not?’” George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950), Anglo-Irish playwright, critic.

“The soul in sleep gives proof of its divine nature”. Cicero

“If the dream is a translation of waking life, waking life is also a translation of the dream.” Rene Magritte (1849-1912), Surrealist.

“I am against nature. I don’t dig nature at all. I think nature is very unnatural. I think the truly natural things are dreams, which nature can’t touch with decay.” Bob Dylan (b.1941), U.S. singer, songwriter.

““There couldn’t be a society of people who didn’t dream. They’d be dead in two weeks.” William Burroughs (b. 1914), U.S. Author.

““I can never decide whether my dreams are the result of my thoughts, or my thoughts the result of my dreams.” D.H. Lawrence (1885-1930), English novelist.

” Let us learn to dream, gentlemen, and then we may perhaps find the truth."
F.A. Keule, German chemist, who discovered the structure of benzene in a dream

“We are such stuff as dreams are made on.” William Shakespeare .

Dreams are nothing more than your brain working while you are sleeping. Dreams have no bearing on reality.

Dreams are nothing more than your brain working while you are sleeping. Dreams have no bearing on reality.

I think they have alot of bearing on reality. If you don't understand your subconscious then how do you expect to understand your conscious mind?

I don't think anyone who honestly believes the Bible can deny that Dreams are important.

For years I had very vivid dreams and waking visions of an image and I never figured out why, or what it was.
A few years ago we were at a movie and the very last scene freaked me out. That was it almost exactly. I asked the wife what that particular scene was, and she said "that's the tree of life". I started crying.

Knowing (2009) - IMDb

m2-9.jpg

Last edited:
Dreams are the mind/brain complex's sleep adjustment, without which the connection would burn out. Dreams do reveal what is most urgent, or most anxiety provoking in our waking day.

In Buddhism, there is "Dream Yoga" a form of lucid dreaming. Then there is the work of Fritz Perls in using Gestalt Therapy in dreams. I like the work of Eugene Gendlin, Let your Body Interpret your dreams.

And the fiction writing of Dorothy Bryant about a dreaming society in The Kin of Ata are Waiting for You.

In Buddhism, there is "Dream Yoga" a form of lucid dreaming. Then there is the work of Fritz Perls in using Gestalt Therapy in dreams. I like the work of Eugene Gendlin, Let your Body Interpret your dreams.

And the fiction writing of Dorothy Bryant about a dreaming society in The Kin of Ata are Waiting for You.
Buddhism will lead you to.....well, you know.

Forum List

Back